follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
BlackMonarch

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else installed LED fogs?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/high...-frs-1683.html

So I bought these - And the instructions leave a lot to be desired. As there isn't a brand name I can find, and they shipped with mostly Japanese instructions, I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've got the general wiring diagram, but I'm just curious if I should attempt to tackle fogs from the top of the car or the bottom? Will I need it up on rams, or will sitting on the ground work?

I'm familiar with modding, but not with the electric part outside of HID kit hookups. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
BlackMonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Those are Daytime Running Lights, not fog lights.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
BlackMonarch

Yep, they sure are. Have you ever installed any? If not, thanks for playing.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have not wired those, so no comments there, however removing the stock bezel is easier from the bottom reach behind the bumper and push, or remove the entire bumper. It's easier than you would think, then you have loads of room to work with.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
BlackMonarch (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
BlackMonarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I have not wired those, so no comments there, however removing the stock bezel is easier from the bottom reach behind the bumper and push, or remove the entire bumper. It's easier than you would think, then you have loads of room to work with.
Thanks there I was looking at it from the top and it didn't look reasonable to do. I don't quite want to pull the bumper, but I will definitely give it a shot from the bottom and see how far I can get. The bezels just... push right out, don't they? I noticed the replacements are clips, so that shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonarch View Post
Yep, they sure are. Have you ever installed any? If not, thanks for playing.

Nope, but as they look to be copies of the stuff that is now coming as an OEM accessory, you could get your hands on the install directions for the OEM ones.

As I have a BRZ, it's not exact, but similar. Access to that area is as simple as pulling back the fender liner (turn the wheel so you have better clearance). Tons of room without lifting the car at all.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
BlackMonarch (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:47 AM   #7
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27813

You are welcome. I have seen some other installation instructions, they look crazy complicated and involve wiring that goes under the car / bumper off. Crazy.

That steps I followed are much simpler, the hardest part was getting the red power wire into the cabin and wired up with the cigarette lighter. That was a b*t*h.

*EDIT* looks like it's not an exact clone because that doesn't have a blue wire. Meh. At least now you know who else sells a similar product with a better feature set. If it is important to you, I think some of the clones have reflectors that direct the light perpendicular to the strip. Since the strips will be diagonal when installed, that means you will be shining sideways instead of forward. You will want to look closely at the reflectors and position of the LED - it should look like they are "crooked" in the strip, but they are actually pointed straight forward once installed on the car.

*disclaimer* I have F-T's kit and it is awesome.

Last edited by aegisdrgn; 12-23-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Looked at product again, added some comments.
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aegisdrgn For This Useful Post:
BlackMonarch (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
BlackMonarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27813

You are welcome. I have seen some other installation instructions, they look crazy complicated and involve wiring that goes under the car / bumper off. Crazy.

That steps I followed are much simpler, the hardest part was getting the red power wire into the cabin and wired up with the cigarette lighter. That was a b*t*h.

*EDIT* looks like it's not an exact clone because that doesn't have a blue wire. Meh. At least now you know who else sells a similar product with a better feature set. If it is important to you, I think some of the clones have reflectors that direct the light perpendicular to the strip. Since the strips will be diagonal when installed, that means you will be shining sideways instead of forward. You will want to look closely at the reflectors and position of the LED - it should look like they are "crooked" in the strip, but they are actually pointed straight forward once installed on the car.

*disclaimer* I have F-T's kit and it is awesome.
You know now that I look at it... Instructions mention a blue wire to have them "blink w/ turn signals" - There's nothing blue on the harness at all.

You sir have led to this:

Last edited by BlackMonarch; 12-23-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good job - looks really good! =)
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
When I did my fogs (Winjets) I pulled my bumper off, just because I felt it would be easier to get the bezels off and on. I also didn't have the car jacked up at all, it was all 4 tires on the ground.

The way I did it, first I pulled the bumper, switched the bezels, installed the fogs onto the bumper, then I took care of the wiring. Ran the actual harness through to the front of the car, then dealt with the switch and cabin wiring, then ran the wire from the fog harness through the firewall to the switch and cabin harness.

The biggest obstacle I found was running the wire through the firewall. That took the most time for me. Overall, it wasn't a bad process, but I had no instructions and a generic YouTube video to work with.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote