follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #799
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Sorry.... But I don't think you realize what this is about. This is about me calling shiv in an attempt to use his product in a professional manner. However he has been avoiding me. Possibly just due to the fact he has been busy. Bit it is starting to look quite selective in what he does and does not answer. This is why I attempted to contact him privately to discuss something as simple as datalogging and flash time which actually matter to a tuner in which he has avoided me entirely. All of which @jamesm has also mentioned

No I am not a customer. So no Shiv does not need to "do what I say". But his own post implied that I should be his customer just to support his customer base. Hell as you may not know I offered my own code base and offered to help hardware wise for r&d testing for datalogging to shiv as I was one of the first to build my own datalogging hardware. So you may think I am pushy based off what one local has said, but in reality I have been trying to contribute to shiv and he has been ignoring me flat out and this was my last attempt at attempting to communicate with him as I am getting frustrated telling people to "wait".

However since the posts earlier shiv actually finally got back to me and asked for my phone number. So it looks like he is either wanting to yell my ear off or realize what James is saying is correct and that I genuinely wanted some answers.

You need to rember that shiv boasts the "open" name in an attempt to "change" how things are by making tunes open. I am one of the only tuners around that has been willing to accept this concept and yet I am having to fight and go out of my way to do so. How is this "open" when he only answers to end users, and not the tuners?
I could care less what it is about. It's how you conduct yourself. I have personally witnessed it! Meek and mild man. It goes a long way...
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyBlue86 For This Useful Post:
Cross (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #800
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry.... But I don't think you realize what this is about. This is about me calling shiv in an attempt to use his product in a professional manner. However he has been avoiding me. Possibly just due to the fact he has been busy. Bit it is starting to look quite selective in what he does and does not answer. This is why I attempted to contact him privately to discuss something as simple as datalogging and flash time which actually matter to a tuner in which he has avoided me entirely. All of which @jamesm has also mentioned

No I am not a customer. So no Shiv does not need to "do what I say". But his own post implied that I should be his customer just to support his customer base. Hell as you may not know I offered my own code base and offered to help hardware wise for r&d testing for datalogging to shiv as I was one of the first to build my own datalogging hardware. So you may think I am pushy based off what one local has said, but in reality I have been trying to contribute to shiv and he has been ignoring me flat out and this was my last attempt at attempting to communicate with him as I am getting frustrated telling people to "wait".

However since the posts earlier shiv actually finally got back to me and asked for my phone number. So it looks like he is either wanting to yell my ear off or realize what James is saying is correct and that I genuinely wanted some answers.

You need to rember that shiv boasts the "open" name in an attempt to "change" how things are by making tunes open. I am one of the only tuners around that has been willing to accept this concept and yet I am having to fight and go out of my way to do so. How is this "open" when he only answers to end users, and not the tuners?
Nelsmar,
Let me make this clear. You have been both pushy and rude to me. On numerous occasions. You have also accused me of things that I don't particularly feel was fair or justified. Maybe you aren't aware of what you do or how you come across or how it effects others. Or maybe I'm just a sensitive little girl. Or perhaps even a combination of both. This has nothing to do with you not being a customer. I was going to talk with you about this on the phone privately but both my attempts were unsuccessful. But maybe this is a better platform since this has become a group discussion. But this a very boring thing to talk about and I'm not much into drama. Let's move on, shall we?

Regards
Shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (03-08-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #801
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Look at this thread this morning I see things have yet again gotten the "Nelsmar Spin".

I would be the local he speaks of, I am the one who tried more than once to tell him to calm down, that he was really a good guy but he just was overly zealous and that if he didn't do that things would work out. Because of that and another member asking him to stop telling him he was making a horrible choice going OFT (I sold it to him, another point of contention Nelsmar basically wants to be the end all tuner for AZ it seems and anyone else offends him even when they are not out to compete only to help the community, Nelsmar wants to be the center of attention and the hero) and after the guy asked him to stop 2-3 times I finally stepped in and it really turned into a big drama fest.

Nelsmar has good intentions and is decent at tuning, he responds quickly and enjoys helping all good traits. He expects that of others but respect is a two way street and the problem here is that he spent so much time bashing Shiv apparently thinking he would not notice it. Nelsmar is a decent tuner and is trying to help he just doesn't know when to calm down and how his prior actions affect the responses he gets. In this case he has flat out bashed Shiv quite a few times then gets mad when someone who see's what he does publically doesn't run to his side because he is offering to help.
Would you want the help of someone who has done that? Would you trust that person to further development or think he is just fishing for further ways to try and cause problems?

Flash time is a legitimate question. I too would like to see it go down because, Surprise Surprise Nelsmar is not the only local tuner for OFT but to him he is. However I also realize I can get things very dialed in on the road and then Dyno Fine Tune when my customers request it. If you cannot fine tune in 3 Dyno runs at most then you might want to spend more time on the road tuning portion.

Shiv is busy and at times I have had to wait for replies. I have asked shiv some pointed questions and it has taken a while at times. However Shiv has been working on how many FI projects for us in just the last month or so? Traveling to different companies who make a product Nelsmar himself used (Vortech) to setup a kit and work with them directly on tuning. Shiv is more that willing to participate and has shown that, this is a case more of your prior actions coming back to haunt you.

Last edited by Cross; 03-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (03-08-2014), djdnz (03-06-2014), Luckrider (03-06-2014), Mad1723 (03-06-2014), raven1231 (03-06-2014), Shiv@Openflash (03-06-2014), Sonolin (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #802
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Look at this thread this morning I see things have yet again gotten the "Nelsmar Spin".

I would be the local he speaks of, I am the one who tried more than once to tell him to calm down, that he was really a good guy but he just was overly zealous and that if he didn't do that things would work out. Because of that and another member asking him to stop telling him he was making a horrible choice going OFT (I sold it to him, another point of contention Nelsmar basically wants to be the end all tuner for AZ it seems and anyone else offends him even when they are not out to compete only to help the community, Nelsmar wants to be the center of attention and the hero) and after the guy asked hi to stop 2-3 times I finally stepped in and it really turned into a big drama fest.

Nelsmar has good intentions and is decent at tuning, he responds quickly and enjoys helping all good traits. He expects that of others but respect is a two way street and the problem here is that he spent so much time bashing Shiv apparently thinking he would not notice it. Nelsmar is a decent tuner and is trying to help he just doesn't know when to calm down and how his prior actions affect the responses he gets. In this case he has flat out bashed Shiv quite a few times then gets mad when someone who see's what he does publically doesn't run to his side because he is offering to help.
Would you want the help of someone who has done that? Would you trust that person to further development or think he is just fishing for further ways to try and cause problems?

Flash time is a legitimate question, I took would like to see it go down because, Surprise Surprise Nelsmar is not the only local tuner for OFT but to him he is. However I also realize I can get things very dialed in on the road and then Dyno Fine Tune when my customers request it. If you cannot fine tune in 3 Dyno runs at most then you might want to spend more time on the road tuning portion.

Shiv is usy an at times I have had to wait or replies and I have asked shiv some pointed questions and it has taken a while at times. However Shiv has been working on how many FI projects for us in just the last month or so? Traveling to different companies who make a product Nelsmar himself used (Vortech) to setup a kit and work with them directly on tuning. Shiv is more that willing to participate and has shown that, this is a case more of your prior actions coming back to haunt you.
Sounds like a fair assessment from someone who has dealt with both people.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luckrider For This Useful Post:
Cross (03-06-2014), Mad1723 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #803
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think what shiv has done for this community cannot be understated. He is in my opinion the single best vendor/supporter of this platform.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
1Cor10:23 (03-06-2014), 86-tundra (03-08-2014), Cross (03-06-2014), djdnz (03-06-2014), Mad1723 (03-06-2014), Sonolin (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #804
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I think what shiv has done for this community cannot be understated. He is in my opinion the single best vendor/supporter of this platform.

Delicious is up there too but they signed up to EcuTek. There are some great Subaru tuners on the east coast turning away FRZ's, they are getting by with cobb and WRX's. When EcuFlash is finished that will change.

I don't predict the OFT being used by many top professional tuners, too much time wasted going from download to a laptop, to the OFT for a flash, then back to the laptop, on, and on. Too much dyno time. I wouldn't want to pay the dyno time consumed using the oft method.

For example we just recently had a tuner start tuning this platform within 2 hrs from me and its EcuTek or nothing. Right now Ecutek has the market corners for pro onsite tuning, that will change eventually I hope.

The OFT is great for 99% of us who live too far away from a tuner who knows how to tune, controls, and subarus. And those of us not looking for that last meaningless (on the street) 5hp.

The thing I don't know is if those 99% of us should be waiting for datalogging or if Toyobaru's tolerances are good enough not to need any remote back and forth. Mine being an early build makes me even more nervous.

Shiv, have you noticed any big differences in early (2012) builds ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #805
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Sounds like a fair assessment from someone who has dealt with both people.
Cross also has a local reputation of the same things he says about me. He does not like it when he isn't the one with he correct answer which is why we "bash heads". When he doesn't get his way he is just as bad if not worse than me. Ask him about a local company producing control arms. And I am sure any moment now he I'll be posting screenshots of me talking about Visconti or whatever he needs to convince people I'm such a horrible person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Nelsmar,
Let me make this clear. You have been both pushy and rude to me. On numerous occasions. You have also accused me of things that I don't particularly feel was fair or justified. Maybe you aren't aware of what you do or how you come across or how it effects others. Or maybe I'm just a sensitive little girl. Or perhaps even a combination of both. This has nothing to do with you not being a customer. I was going to talk with you about this on the phone privately but both my attempts were unsuccessful. But maybe this is a better platform since this has become a group discussion. But this a very boring thing to talk about and I'm not much into drama. Let's move on, shall we?

Regards
Shiv
Yes you messaged me while I was on a phone conference. I messages my personal number back in which you texted at 12am this morning. I told you an appropriate time to contact me. The fact that something such as flash time has to cause such a conflict is quite disappointing. Yes shiv I did call you out on a dyno. In which you eventually responded. But that was in the past and now there are other issues that I would have liked to talk to you about that are better kept in private and I happen to have to professional respect to keep them private with you.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #806
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Cross also has a local reputation of the same things he says about me. He does not like it when he isn't the one with he correct answer which is why we "bash heads". When he doesn't get his way he is just as bad if not worse than me. Ask him about a local company producing control arms. And I am sure any moment now he I'll be posting screenshots of me talking about Visconti or whatever he needs to convince people I'm such a horrible person.

Yes you messaged me while I was on a phone conference. I messages my personal number back in which you texted at 12am this morning. I told you an appropriate time to contact me. The fact that something such as flash time has to cause such a conflict is quite disappointing. Yes shiv I did call you out on a dyno. In which you eventually responded. But that was in the past and now there are other issues that I would have liked to talk to you about that are better kept in private and I happen to have to professional respect to keep them private with you.
I certainly have too much respect for you at this point to think that screenshots about Visconti will matter. I believe I remember where you stand on that and as far as I am concerned, that is irrelevant. While flash times certainly are important, people need to realize that these vendors are usually core employees of small companies that are doing their best to help their business grow and venture into new territory. I help roll out a product line in a new market for Jeeps from a company location in Long Island. Helping out the President was a very big learning experience into what actually goes into this stuff as countless hours are spent tweaking, marketing, and playing customer service. I play similar roles in my real job and it is amazing how little people think of the business they are dealing with.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckrider For This Useful Post:
Cross (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #807
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Delicious is up there too but they signed up to EcuTek.
This is very very true. Delicious really has shown, atleast to me; that they are the go to company on the Ecutek side and I look forward to talking to them in the next month or two about E85 and the Vortech setup using EcuTek.
I also have had good experiences with Moto-Mike and John who is no longer here.

Quote:

I am not going to play with you Nelsmar, I stopped some time ago because it was clear you would hang yourself.

I will always have no problem speaking my mind but there comes a point where you realize that it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you. That is the difference between you and me.
As for a few locals in the FRS/BRZ Phoenix crowd who you have basically paid to like you having an opinion about me, I just can't find a reason to care. But I am glad you found a way to make yourself feel better about the attitude you constantly find the need to portray as seen in your very posts here.
Between paying others and constantly being intoxicated I can see just how much I am missing by being "in" the crowd you're so popular with.

Last edited by Cross; 03-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #808
AdrianG
Generally Well Liked

Drives: '08 STi Hatch, '11 Outback 3.6R
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Would this work for the dyno guys?

1 - Flash the OFT car back to stock if it isn't already
2 - Take the starting point (probably shiv's OTS map?), make whatever edits and flash with Ecuflash
3 - Dyno, wash, rinse, repeat until you're happy with the tune (flashing with EcuFlash)
4 - Save the ROM and flash back to stock
5 - Load the tune on the OFT and flash it back to the car after you take it off the dyno

You can log an OFT tune with OP2, or you can log with OFT even if you aren't currently using it to flash.

This means that @nelsmar and @jamesm just need to buy an OP2 to use on the dyno and their customers can continue using their OFT once you're done with the dyno.

I have an OFT and OP2, right now having both is pretty great but since I don't dyno tune and logging on OFT is improving the OP2 is becoming less important to me. At least I'll always have it for the logging and for tuning my other Subarus.
AdrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianG For This Useful Post:
Cross (03-06-2014), Mad1723 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #809
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG View Post
Would this work for the dyno guys?

1 - Flash the OFT car back to stock if it isn't already
2 - Take the starting point (probably shiv's OTS map?), make whatever edits and flash with Ecuflash
3 - Dyno, wash, rinse, repeat until you're happy with the tune (flashing with EcuFlash)
4 - Save the ROM and flash back to stock
5 - Load the tune on the OFT and flash it back to the car

This means that @nelsmar and @jamesm just need to buy an OP2 to use on the dyno and their customers can continue using their OFT once you're done with the dyno.

I have an OFT and OP2, right now having both is pretty great but since I don't dyno tune and logging on OFT is improving the OP2 is becoming less important to me. At least I'll always have it for the logging and for tuning my other Subarus.
Yes that will work and is perfectly reasonable.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #810
AdrianG
Generally Well Liked

I'm a genius!

- AdrianG
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianG For This Useful Post:
Mad1723 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #811
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
seems reasonable to me. once ecuflash is fully baked, of course. can't beta test customer cars .
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #812
AdrianG
Generally Well Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
seems reasonable to me. once ecuflash is fully baked, of course. can't beta test customer cars .
I'm fully baked every time I use mine, no problems to report!

- AdrianG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianG For This Useful Post:
Mad1723 (03-06-2014), Sonolin (03-06-2014)

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest