follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Rims and Tires! suggestions??

Whats up guys, have gotten my magnaflow exhaust and K&N air filter put on with the window tint...LOVING the car! Next thing on the list (Christmas) is my rims and tires. Looking to go to 18". I am looking at the Michelin Pilot sport tires, seem to be rated amazing and have heard amazing things about them. I am deciding on rims but looking to go to the RS05RR Enkei Black. 18x8.5 all around with the michelin tires. Possibly lower an inch? but that would be an extra 700$. Looking for some suggestions here, if i did go with those rims does anyone know about the quality and performance of them? Also once they are put on will i have to make any adjustments to the car like offsetting and what not i am not too familiar with all that. Any suggestions or comments on these rims and tires would be appreciated, also if anyone knows where the best/cheapest place to get them would be that would be great!
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
First off, did you search the massive wheel and tire section? If not start there. You'll see pretty much every style wheel, and offsets.

Second, why Michelin PSS ? It's a poor trend on these forums why? Because 90% are first time sports car owners and they are suckered in by the dealership or tire guy to stick to OEM brand. And they make more money selling it.

The tire itself is a shitty tire compared to the price vs performance. If you can get them for under $100 per tire the go for it. Other wise you can spend less for a far better tire.

If your only buying wheels and tires and are still on OEM springs/struts, you don't have to do anything. Just make sure the wheels have hub centric rings or the wheels are the correct hub size.

Once you add lowering springs or coilovers you will need camber bolts and lca for proper camber adjustments.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What would you suggest for tires? I'm in the market for new ones.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Enkei wheels are excellent quality and the RS05RRs are a great choice. You can tell, below, that I'm a fan of the MPSS as well. I assume you're looking for a moderate aesthetic and performance increase on a daily driven car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Second, why Michelin PSS ? It's a poor trend on these forums why? Because 90% are first time sports car owners and they are suckered in by the dealership or tire guy to stick to OEM brand. And they make more money selling it.

The tire itself is a shitty tire compared to the price vs performance.
Sources? The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are ranked #1 of 29 Max Performance Summer tires on Tirerack.com, and have a 30,000 pro-rated warranty. As in, if they need to be replaced before 6 years or 30,000 miles, Michelin gives you cash towards the remaining mileage.

Sure, you can step up to Extreme Performance Summer tires like the Bridgestone RE-11, but don't expect a warranty or for them to last anywhere near 30,000 miles.

If we're talking daily driver tires that add a bit of grip, the MPSS is hard to beat.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #5
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
Enkei wheels are excellent quality and the RS05RRs are a great choice. You can tell, below, that I'm a fan of the MPSS as well. I assume you're looking for a moderate aesthetic and performance increase on a daily driven car?

Sources? The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are ranked #1 of 29 Max Performance Summer tires on Tirerack.com, and have a 30,000 pro-rated warranty. As in, if they need to be replaced before 6 years or 30,000 miles, Michelin gives you cash towards the remaining mileage.

Sure, you can step up to Extreme Performance Summer tires like the Bridgestone RE-11, but don't expect a warranty or for them to last anywhere near 30,000 miles.

If we're talking daily driver tires that add a bit of grip, the MPSS is hard to beat.
Not sure what his problem is with the MPSS either, its a great tire and been proven for years. There is no need for anything stickier for most drivers, if they needed it they would know about the RE71R, Hankook RS3, Rival S, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
Whats up guys, have gotten my magnaflow exhaust and K&N air filter put on with the window tint...LOVING the car! Next thing on the list (Christmas) is my rims and tires. Looking to go to 18". I am looking at the Michelin Pilot sport tires, seem to be rated amazing and have heard amazing things about them. I am deciding on rims but looking to go to the RS05RR Enkei Black. 18x8.5 all around with the michelin tires. Possibly lower an inch? but that would be an extra 700$. Looking for some suggestions here, if i did go with those rims does anyone know about the quality and performance of them? Also once they are put on will i have to make any adjustments to the car like offsetting and what not i am not too familiar with all that. Any suggestions or comments on these rims and tires would be appreciated, also if anyone knows where the best/cheapest place to get them would be that would be great!

The Enkei's are very nice wheels but i'm guessing you are 19 years old by your user name? I'm not saying it will happen for sure but you may want to consider something a little cheaper for your first set. If you curb one are you going to want to spend $500 to replace it?

I would rather have a properly lowered car with a little cheaper wheels than some very nice wheels sitting at stock height with a bunch of wheel gap. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss some lowering options and other wheels.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:39 AM   #6
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
If you definitely want to get Michelins remember there's the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and also the Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

Both rate very well with the Pilot Sport 3 being a good option as they are quite a bit cheaper than the Super Sports.
Have a look here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post

Tire rack didn't do the tests themselves, in fact it's not even tested. All that ranking bull is sole based on online reviews. And we all know how that can be fudged. I come from personal experience and what I seen on autox/track events/driven coaching other people's cars.
Like I said if you can get them cheap go for it. If not there are better choices out there. And pretty much any road hazerd add on will replace a bad tire. I paid and extra $7 per tire from my local tire shop. As long as it was with in the wear bars I got it replaced when I had a sidewall damage. Both my rears where about to need replacing so I pretty much got a two for one deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Not sure what his problem is with the MPSS either, its a great tire and been proven for years. There is no need for anything stickier for most drivers, if they needed it they would know about the RE71R, Hankook RS3, Rival S, etc.
I agree on the last part. Guess what annoys me is lack info most people put into tire buying. They just go with what the last 10 guys get. What they don't know is those 10 don't know jack about tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
What would you suggest for tires? I'm in the market for new ones.
What's your budget, and what kind of driving?
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Mr.ac I am just looking for something with a little bit more grip. I don't need anything like RS3's since I don't think I'll get to the track in 2016. So spirited driving. I currently have 17x8 Ultraleggera wheels with the stock tires. I don't like the stretched look, but I like how the turn in feels nice and crisp. The budget will be skewed since the exchange rate right now is around 1.30CAD per USD. So let's say, 600USD.

Some of the ones I have considered are:
MPSS, Pilot sport A/S3's, Extreme Contact DW, V12evo 2's.

Sorry for the thread jack OP
Old 11-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Vten

Drives: Too heavy
@D_Thissen,and op,

You'll be ok with either Contis dw or mpss for a DD and spirited driving. I'm currently using the 245/40/17 Mpss with those wedsport TC105n, intercooled sprintex Supercharged, full e85, had a mountain run on hocking hills , and be able to keep up with Audi R8 v10, Jaguar F type R coupe , Bmw 1m and an E92 M3 on the corner ....I was pushing the car hard. .. Honest personal experience here ,not just hearing from a review or a brand hater
Vten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vten For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-26-2015), JoeBoxer (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
I come from personal experience and what I seen on autox/track events/driven coaching other people's cars.
Like I said if you can get them cheap go for it. If not there are better choices out there.
I'm not doubting you - the MPSS is not the be all / end all of tires - but you're discounting hundreds of heterogeneous reviews and haven't listed a single alternative.

Tell me (us) which tires you think are the best and why. To be honest, I'm in the market to replace my current 255/35/18 MPSS and would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
@Mr.ac I am just looking for something with a little bit more grip. I don't need anything like RS3's since I don't think I'll get to the track in 2016. So spirited driving. I currently have 17x8 Ultraleggera wheels with the stock tires. I don't like the stretched look, but I like how the turn in feels nice and crisp. The budget will be skewed since the exchange rate right now is around 1.30CAD per USD. So let's say, 600USD.

Some of the ones I have considered are:
MPSS, Pilot sport A/S3's, Extreme Contact DW, V12evo 2's.

Sorry for the thread jack OP
Take a look at what Costco has. I think I got a set of 225/50/16 RE11A's for under 700 CAD mounted and balanced. They also have MPSS, PS A/S 3, BFG Rival... Worth taking a look at least. Most anything in the performance category will be good enough for spirited driving.

Also, keep in mind that some stretch is good. keeps the sidewall stiffer and will result in a better "feel"
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (11-26-2015), Tcoat (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I'm wanting to try these new Nitto's that are coming out but the launch sizes are definitely geared towards the domestics which sucks. Hopefully we get some we can use too. I've had nothing but good luck with Nitto's over the years, using the Motivo right now which is a high performance all season but its pretty good for my use.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt555g2-tires/
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Continental Extreme Contact DW is a great bang for the buck! They are far from the "best" but a good street tire for sure.
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makesdrivingfunagain View Post
Continental Extreme Contact DW is a great bang for the buck! They are far from the "best" but a good street tire for sure.
Agreed, they are nearly 20% cheaper than the PSS but 90% of the performance. Better in wet as well. I thoroughly enjoyed these on my 350Z, perfect daily summer tire.
n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote