follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
From what i can see it looks reasnoble
bit of knock in places and looks like IAM is less than 1 as you have some positive flkc

it looks like its running a bit rich as well

you need to log
IAM
commanded afr
LTFT
STFT
maf v
drop out kc learned and ambient and oil coolant temps

and do some full throttle runs from 2000- 7000

you would probably benifit from the jdl specific cam timing as well

have a read of the ecu logging link below and maf scaling

looks like its going to need a bit of tiking pulled in places and the maf scaling
Sweet! Thanks for the advice! I'll try to apply the JDL cam timing to the tune and do a few more test runs and post up the results.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
deuncos (04-04-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #16
G-awesome

Quote:
From what i can see it looks reasnoble
bit of knock in places and looks like IAM is less than 1 as you have some positive flkc

it looks like its running a bit rich as well

you need to log
IAM
commanded afr
LTFT
STFT
maf v
drop out kc learned and ambient and oil coolant temps

and do some full throttle runs from 2000- 7000

you would probably benifit from the jdl specific cam timing as well

have a read of the ecu logging link below and maf scaling

looks like its going to need a bit of tiking pulled in places and the maf scaling
Here's my next batch of runs (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160409?log=1&data=1
I haven't applied the JDL specfic cam timings yet. Let me know your thoughts!
deuncos (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #17
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
Here's my next batch of runs (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160409?log=1&data=1
@steve99 I'm not very good at reading logs but it still looks like he's running rich?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@steve99 I'm not very good at reading logs but it still looks like he's running rich?
bit hard to tell from those logs as its just general driving. need axfull throttle run from 2000 to redline

its getting a bit of knock arround 3000 area that looks like its dropping iam, you need to log iam as well drop kc learned.

the ltft are a bit high in places, so probably needs a bit of maf scaling
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #19
G-awesome

Quote:
bit hard to tell from those logs as its just general driving. need axfull throttle run from 2000 to redline

its getting a bit of knock arround 3000 area that looks like its dropping iam, you need to log iam as well drop kc learned.

the ltft are a bit high in places, so probably needs a bit of maf scaling
Gotcha. I'll figure out how to apply the JDL cam timings, crank on IAM and I'll post up cleaner full throttle runs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
deuncos (04-10-2016), steve99 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
G-awesome

I think I'm starting to understand datalogging/dyno runs/tuning much better after doing a bit more research!

I figured out how to use RomRaider, apply the JDL cam timings and updated the OFT tune accordingly. I never thought I would ever mess around with ECU tunings but there's a first for everything and it was really cool learning experience.

Anyways, I found a fairly quiet office park in Vancouver and did a bunch of runs hoping that no cops miraculously popped up during a run. Here's the fresh batch of datalogs:
First gear pulls (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/201...3?log=0&data=1
Third gear pulls (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/201...0?log=0&data=1

So from my understanding, I noticed that IAM stays constant at 1 for the first gear pulls which is good but with 3rd gear pulls, it fluctuated from 0.98 to 0.94 so there's a tad bit of knock? Chevron is the only gas station in Canada that sells 93+ Octane gas (which is what I use) and is the most convenient. Shell 91 V-power is the next best thing but with fewer fueling locations.

Let me know your thoughts!
deuncos (04-11-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #21
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I think I'm starting to understand datalogging/dyno runs/tuning much better after doing a bit more research!

I figured out how to use RomRaider, apply the JDL cam timings and updated the OFT tune accordingly. I never thought I would ever mess around with ECU tunings but there's a first for everything and it was really cool learning experience.

Anyways, I found a fairly quiet office park in Vancouver and did a bunch of runs hoping that no cops miraculously popped up during a run. Here's the fresh batch of datalogs:
First gear pulls (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/201...3?log=0&data=1
Third gear pulls (3 runs): http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/201...0?log=0&data=1

So from my understanding, I noticed that IAM stays constant at 1 for the first gear pulls which is good but with 3rd gear pulls, it fluctuated from 0.98 to 0.94 so there's a tad bit of knock? Chevron is the only gas station in Canada that sells 93+ Octane gas (which is what I use) and is the most convenient. Shell 91 V-power is the next best thing but with fewer fueling locations.

Let me know your thoughts!

looks reasonable
It running a bit on the rich side higher rpm
maybe just do the OL maf scaling or maybe try wayno's example maf scales or have a read of his guide to adjust your ol maf scale . As its rich its not dangerous but will likely cost you a few hp.

yes you have some knock in a few places, if that's the best fuel available easiest option will be to copy the BASE TIMING B table from wayno's example maps, its smoothed and has a degree of timing removed over 5000 rpm. that will likely sort your knock.

get your fuel sorted first then tackle the knock.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
G-awesome (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #22
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
You guys with JDL headers might want to try shiv's cam tables for JDL they were for catless version but if its similar design to catted should work.

Intake and Exhaust VVT CAM tables for JDL UEL catless headers.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=10
Those are exactly the same as the regular E85 UEL AVCS and shouldn't be used for petrol.

People on petrol should be using the OTS AVCS tables or the UEL tables copied from my examples.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
GoobyFRS (02-14-2017), steve99 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #23
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Those are exactly the same as the regular E85 UEL AVCS and shouldn't be used for petrol.

People on petrol should be using the OTS AVCS tables or the UEL tables copied from my examples.
Haha yeah your right, their same, was old post looks like they used that avcs for v2 tunes.

Yep use wayno,s avcs for uel will likey be slightly better for petrol. although it was optimised for ofh catless header.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #24
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post

What does petrol/E85 have to do with AVCS?

Shiv stated earlier in that thread that the E85 AVCS shouldn't differ from the petrol map:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Sure, just email me. I'll email you the custom Stage 2 JDL UEL E85 map I developed on the dyno. All you will need to do is copy and paste the VVT mapping data over to your current Stage 2 UEL 93 map.
Furthermore I have tried both the OTS mapping and this special mapping on my JDL UEL, and the car went from "why doesn't it drive like my friend's" to "this car totally drives like my friend's!"
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
G-awesome

Since Shiv released his OFH tune a few days ago and I'm currently mucking with my Stage 2 UEL tune at the moment, I decided to load the OFH tune in my car just to test it out on my JDL catted UEL header for shits and giggles. One thing I noticed right away is that the cold start has been disabled since the OFH are catless which makes sense.

Here's the results (2 runs): http://datazap.me/u/gawesome/2016041...ta=1-8-9-10-13
Just note, I haven't modify the tune with the JDL VVT data, base timing B tables, MAF scaling, or any of the good stuff yet. This is purely a baseline run.

So if I'm interpreting the data correctly, my fuel is still running a bit rich as before (but not as bad as before?), and I'm getting a bit of knock. Thoughts?
tato.valverde (04-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #26
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Since Shiv released his OFH tune a few days ago and I'm currently mucking with my Stage 2 UEL tune at the moment, I decided to load the OFH tune in my car just to test it out on my JDL catted UEL header for shits and giggles. One thing I noticed right away is that the cold start has been disabled since the OFH are catless which makes sense.

Here's the results (2 runs): http://datazap.me/u/gawesome/2016041...ta=1-8-9-10-13
Just note, I haven't modify the tune with the JDL VVT data, base timing B tables, MAF scaling, or any of the good stuff yet. This is purely a baseline run.

So if I'm interpreting the data correctly, my fuel is still running a bit rich as before (but not as bad as before?), and I'm getting a bit of knock. Thoughts?
From my understanding, FLKC under -1 isn't anything to really worry about as long as IAM stays at a consistent 1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). A stock car on the stock tune will see more than that. You're running a tad rich, but the OTS OFT tunes are designed that way for a safety margin.

You should log a run all the way up to redline though, I'm also running a JDL Catted UEL header as well, and on the Stage 2 tune I saw most of my knock between 7000-7300 RPM, and had to pull a small amount of timing.

Here is a recent run of mine:
http://datazap.me/u/bfife22/618-run-...0&data=1-10-12

If you've since updated your tune with the JDL VVT data, let me know how it worked out for you!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:13 AM   #27
G-awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFIFE22 View Post
From my understanding, FLKC under -1 isn't anything to really worry about as long as IAM stays at a consistent 1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). A stock car on the stock tune will see more than that. You're running a tad rich, but the OTS OFT tunes are designed that way for a safety margin.

You should log a run all the way up to redline though, I'm also running a JDL Catted UEL header as well, and on the Stage 2 tune I saw most of my knock between 7000-7300 RPM, and had to pull a small amount of timing.

Here is a recent run of mine:
http://datazap.me/u/bfife22/618-run-...0&data=1-10-12

If you've since updated your tune with the JDL VVT data, let me know how it worked out for you!
Ah..this tune was a while back when I didn't know what I was doing and what I was looking at! lol Run 9 was TOO perfect and run 10 made alot more sense with the amount of knock.

I did a lot more research and experimenting with many tunes since then and I'm currently running a modified stg2 tune on better quality shell 91oct gas than the chevron 93oct gas that I was using before. Turns out using crappy gas with the catted uel header made my engine very knock-y around mid to high range rpms and made my IAM fall faster than Justin Bieber's fall from grace! I used a more OEM maf scale using Wayno's stg2 'lean' version which got my afr closer to commanded afr so it's running less rich and better ltft overall. Also pulled a bit of timing in the knock-y areas. Will be adding a touch more timing back into the ignition map and collecting more data to make sure I'm not pulling tooo much timing.

Looking at your log, I think you can optimize your MAF a bit further so it's closer to commanded afr so it's not as rich. It should improve your ltft closer to 2-3% instead of 7%. Or you can leave it as is so it's running richer as a precautionary measure at the expense of more fuel used.

Will be working on my 93oct tune next! I should be done by the end of summer at this rate!
TofuJoe (11-24-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #28
fibble

Drives: 2015 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your tune looks much better.....

Can I just check - did you apply the JDL specific AVCS timing to your tune?

If not, was is just OTS OFT Stg 2 UEL AVCS timing or did you customise?
fibble is offline   Reply With Quote