follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #29
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Ummmm, not to rain on your parade or anything but you didn't significantly change your speed at all and if the truck driver hadn't slammed on his brakes they'd have been cleaning your leftover bits off the highway with a hose.

Obviously the truck driver is at fault there, but brakes would probably have been a better idea-- if you're going to hit something, at least hit it going slower. If someone had been behind you though, it would have sucked to have the truck stop in time but get into an accident anyway when the guy behind you stacks it into the back of your car :\
Yea figured the truck was not going to stop so even if I braked he would have hit me because of where the entrance is. And for the acceleration it was kinda those worst case scenarios in the torque dip, 6 gear, and A/C running I just got lucky lol.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #30
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Ummmm, not to rain on your parade or anything but you didn't significantly change your speed at all and if the truck driver hadn't slammed on his brakes they'd have been cleaning your leftover bits off the highway with a hose.

Obviously the truck driver is at fault there, but brakes would probably have been a better idea-- if you're going to hit something, at least hit it going slower. If someone had been behind you though, it would have sucked to have the truck stop in time but get into an accident anyway when the guy behind you stacks it into the back of your car :\
Do keep in mind that most of these cameras have a wide lens and provide a much higher FOV than most cameras. This is for the purpose of showing more information to the right and left of the car so as to not miss anything. Unfortunately this also has the downside of skewing depth of field and can make things look much further than they really are.

I have dashcams on both my FRS and WRX and have had some minor close calls as well. I remember one time passing a black Mercury Moutaineer and as I got to the point where my front right fender crossed into their rear left fender they started to merge. Obviously they neglected to check their blindspot but once they started moving into my lane they finally looked over and went back into their lane. I honked my horn and sped past them to avoid any further interactions with that driver. Once I got home and took a look at the footage it was very deceiving in that it looked like they were merging much further ahead of my car than they really were. My wife and I decided to do an experiment. I had the car parked and she was outside taking direction as I told her to stand in the spot that the car was trying to merge at. She almost made it to where the side view mirror was at when I told her to stop and that was where the car's rear tail light would have merged into me. It's just deceiving how far everything looks in video with wide FOV lenses. Mine has a 170 degree of FOV and makes everything look much further than they really are.
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
Imrac (08-06-2015)