Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FI Reliability (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82424)

pheonixone 02-14-2015 04:17 PM

FI Reliability

Hey everyone!

So I'm looking at buying an innovative supercharger kit and have one real concern.

Is it going to ruin my car?

I've never done forced induction on a my own car so I don't know how it will affect the reliability of it. This innovative kit is only supposed run at 7psi and provide only moderate gains. And honestly that's all I want. Just get rid of the giant power gap and get a bit of extra pull.

I've done a catback exhaust system (nvidia) and that's it. Has this kit been good to everyone? And have any motors been blown up from it?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

protpibe 02-14-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonixone (Post 2132597)
Hey everyone!

So I'm looking at buying an innovative supercharger kit and have one real concern.

I've never done forced induction on a my own car so I don't know how it will affect the reliability of it. This innovative kit is only supposed run at 7psi and provide only moderate gains. And honestly that's all I want. Just get rid of the giant power gap and get a bit of extra pull.

I've done a catback exhaust system (nvidia) and that's it. Has this kit been good to everyone? And have any motors been blown up from it?

There are numerous members that are running power levels equivalent to the Innovate SC and have no issues even after many miles. The two biggest factors are the quality of the install, and the quality of the tune. If those two are good, it should last you a long time.

You may want to add an oil cooler at the same time.

raven1231 02-14-2015 04:35 PM

Companies don't intentionally make kits that will "ruin" your car (with the exception of fa20club). As stated above a good tune and install are essential.

bfrank1972 02-14-2015 06:14 PM

If you're not prepared to pay out of pocket for motor repairs, then don't go FI. Occasionally, even a stock motor can go boom (albeit rarely). Your factory warranty covers that. If it goes boom with a supercharger on it, whether it's due to the supercharger or not, it's going to be out of your pocket. That said, a decently designed aftermarket SC (like Innovate/Sprintex, Vortech, Kraftwerks, Jackson, etc etc) that's *well tuned* should be relatively low risk - but you never know what can happen, and the supercharger will void your engine warranty (and possibly other drivetrain components).

Chad86 02-14-2015 06:26 PM

I'm in the same boat on this! The Moto East group buy ends today on the Innovate kits and I was tempted to go with the 335 on a non built engine, but now I'm starting to get really cautious. I'm sure the intention is not to blow peoples engines with the supercharger kits. Moto East tunes seem highly recommended, but just wondering if I should just start off with the OFT and built up my car with other mods before adding forced induction. No E85 where I live so it seems the 210 won't put out enough power. I am also looking at the Ptuning turbo kit, but I don't want to lose the NA feel of the car, in which case is why I was looking at Innovate and also the fact you get low end boost. I love NA instant throttle response in which I assume you lose a bit running a turbo setup. Some members have commented the Innovate is just overpriced garbage that breaks easily. One member says his motor blew running the 335 in the first week running under 3,000 rpm. It doesn't seem this was a Moto East tune though. So right now it's either pull the trigger on the 335 or purchase the OFT and add exhaust and wait closer to my warranty to run out before adding forced induction.

Thoughts?

sam69 02-14-2015 08:09 PM

Bought my car new and went the SC 210 only a month or so after getting it and couldn't be happier. :burnrubber:

Best mod I've done to the car so far imo .

I would go the 210 or 335 but at the end of the day it's your decision .

woode 02-14-2015 08:52 PM

All the issues I have had with my car have not been related to going FI.

Get a good tune and :burnrubber:

wootwoot 02-14-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven1231 (Post 2132615)
Companies don't intentionally make kits that will "ruin" your car (with the exception of fa20club). As stated above a good tune and install are essential.

Lol!

FirestormFRS 02-15-2015 09:51 AM

Don't go FI if you have only this car to drive.

Don't go FI if you have to finance the kit.

Don't go FI if you don't have the resources to repair the unexpected.

Don't go FI if you have tiny balls.

Scubaru 02-15-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonixone (Post 2132597)
Hey everyone!

Honestly, it all depends on the decisions you make.

There isn't a secret formula to keeping your car reliable when going FI. It always goes back to the basics. If you have a reputable shop to do the install/tune, you will be fine. If you keep your vehicle well maintained, you will be fine. If you have enough common sense, you will be fine.

That being said, one of the biggest investments you can make when going FI is to buy a gauge cluster set, or something to keep a close eye on your cars vital signs such as oil temp, IAT, coolant temp, etc. Really in any given situation, this should be a no brainer purchase as it falls right in line with preventative maintenance IMO.

"Ignorance is bliss" is not a phrase that works well in this situation. Part of the reliability factor is knowing exactly how your car is behaving in a certain situation. Your wallet will greatly thank you for it later!

hanabie 02-15-2015 10:58 AM

Sell the car and get FI car? Wrx, bimmer, etc

s2d4 02-15-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad86 (Post 2132704)
One member says his motor blew running the 335 in the first week running under 3,000 rpm.

Ignore that info, FA20Club's tune immediately makes it invalid, with just about everything.

Chad86 02-15-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2d4 (Post 2133175)
Ignore that info, FA20Club's tune immediately makes it invalid, with just about everything.

Was the FA20 tune the tune causing all the car fires one or two years ago?

Fastbrz 02-15-2015 03:36 PM

I have a vortech kit and turbo kit for sale if your interested.