follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Was the FA20 tune the tune causing all the car fires one or two years ago?
No, that was the original forum darling, Visconti. This has nothing to do witg FA20clubs awesome tune on the 335 however.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Scubaru

Drives: '13 FR-S, '14 RAM 1500, '01 BMW330i
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
No, that was the original forum darling, Visconti. This has nothing to do witg FA20clubs awesome tune on the 335 however.
Huh? FA20club with an awesome tune? Where the fu...

OHHH. I see what you did there...
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
Huh? FA20club with an awesome tune? Where the fu...

OHHH. I see what you did there...
Awesome as in it blows, literally.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #18
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixone View Post
Hey everyone!

So I'm looking at buying an innovative supercharger kit and have one real concern.

Is it going to ruin my car?

I've never done forced induction on a my own car so I don't know how it will affect the reliability of it. This innovative kit is only supposed run at 7psi and provide only moderate gains. And honestly that's all I want. Just get rid of the giant power gap and get a bit of extra pull.

I've done a catback exhaust system (nvidia) and that's it. Has this kit been good to everyone? And have any motors been blown up from it?

Any help is much appreciated!!!
Have you considered other kits? You can purchase a Jackson Racing kit that comes with a tune. The tune is designed to be somewhat conservative so you won't risk damaging anything. It also doesn't require supporting mods. Like you, my only other engine mod is a catback, and I haven't had any issues in the 4 months I've owned the kit. In my experience of reading the Jackson Racing Owners Thread, no one running this tune has had any issues either.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement haha. Tuning can be a bit of a headache and I wanted something that just worked with no hassle. Since you're stock, I'm sure you can get an e-tune without much back-and-forth with the tuner. Check the Innovate Owners Thread to see what they're doing.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #19
pheonixone

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Have you considered other kits? You can purchase a Jackson Racing kit that comes with a tune. The tune is designed to be somewhat conservative so you won't risk damaging anything. It also doesn't require supporting mods. Like you, my only other engine mod is a catback, and I haven't had any issues in the 4 months I've owned the kit. In my experience of reading the Jackson Racing Owners Thread, no one running this tune has had any issues either.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement haha. Tuning can be a bit of a headache and I wanted something that just worked with no hassle. Since you're stock, I'm sure you can get an e-tune without much back-and-forth with the tuner. Check the Innovate Owners Thread to see what they're doing.
Thats exactly what I'm looking for! I just want something to make the car feel a bit stronger, not anything crazy.
But with everything, lots of good advice.

Any experience with installing the kit yourself? Or just let someone else mess with it?
pheonixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Thats exactly what I'm looking for! I just want something to make the car feel a bit stronger, not anything crazy.

Any experience with installing the kit yourself? Or just let someone else mess with it?
I just let my shop install it, since I didn't have any tools at the time. Lots of people say it's easy to do yourself though.

The mechanic told me there was an issue with how a bracket was fitting, so he custom made a new one. I checked the owners thread where someone else also had that issue, but he just contacted Jackson Racing and they sent him a new one.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I've also heard it was one of the easiest kits to install. If you have some hand tools and a little bit of time (1-2 days if you take it really slow), you should be golden.
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone!

So I'm looking at buying an innovative supercharger kit and have one real concern.

Is it going to ruin my car?

I've never done forced induction on a my own car so I don't know how it will affect the reliability of it. This innovative kit is only supposed run at 7psi and provide only moderate gains. And honestly that's all I want. Just get rid of the giant power gap and get a bit of extra pull.

I've done a catback exhaust system (nvidia) and that's it. Has this kit been good to everyone? And have any motors been blown up from it?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81693

Go with the CARB legal Jackson Racing SC + JR thermostatic engine oil cooler kit if you value reliability and want the most trackability without ANY supplemental modifications.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 02-19-2015 at 01:34 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Don't go FI if you have only this car to drive.

Don't go FI if you have to finance the kit.

Don't go FI if you don't have the resources to repair the unexpected.

Don't go FI if you have tiny balls.
You can finance a FI kit? How? I figured you have to buy it in full or no go.

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #24
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
You can finance a FI kit? How? I figured you have to buy it in full or no go.
When I was researching buying a kit, an option for payment was to open up a 12 mo no interest credit card and buy it with that. Pretty much financing with 0%
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #25
themajesticone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloSki View Post
When I was researching buying a kit, an option for payment was to open up a 12 mo no interest credit card and buy it with that. Pretty much financing with 0%
Is that through paypal or through a specific online vendor/shop? Or can you do that with Jackson Racing? I've never heard about that lol

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Old 02-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
Is that through paypal or through a specific online vendor/shop? Or can you do that with Jackson Racing? I've never heard about that lol
Depending on the firm's tolerance to risk, financing in house is a very attractive option for those looking to spread the cost of large items out throughout a specific set of time. Typically these firms will record the revenue as a "cash equivalent" item and therefore records it as a sale.. thus the no interest if paid in 6/12mo. They really want you to get those new tires or, in this case, FI kit

Never will you see longer than 12 months for publically traded companies, as they're required by the SEC and GAAP principles to report all unearned revenue streams in excess of 12 months as a long-term item.

On a personal perspective, it's reckless and unnecessary to finance an FI kit unless you're fiscally healthy and able to cover the costs of a) paying back the kit in full at any time, b) repairing any catastrophic failure as a result of the kit/or have backup plan, or c) both a and b
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
themajesticone (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #27
themajesticone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Depending on the firm's tolerance to risk, financing in house is a very attractive option for those looking to spread the cost of large items out throughout a specific set of time. Typically these firms will record the revenue as a "cash equivalent" item and therefore records it as a sale.. thus the no interest if paid in 6/12mo. They really want you to get those new tires or, in this case, FI kit

Never will you see longer than 12 months for publically traded companies, as they're required by the SEC and GAAP principles to report all unearned revenue streams in excess of 12 months as a long-term item.
So in that case, depending on the shop I ultimately choose, I can ask them if they do 12 month finance before I pull the trigger so to speak? It kind of makes it more attractive to pay monthly rather than throw all your money out in just one day. I've been saving this whole time thinking I needed to potentially dump $7,000 out the door haha.

The Following User Says Thank You to themajesticone For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
themajesticone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
On a personal perspective, it's reckless and unnecessary to finance an FI kit unless you're fiscally healthy and able to cover the costs of a) paying back the kit in full at any time, b) repairing any catastrophic failure as a result of the kit/or have backup plan, or c) both a and b
To this point - I completely agree, which is why I was saving for one single payment. I am currently fiscally in good standing, just got converted to full-time so I know I will be at this company for at least 2 years - so I am good there but at the same time, monthly payments is less headache in general you know.

The Following User Says Thank You to themajesticone For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-19-2015)