follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

View Poll Results: Proposed FS thread cleanup
Clean it up! 22 39.29%
Add some posting rules. 11 19.64%
Both! 29 51.79%
Leave it as it is. 6 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
We're leaning towards having sticky FS thread w regional mod.

If you or if you have some member in mind LMK.

BUT don't forget, we're still discussing about it, so we don't have anything set in stone. If you can think any better idea, keep posting w mentioning me (cuz we have 1000 other threads monitoring)

Thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #16
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
We're leaning towards having sticky FS thread w regional mod.

If you or if you have some member in mind LMK.

BUT don't forget, we're still discussing about it, so we don't have anything set in stone. If you can think any better idea, keep posting w mentioning me (cuz we have 1000 other threads monitoring)

Thanks
is there a reason against the sub section for separate threads?
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
is there a reason against the sub section for separate threads?

Hm... If we do, there gonna be more & more regional section sub WTS/WTB threads & feels pointless to have general WTS/WTB threads... but that's just me. Other mods/admin might feel different.

Sent from my mighty mind
Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #18
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Regional for sale should be limited to local pick up only maybe.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #19
midnight23

Quote:
Hm... If we do, there gonna be more & more regional section sub WTS/WTB threads & feels pointless to have general WTS/WTB threads... but that's just me. Other mods/admin might feel different.

Sent from my mighty mind

Eventually the sticky thread will be overrun with sales and it will be time consuming to go through and look for things. Bumping a quote from a sticky just creates so much clutter whereas separate threads can easily be sorted.

It's better to setup the forum for the future because it is only going to continue to grow each month.
The Following User Says Thank You to midnight23 For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (01-09-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #20
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Eventually the sticky thread will be overrun with sales and it will be time consuming to go through and look for things. Bumping a quote from a sticky just creates so much clutter whereas separate threads can easily be sorted.

It's better to setup the forum for the future because it is only going to continue to grow each month.
Or make a rule that, there's no reply & sales only posts. If you have any question, you PM the seller.

That's just my 2 cents
Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Regional for sale should be limited to local pick up only maybe.
That's an interesting idea
Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #22
midnight23

Quote:
Or make a rule that, there's no reply & sales only posts. If you have any question, you PM the seller.

That's just my 2 cents
That just goes back to my point about the large scale... no one wants to go through 10 pages of posts to find something when they could easily just see a thread title.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #23
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
That just goes back to my point about the large scale... no one wants to go through 10 pages of posts to find something when they could easily just see a thread title.

Then mind as well just keep all the sells in general WTS/WTB thread. What's the point of having multiple WTS/WTS thread?

Not trying to be mean, but just trying to see the justification.

Sent from my mighty mind
Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #24
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Then mind as well just keep all the sells in general WTS/WTB thread. What's the point of having multiple WTS/WTS thread?

Sent from my mighty mind
It's just a lot easier to scroll through a list of titles in a sub section or search the sub section for a specific item instead of reading through pages of posts in a thread.
Some people like to search local first instead of hitting up the general/everywhere sale section as well and this makes its less tedious.

There's a decent amount of chatter/"still available"/sold posting in my regional FS thread that makes it a pain to look through. The useless chatter would still happen but it would be confined within a thread and not much of an issue because most FS don't usually go over 2 pages and if an item is sold its usually updated in the first post instead of adding yet another post to many pages.

Check out the regional sales sections on NASIOC. It's a better organizational method.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #25
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
It's just a lot easier to scroll through a list of titles in a sub section or search the sub section for a specific item instead of reading through pages of posts in a thread.
Some people like to search local first instead of hitting up the general/everywhere sale section as well.

There's a decent amount of chatter/"still available"/sold posting in my regional FS thread that makes it a pain to look through. The useless chatter would still happen but it would be confined within a thread and not much of an issue because most FS don't usually go over 2 pages and if an item is sold its usually updated in the first post instead of adding yet another post to many pages.

Check out the regional sales sections on NASIOC. It's a better organizational method.

Thanks for the detail.

I see your point, but that's why I'm suggesting a regional mod to keep those chat out by deleting em.

I didn't know NASIOC had a regional sales. That place is crazy, when I had Impreza, I try avoid going there lol

Sent from my mighty mind
Old 01-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #26
midnight23

Quote:

Sent from my mighty mind
Regional population, like Andrew said..NASIOC's So Cal section is insane for sales, the first 3 pages are almost all the same day. Eventually if this isn't created the general thread will become the same way, this just simplifies things for local people. I know for a fact it is easier to get a locals attention on the general for sale section at this moment because of the way it is organized. So if that was replicated into the regional part it would just make things easier if that makes sense.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the detail.

I see your point, but that's why I'm suggesting a regional mod to keep those chat out by deleting em.

I didn't know NASIOC had a regional sales. That place is crazy, when I had Impreza, I try avoid going there lol

Sent from my mighty mind
A regional mod & a stickey will work for a while, but eventually the thread will get way too big, no matter the moderation. In the long term, a local for sale section is a better idea. I think for right now, the quickest and most reasonable solution would be to assign a regional mod to clean up the sticky.

The reason for a local for sale section is the exact same reason why you go to the store to buy something rather than shop on amazon; sometimes you need something fast, sometimes you want it in your hands before you commit to the purchase. Personally, I try to make the vast majority of my purchases regionally. Supporting the local economy, and if I get ripped off, it's easier to put my foot in someones ass if they're local. Another benefit is regional sales allow people to meet, and it builds the community even further.

I'm speaking from experience, I've been a member of Rx-7club.com since the 90's (before the forum crash that erased everything). I watched the local NW region for sale thread turn into a for sale section that eventually was implimented accross the entire forum.
The site has it's few official moderators, and every other forum is governed by the volunteer addicts and junkies who cant get enough wankel in their veigns, and it works quite well over there.

Each region has a simple forsale sub section that is moderated; members can close (but not delete) their own threads once items are sold. Take a look: http://www.rx7club.com/regional-foru...ming-events-7/
Again I volunteer to be a mod, but I can't dedicate more than 2-3 hours a week, as I also have a fulltime job at the VA, voulnteer for IAVA & I'm the Chair for the veterans alumni committee at UCI.
ichitaka05 (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #28
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
A regional mod & a stickey will work for a while, but eventually the thread will get way too big, no matter the moderation. In the long term, a local for sale section is a better idea. I think for right now, the quickest and most reasonable solution would be to assign a regional mod to clean up the sticky.

The reason for a local for sale section is the exact same reason why you go to the store to buy something rather than shop on amazon; sometimes you need something fast, sometimes you want it in your hands before you commit to the purchase. Personally, I try to make the vast majority of my purchases regionally. Supporting the local economy, and if I get ripped off, it's easier to put my foot in someones ass if they're local. Another benefit is regional sales allow people to meet, and it builds the community even further.

I'm speaking from experience, I've been a member of Rx-7club.com since the 90's (before the forum crash that erased everything). I watched the local NW region for sale thread turn into a for sale section that eventually was implimented accross the entire forum.
The site has it's few official moderators, and every other forum is governed by the volunteer addicts and junkies who cant get enough wankel in their veigns, and it works quite well over there.

Each region has a simple forsale sub section that is moderated; members can close (but not delete) their own threads once items are sold. Take a look: http://www.rx7club.com/regional-foru...ming-events-7/
Again I volunteer to be a mod, but I can't dedicate more than 2-3 hours a week, as I also have a fulltime job at the VA, voulnteer for IAVA & I'm the Chair for the veterans alumni committee at UCI.
Thanks, I remember 90's rx7club.com (I used to have an account there).

This comment isn't pointing specifically at you. This is pointing at everyone.

Anyways, you've pointed two things that I was pointing out.
1. As for now, having regional mod & sticky should be efficient enough. When it grows more, we can think about sub section.
2. I've asked to see if there's someone volunteer to be regional mod, but no one but you have spoken up.

& here comes the MAIN concern for me; You guys claim here FS is busy... but is there ANYONE here willing to spent cleaning up, closing, ban the spammer & suspending out of hand members? Just an example, I'm getting over 40 reports, mentions, PMs (total & not each) daily for general concern in the forum. I'm spending average of 3~4 hrs reading (I'm a slow reader lol), replying, cleaning, banning & other stuff. Worse days, I'm spending over 6hrs clean the shit up. That's after or between my full time job.
You guys claim FS/TB is decently busy... so expect to spend roughly 1/2~1 hrs a day reading & cleaning up the FS/TB section... so looking at 4.5~7hrs out from your free time doing stuff PLUS if there's some report other than FS/TB stuff, you gotta clean that up too (of course, admin & mods will try to help too). Or were you guys thinking of making mods do that part too? Major thanks to Dave-ROR, general FS/TB section is clean (but still get hate posts get posted in FB group page & it's pretty funny), but going through 30 classified sections isn't easy, yeah we go through vendor classified section too & it's very time consuming than you think.

I'm not against the idea of regional FS/TB sub section, but just for sec see from mod/admin side of view. I'm not getting paid to do this, I've volunteer to be a mod & happy to help you guys out... BUT without reasonable explanation or idea, it doesn't function as everyone thinks, just mods & admin get the short end of the stick and get blame for not doing their job.

I hope, that explain enough to see my point-of-view on this.