follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Morimoto 2-stroke DRL LED

Anyone had any experience, positive or negative, with the Morimoto 2Stroke 9005 LED replacement in an FR-S? Supposedly it retains DRL and Hi-beam function in an FR-S standard housing without giving up reach at night.

Experienced opinions welcome.
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
Chimera (08-24-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm currently running the H11 2Strokes in my low beams, and so far they've been amazing. @continuecrushing has tried them in his high beams/DRL, but I believe it's a tight squeeze trying to get the bulb in.

I'll let him chime in on that.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I'm currently running the H11 2Strokes in my low beams, and so far they've been amazing. @continuecrushing has tried them in his high beams/DRL, but I believe it's a tight squeeze trying to get the bulb in.

I'll let him chime in on that.
Yup, I've got them in the high beams currently, but I had to "lube" the oring a bit to get it in (yeeeeaaaah...).

Haven't tested them yet (other than, yup they turn on) because no driveshaft in car lol.

I have hid's in my low beam, and you could definitely see the nasty "yellow" light from the halogens when my high beams were on. The 2 strokes should provide more light and a nice white color too.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
SlammedSilly

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
so quick question, to the people running these... hows the light output when its raining/snowing (if you get snow) bc i dont want to get these if the output is bad in the rain/snow
SlammedSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
the OEM FRS head lights also have a "squirrel finder" tab in them, so you might be also blinding oncoming cars if you change to HID's or LED's. just keep that in mind, unless you bend that tab out of the way
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
continuecrushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
the OEM FRS head lights also have a "squirrel finder" tab in them, so you might be also blinding oncoming cars if you change to HID's or LED's. just keep that in mind, unless you bend that tab out of the way
@Manic can chime in, but the 2stroke led's shouldn't need the squirrel finders bent down. Because the led bulb is designed to have the "filament" (the spot where light actually emits from the bulb" as the halogens, it should be reflecting light in the proper spots inside the projector.

HID's normally need the finders bent down since they just spew light everywhere and hope for the best lol. Jk, kind of.

But I don't think we'e see any issues with the 2strokes causing glare on the frs.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Just to be clear and avoid confusion, the thread refers to mounting the lights in the DRL/High beam location.

@continuecrushing, any modifications needed to get fitment besides "lubing the o-ring"?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
continuecrushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami301 View Post
Just to be clear and avoid confusion, the thread refers to mounting the lights in the DRL/High beam location.

@continuecrushing, any modifications needed to get fitment besides "lubing the o-ring"?
Nope! I'll have install shots/review when I get a driveshaft on the car though.

Next week we can try and do a comparison of stock lows vs 2stroke lows and stock high vs 2stroke high.
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Chimera (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
That was one of my first concerns when going with the 2Strokes since I absolutely can't stand people who do shoddy HID swaps and end up blinding everyone on the road. However, in testing and in practice, I haven't seen any issues with excessive glare or people getting upset at me.

Here are some photos for comparison

This user has a stock halogen on the left and an LED bulb with a bent squirrel finder on the right:

Here's how HIDs would look without bending the squirrel finders:

And here's my headlights with the 2Strokes and unbent squirrel finders:

Granted, all the photos couldn't possibly be taken with the same camera settings/lighting/distances, but from what you can see, the 2Strokes do a very good job of keeping the pattern lean with the squirrel finders. They even have a smaller and darker pattern than stock halogens!

As I said, I've yet to have anyone get mad at me for my 2Strokes, or at the very least no one has flashed their high beams at me in anger.
SlammedSilly (08-27-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
Nope! I'll have install shots/review when I get a driveshaft on the car though.

Next week we can try and do a comparison of stock lows vs 2stroke lows and stock high vs 2stroke high.
Thanks for chiming in - interested in the review, but I was wondering if you could just quickly check to confirm that they do allow the DRL to retain the high-beam function (or at least somewhat of one? I love my LED DRLs, but I have always been disappointed to lose the high beam functionality - I literally never use it living in a city, but I definitely don't like "upgrading" something if it means losing functionality - would be nice to have some sort of compromise for the DRL.)
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
continuecrushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Thanks for chiming in - interested in the review, but I was wondering if you could just quickly check to confirm that they do allow the DRL to retain the high-beam function (or at least somewhat of one? I love my LED DRLs, but I have always been disappointed to lose the high beam functionality - I literally never use it living in a city, but I definitely don't like "upgrading" something if it means losing functionality - would be nice to have some sort of compromise for the DRL.)
I'll check-they should though, when we were doing voltage/amp testing they worked as low as 6 or 7 volts.

I'll find out for sure though!
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (08-28-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

OK, not so good news on these.

On the FR-S, they do run at practically full high beam power in the DRL setting. So they are arguably too bright for daytime use, especially toward the time of day in the 15 minutes before the auto-headlight kicks in.

They are only middling as high beams- you are giving up reach at night- because rather than a central hotspot, they actually create a pronounced donut shaped beam in the FR-S high beam application. There is literally a dead spot in the middle of the pattern.

So, the bottom line is- unacceptable in the DRL/high beam application.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
AREN (12-19-2016), Bonburner (09-28-2020), SlammedSilly (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

On the FR-S, they do run at practically full high beam power in the DRL setting. So they are arguably too bright for daytime use, especially toward the time of day in the 15 minutes before the auto-headlight kicks in.

They are only middling as high beams- you are giving up reach at night- because rather than a central hotspot, they actually create a pronounced donut shaped beam in the FR-S high beam application. There is literally a dead spot in the middle of the pattern.

Is that with just the normal DRLs on, or the pseudo-highbeams? and yeah - way too bright for normal DRLs, so thank you for clarifying that.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

every led i dealt with for the drls was always in full power mode and looked exactly the same brightness when i switched to high beams
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote