follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clicking / tapping sound + fuel pump noise + clutch grinding

Hello,

I recently went to the dealer ship to get noise problems fixed. They fixed it, but 2 days later new noises came all around the car......

Information of the vehicle:
- Less than 3k miles (I have another car I drive daily)
- 2015 model
- No engine nor suspension modification

Noise 1:
Noise coming from the right side (passenger side), seems like it comes from the top of the cabin (on the dash) or the passenger door! Tapping sound, as if something is tapping something else. Its not metal sound tapping each other, its more like finger tapping a hard plastic. Also the trunk clicking sound / tapping sound is back and louder. Point is, there are too much noise all around the passenger side area. What shall I do?

----------
----------

Noise 2:
In the engine bay area, there is a noise like a pump broken.
I assume it’s the fuel pump issue that the twins have?
It makes a lot of noise... its a weird noise. Its as if the sound of someone trying to suck an empty bottle of juice or something. That I know is a issue with the FRS, however many people get their pump replaced. Should I request that from the dealer?

----------
----------

Noise 3:
The clutch grinds when I am driving, when I am over 2000 rpm on any gear I can hear it grinding. Am I doing something wrong? I am not pressing on my clutch or anything, I am driving regularly.

----------
----------

Noise 4:
The shifter normal behavior is shaking, but mine is shaking more than the normal behavior. Additionally, there is a noise coming out of it. I am scared that it is my transmission. I have grinding on the clutch when I drive regularly. The shifter noise is more like a little tapping sounds. Very low pitch and very fast tapping sounds. As if someone is tapping on the keyboard really fast. I tried to remove the knob, but the sound is still there. When I put it on neutral the sound is gone. If the car is stopped and it is on any gear the sound is there.

----------
----------

I had the 2014 FRS, I had around 7000 miles. It went total loss and when I had the 2014, the fuel pump didn't make noise like the 2015 model I have right now. Additionally, I did not have a single noise in the car. How is that possible?

I want to ask the dealership to exchange car for a newer one, can I do that? I am afraid to leave it at the dealer ship and they break something or put 1k miles on it for testing LOL.

Last edited by Mikeez; 04-24-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Whatever you do, DONT trade it in. Your still under warranty, let the car sit at the dealership until you are satisfied.
Vroomin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin86 View Post
Whatever you do, DONT trade it in. Your still under warranty, let the car sit at the dealership until you are satisfied.

I meant to trade it in for another brand new FRS . Alright Vroomin86, that is a good idea.

I hate keeping it at the dealer ship, because when noise are involved they take it for long drives.. When I went for the trunk, they drove it around 40 miles. Like really?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
take it back to the dealership and explain it to them. none of those are normal sounds.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
take it back to the dealership and explain it to them. none of those are normal sounds.
I agree with you, . Thank you for the kind reply.

I am also open for other solutions, comments and feedbacks.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Shourewaters

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What exactly do you mean by clutch grinding? Clutches don't grind. They slip or explode lol.
Shourewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Right up front, I'll say that this is a noisy car compared to your average people mover, and that mine went through a number of strange noises during the first several thousand miles. For lack of a better word, it "outgrew" most of it. So some or all of this may just be growing pains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
Noise 1:
Noise coming from the right side (passenger side), seems like it comes from the top of the cabin (on the dash) or the passenger door! Tapping sound, as if something is tapping something else.
Check to see if your seat belt buckle is tapping the door. Also check the snap on the seat belt guide strap on the seat bolster to see if it's clicking because it's loose. The sound from that side can bounce around the cabin so that it isn't actually coming from where you think it is.

You might need to get a friend to sit over there and listen for it. It'll be difficult for you to find from the driver's seat. You may also want to plug the sound hole behind the passenger side carpet to make it quieter in the cabin so that you can pinpoint the sound more easily. The plastic plug in the cigarette lighter outlet in the glove box is made to fit perfectly in the sound hole to block out the intake noise.

Quote:
Noise 2:
In the engine bay area, there is a noise like a pump broken.
I assume it’s the fuel pump issue that the twins have?
It makes a lot of noise... its a weird noise. Its as if the sound of someone trying to suck an empty bottle of juice or something. That I know is a issue with the FRS, however many people get their pump replaced. Should I request that from the dealer?
The fuel pump noise is a high-pitched continuous chirp that sounds almost exactly like crickets singing. If that's the sound, replacing the pump is not worth the risk that something else will get screwed up in the process. Some people here have gone through three pumps without solving that problem. It's inherent in the design of a high pressure fuel pump, this is not the only car that does it, and the sound itself is not indicative of a failure.

If what you're hearing is not that chirp, you may want to record video of it and post it for us to hear. Also, if you're hearing it at idle, drop by your friendly neighborhood Harbor Freight store and pick up a mechanic's stethoscope. It looks like a doctor's stethoscope with a long metal probe on it. Then use the probe to touch various (non-moving) things under the hood to see if you can pinpoint the source of the sound.

Quote:
Noise 3:
The clutch grinds when I am driving, when I am over 2000 rpm on any gear I can hear it grinding. Am I doing something wrong? I am not pressing on my clutch or anything, I am driving regularly.
This description is way too vague. I think you need to record this noise and post it. At a minimum please try to describe in more detail what you're hearing and feeling.

Quote:
Noise 4:
The shifter normal behavior is shaking, but mine is shaking more than the normal behavior. Additionally, there is a noise coming out of it.
Shifter rattle is not unusual. Mine rattles like a sumbitch sometimes. After 35K miles, the transmission is still shifting just fine.

If you're convinced it's not normal shifter rattle, record and post it.

Quote:
I had the 2014 FRS, I had around 7000 miles. It went total loss and when I had the 2014, the fuel pump didn't make noise like the 2015 model I have right now. Additionally, I did not have a single noise in the car. How is that possible?
Maybe you were just lucky. As I said above, this is known to be a noisy car, but you're also not the first person to report a quiet one as well.

There are variations in build in ANY car. The difference here is that with this car, there is so much feedback to the driver that the driver experiences those differences, whereas a regular people mover has the driving experience dampened to the point that you can't hear or feel the variations. A minivan is a minivan is a minivan, not because one of them doesn't make a strange vibration, but because the minivan is so mushy that you can't feel it.

So don't panic just yet. There may actually be nothing wrong with your car that it won't outgrow. Post some recordings and relax.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Right up front, I'll say that this is a noisy car compared to your average people mover, and that mine went through a number of strange noises during the first several thousand miles. For lack of a better word, it "outgrew" most of it. So some or all of this may just be growing pains.
I don't really outgrow from annoying noise, haha.

Check to see if your seat belt buckle is tapping the door. Also check the snap on the seat belt guide strap on the seat bolster to see if it's clicking because it's loose. The sound from that side can bounce around the cabin so that it isn't actually coming from where you think it is.

I did that today, its not the seat belt. I even buckled them up to test this. You pointing obvious thing. The belt guide is not the noise, I would have figure it out. You are right, sound does bounce around

You might need to get a friend to sit over there and listen for it. It'll be difficult for you to find from the driver's seat. You may also want to plug the sound hole behind the passenger side carpet to make it quieter in the cabin so that you can pinpoint the sound more easily. The plastic plug in the cigarette lighter outlet in the glove box is made to fit perfectly in the sound hole to block out the intake noise.

I made my friend drive the car, I listened and then switch places. We both cannot determine exactly where the sound comes... my friend says its the cabin. What "sound hole behind the passenger side carpet"? I will try the intake noise blocking.

The fuel pump noise is a high-pitched continuous chirp that sounds almost exactly like crickets singing. If that's the sound, replacing the pump is not worth the risk that something else will get screwed up in the process. Some people here have gone through three pumps without solving that problem. It's inherent in the design of a high pressure fuel pump, this is not the only car that does it, and the sound itself is not indicative of a failure.

In that case... its not a high pitched continuous chirp.. I am assuming my belt drive or pulleys require to be changed... Its a lower pitch, continuous.. I will upload a video on the ASAP. I guess I will have to go for a turbo lol!

If what you're hearing is not that chirp, you may want to record video of it and post it for us to hear. Also, if you're hearing it at idle, drop by your friendly neighborhood Harbor Freight store and pick up a mechanic's stethoscope. It looks like a doctor's stethoscope with a long metal probe on it. Then use the probe to touch various (non-moving) things under the hood to see if you can pinpoint the source of the sound.

This description is way too vague. I think you need to record this noise and post it. At a minimum please try to describe in more detail what you're hearing and feeling.

I live in Canada, we don't have those . I will record a video, you guys have more expertise. I do hear it at idle and when I press on the clutch the sound is nearly gone.

Shifter rattle is not unusual. Mine rattles like a * sometimes. After 35K miles, the transmission is still shifting just fine.

If you're convinced it's not normal shifter rattle, record and post it.

I will record it as well and post.

Maybe you were just lucky. As I said above, this is known to be a noisy car, but you're also not the first person to report a quiet one as well.

There are variations in build in ANY car. The difference here is that with this car, there is so much feedback to the driver that the driver experiences those differences, whereas a regular people mover has the driving experience dampened to the point that you can't hear or feel the variations. A minivan is a minivan is a minivan, not because one of them doesn't make a strange vibration, but because the minivan is so mushy that you can't feel it.

So don't panic just yet. There may actually be nothing wrong with your car that it won't outgrow. Post some recordings and relax.
I replied inside the quote, in red and bold to see. Thanks extrashaky!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #9
extrashaky

Quote:
What "sound hole behind the passenger side carpet"?
The car has a sound tube that pipes intake noise into the car to make it seem sportier. If you look at the firewall in the passenger side footwell, you can pull down the carpet a little bit to reveal a grommet where the sound tube enters the cabin. If you plug this hole with the cover from the cigarette lighter outlet in the glove box, you block out the intake noise and make the cabin considerably quieter. That cover and grommet are made to fit together just for that purpose.

Pic:

Old 04-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The car has a sound tube that pipes intake noise into the car to make it seem sportier. If you look at the firewall in the passenger side footwell, you can pull down the carpet a little bit to reveal a grommet where the sound tube enters the cabin. If you plug this hole with the cover from the cigarette lighter outlet in the glove box, you block out the intake noise and make the cabin considerably quieter. That cover and grommet are made to fit together just for that purpose.

Pic:

How on Earth did you figure that information out? Wow, I didn't know about that. Can't I delete the tube completely, IOW where does it originate?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shourewaters View Post
What exactly do you mean by clutch grinding? Clutches don't grind. They slip or explode lol.
A loose clutch spring can make a grinding noise. I have had that problem on my Eclipse. I don't think it hurts anything but it does sound pretty bad.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
extrashaky

Quote:
Can't I delete the tube completely, IOW where does it originate?
Yes, you can remove the sound tube. You just have to plug where it enters the intake. You can buy a plug kit to make it look nice, or you can just plug it using a pipe plug from the hardware store.

Here's a search for the sound tube delete. You can read those threads yourself:

site:ft86club.com sound tube delete