follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
i was wondering if an axle is broken the car cant be driven at all right ? not even to the closest shop. you would need to tow it ?
Nope, and you need to flat bed it. I jacked it up, verified the CV was broken, verified it wasn't going to make a mess and called a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
CV joints are at their strongest straight, so ride height might be as much a problem as increasing the power.
If they reach the limit of their movement by the angle, under load, than something is going to break. Reaching the limit of extension or compression could also rip the clip off or crack the body.
At the limit for angle the shaft can touch the outer edge of the body and crack it, also the cage can crack and break at extreme angles under load. Both would give the clicking sound.

I'm not sure what sort of CV's are fitted to the inner but if the shaft is breaking inside the boot it could be where it's been touching the body at extreme angles?
I have only heard of 1 person breaking the shaft. They were on slicks at a drag strip, and with fair power to boot so that is acceptable.

The cage on my CV broke down the middle (in the same place as another members). I will post pictures later. They are all breaking in the point between the bearings. If my tulip is still around ill verify if there are any impact marks on the inside of the base of the tulip where the shaft might impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 View Post
you can just buy and replace the axle. Simple job.
Most of us have... Some of us have done it multiple times. I just bought DSS axles to resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Tore a boot at the first event I did. Car had about 1,200 miles.

The axles are weak. People who are extremely low have more issues than others cause the angle of the axles get more and more jacked up as you lower it. I would lower mine a little more but don't want to risk breaking an axle.

Waiting for subframe and diff risers to become available. Also gonna make an upgrade to DSS axles down the road
Yeah I was hoping diff risers but I would rather buy new axles than raise my car up. Ill live with my childish wasys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
If I could dislike or thumb down this post I would. Do you see how they market this car? Plus, I haven't tracked or raced my car once and I have these issues. For a car with this little power, I can't believe the axles are an issue.
Exactly. Post up your issues if you would. I would love to see a nice roster and see realistically how many people are doing what, at what height, with what power.

@feldy thanks for the video! I was planning on recording some once I get my car running again as well.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-02-2016), Tcoat (09-14-2014)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The risers don't raise the whole car up. It raises the subframe and diff up allowing the axles to not be at such extreme angles which helps take added stress off. It also gives more under clearance.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
userjack6880

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
not everyone that has broken an axle had been racing the car. Do your self a favor and do more research before typing next time. Might look a little smarter. Theres threads on here that talk about the clinking and clanking from the axles. Look at my post stats you will find the threads.

Here is video from today. FRS suspension shots. Racecomp RCE springs and Koni Yellow inserts.
Interesting angle to view the car from. Also looks like you got a cone stuck in there :P.
----------------------------------------------
userjack6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I have only heard of 1 person breaking the shaft. They were on slicks at a drag strip, and with fair power to boot so that is acceptable.

The cage on my CV broke down the middle (in the same place as another members). I will post pictures later. They are all breaking in the point between the bearings. If my tulip is still around ill verify if there are any impact marks on the inside of the base of the tulip where the shaft might impact.
Thanks. I will be interested in any pics and any sign of impact.
For the cage to break at that point suggests extreme angles because it carries zero loading normally. It's just there to keep the balls in position.
Could you check it for indents where it broke, from the balls and scuffing on the outside faces? The indents should be minimal, quite tiny at low mileage. If it's wearing there it will weaken it and wear there would likely be from not enough grease at the factory or not up to spec?

I used to have a business selling, fitting and repairing cv joints, so i'm interested from that angle.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Thanks. I will be interested in any pics and any sign of impact.
For the cage to break at that point suggests extreme angles because it carries zero loading normally. It's just there to keep the balls in position.
Could you check it for indents where it broke, from the balls and scuffing on the outside faces? The indents should be minimal, quite tiny at low mileage. If it's wearing there it will weaken it and wear there would likely be from not enough grease at the factory or not up to spec?

I used to have a business selling, fitting and repairing cv joints, so i'm interested from that angle.
Yes I will take detailed photos as long as Toyota didn't dump the axles. They wanted to see the axles so I dropped the car off a few days ago but the tulip should see be in the diff. When. I swing by wed I wil take some detailed photos. I will also strap down some go pros to my car to get footage of the angle where I broke it before I re-adjust my suspension to help out. I just immediately upgraded the axles as I feel there may be a problem with th OEM setup that just makes it a weak mechanical point compared to other cars. I have driven a number of my previous vehicles on the same road in the same condition without issues. Hopefilly if get enough info we can find the thresholds.
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
sierra (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Picture of my left axle faillure on the drag strip.

trueno86power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
sierra

The first observation is that the inner race shows the shaft was extended in the normal operating position, causing the inner joint to run extended with nowhere to go with further extension.
Either the car was lowered making the shaft run at an angle and pulling it out from the centre position or if it was horizontal the shaft is too short by perhaps 20mm?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've been having the clicking for a few thousand miles now and it's becoming more and more profound to the point where my girlfriend is even saying "WTF was that? What did you break now?"

I'm really not wanting to go to the dealer since every time I go for any little complaint/concern they dismiss it or they just throw the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" line at me. None of my local dealers have much experience with this car so any work that has to get done takes forever. I can't afford to be out of a car because of techs who don't know the car so I'm stuck between waiting it out until they break or until there's a TSB out for it (unlikely).

Any documents or tech notes that anyone can share from their experience of having their axles replaces? I'd like to replace them myself with a heftier set but unfortunately don't have that kind of money to just put down right now. Anything that'd help my case would be great.
ProTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
sierra

When does it click?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
not everyone that has broken an axle had been racing the car. Do your self a favor and do more research before typing next time. Might look a little smarter. Theres threads on here that talk about the clinking and clanking from the axles. Look at my post stats you will find the threads.

Here is video from today. FRS suspension shots. Racecomp RCE springs and Koni Yellow inserts.
Thanks for the video... I've completely understand now. I'll change my axle and put the car for storage this winter. At spring, I'll raise it.
trueno86power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Here's my thread I started awhile back. There's a video of the clicking sound.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43936

Never tracked. On RCE Yellows.

I started hearing creaking when I entered/exited the car. Then after my 1300 mile road trip to Florida, I heard it every time I accelerate. It has gradually gotten worse.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
Any documents or tech notes that anyone can share from their experience of having their axles replaces? I'd like to replace them myself with a heftier set but unfortunately don't have that kind of money to just put down right now. Anything that'd help my case would be great.
Unfortunately toyobaru doesn't sell parts to rebuild (well they sell almost parts but it costs almost as much as the entier axle). And the performance axles cost barely more than the stock ones. Stock are 340-440ea depending on where you shop.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
boxer 2.5

Drives: 2007 Impreza, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Most of us have... Some of us have done it multiple times. I just bought DSS axles to resolve the issue.
I was referring to the guy with the flatbed quote. No need to waste that much time and money. DSS axles are a good solution FTW
boxer 2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boxer 2.5 For This Useful Post:
nelsmar (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
crash.1340
BRZ FNG

Drives: 00 Civic LX/CWP or GBS BRZ someday
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Damn, that really shows precisely how soft the diff and subframe bushings are. Good thing there are upgrades!
crash.1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
more money than brains, stance bro