follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Nitro

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Nav unit in FRS with e-brake bypass and iPhone cable by cupholders

What you need:
Standard Toyota Wiring harness ( I used Metra IBR-WHTY2 )
Lexus Antenna Adaptor ( I used Scosche LSAAB )
Scion dash kit ( I used Metra 95-8202 but had to modify it )
PAC TR7 ( optional for nav handbrake bypass )
10mm socket
screwdriver
wire strippers
electrical tape
soldering iron / solder (optional but recommended )
Drill ( optional for cupholder area iphone connector )

I already had my aftermarket head unit in, but I wanted to add an iPhone cable and run it to the cup holder area, so I decided I would do a write up with some photos.

1. Start by removing the trim piece above the glove box. There are 6 clips holding it in. Just pull on it and it will come off fairly easily.

2. Remove the trim panel where the head unit is.

3. Remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the radio in. Remove the radio and disconnect all the harnesses from the back of it.

4. Remove the 2 metal brackets off the stock head unit and put them aside as you will need them later.

5. If your new head units wire harness has wires of different lengths, I would recommend cutting them so they are all the same length. After doing that, strip the ends of all the wires.

6. Wire up all the wires from the Toyota wire harness and the aftermarket head unit wire harness. If you have a soldering iron, solder all of your connections. Soldering insures that the wires won’t come apart and that they have a good connection.

NOTE: Be sure to connect the remote wire from the new head unit to the power antenna wire on the Toyota harness ( blue/white stripe to blue ). This will be the turn on for the factory amplifier in the trunk that powers the door speakers. If you forget to do this, you will have no sound out of the door speakers.

Also, I have found out through trial and error that our cars have power amplified antennas. Be sure to hook up the blue wire on the Lexus antenna adaptor to either the remote or power antenna wire on your aftermarket head unit ( my pioneer only had a remote wire ).

7. (optional) Wire up the PAC TR7 in the following way:
black to black (ground)
red to red (switch 12v)
green from TR7 to remote wire ( blue with white stripe )
white from TR7 to e-brake wire ( my pioneers wire was lime green )

8. (optional) Pull up on the silver ring around the shifter until it pops off. Also remove the rubber pad on the bottom of the cupholder area. Now, if you want a iPod connector in the cupholder area, you are going to have to drill into the plastic. After you do that, just run the wire through the hold, around the shifter and up behind the hvac controls to the back of the radio.

9. I had to modify the Scion tC dash kit I had. You should see where I had to cut on the image. After you have your dash kit set, line up the factory metal brackets to the radio, line up the dash kit, and screw them in.

10. Plug everything in and then test the unit before bolting it in. If everything checks out, bolt it back in using the 4 10mm bolts.

11. Put all the pieces of your dash back together and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, just ask.

I want to do another DIY to add the factory usb and aux to the back of the Pioneer within a couple weeks. So keep an eye out for that.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Nitro For This Useful Post:
baldolera (08-26-2012), calis5nest (01-23-2014), encity5 (06-13-2012), ESBjiujitsu (06-20-2012), Fussy08X (09-24-2014), Guff (07-02-2012), kwood9000 (06-20-2012), Lil Abner (06-13-2012), mbh1101 (02-16-2013), nix (11-29-2012), normancw (06-13-2012), phanguy (07-29-2012), Spaceywilly (06-20-2012), SpeedR (09-23-2012), Starscream15 (06-16-2012), styl3z (06-12-2012), SVXdc (07-02-2012), tripjammer (08-08-2012), ts87 (09-08-2013), Turbowned (06-25-2012), xn7485 (05-28-2016)
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Added this to the DIY Directory:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7365
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
keithbribac

Drives: Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are u sure that its powered antenna? I have mine hooked up without the remote wire and my radio works fine
keithbribac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Any reason for using the PAC TR7 instead of just grounding the hand break wire?
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbribac View Post
Are u sure that its powered antenna? I have mine hooked up without the remote wire and my radio works fine
I hooked mine up without the power first and I couldn't receive the NPR station I listen to everyday. I then hooked it up and could receive it fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
Any reason for using the PAC TR7 instead of just grounding the hand break wire?
The pioneer unit requires the handbrake to be pulled after the unit is turned on. I could have used a simple switch to do this, but I am too lazy to do this every single time I ever get into my car. I figured it was $20 well spent.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
The pioneer unit requires the handbrake to be pulled after the unit is turned on. I could have used a simple switch to do this, but I am too lazy to do this every single time I ever get into my car. I figured it was $20 well spent.
Okay, sweet. I was just curious because I'm looking to do the same thing, and with my old JVC one, I just grounded it out.

Looks like I'll need to find the unit somewhere in Aus
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by normancw View Post
Thanks for the post! Which Pioneer head unit is that? Would you recommend it? Is that change holder (that fits in the cup holder) standard equipment? I didn't get one.
It is a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. It is really nice because it has a 7 inch screen and the ability to do advanced app mode, which allows you to display smart phone apps on the screen of the unit (only with compatible apps). It is a little buggy, but if pioneer improves this feature it will be worth it.

The unit doesn't come with nav standard, but you can either use advanced app mode to use certain navigations apps to do the nav, or you can add the pioneer nav unit for like $300 more.

My car came with that thing in the cup holder. It holds a smart phone, although it isn't very good because my advance app mode iPhone cable is way to thick to use with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro For This Useful Post:
normancw (06-14-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Aznek

Drives: 2013 White Scion FRS
Quote:
What you need:
Standard Toyota Wiring harness ( I used Metra IBR-WHTY2 )
Lexus Antenna Adaptor ( I used Scosche LSAAB )
Scion dash kit ( I used Metra 95-8202 but had to modify it )
PAC TR7 ( optional for nav handbrake bypass )
10mm socket
screwdriver
wire strippers
electrical tape
soldering iron / solder (optional but recommended )
Drill ( optional for cupholder area iphone connector )

I already had my aftermarket head unit in, but I wanted to add an iPhone cable and run it to the cup holder area, so I decided I would do a write up with some photos.

1. Start by removing the trim piece above the glove box. There are 6 clips holding it in. Just pull on it and it will come off fairly easily.

2. Remove the trim panel where the head unit is.

3. Remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the radio in. Remove the radio and disconnect all the harnesses from the back of it.

4. Remove the 2 metal brackets off the stock head unit and put them aside as you will need them later.

5. If your new head units wire harness has wires of different lengths, I would recommend cutting them so they are all the same length. After doing that, strip the ends of all the wires.

6. Wire up all the wires from the Toyota wire harness and the aftermarket head unit wire harness. If you have a soldering iron, solder all of your connections. Soldering insures that the wires won’t come apart and that they have a good connection.

NOTE: Be sure to connect the remote wire from the new head unit to the power antenna wire on the Toyota harness ( blue/white stripe to blue ). This will be the turn on for the factory amplifier in the trunk that powers the door speakers. If you forget to do this, you will have no sound out of the door speakers.

Also, I have found out through trial and error that our cars have power amplified antennas. Be sure to hook up the blue wire on the Lexus antenna adaptor to either the remote or power antenna wire on your aftermarket head unit ( my pioneer only had a remote wire ).

7. (optional) Wire up the PAC TR7 in the following way:
black to black (ground)
red to red (switch 12v)
green from TR7 to remote wire ( blue with white stripe )
white from TR7 to e-brake wire ( my pioneers wire was lime green )

8. (optional) Pull up on the silver ring around the shifter until it pops off. Also remove the rubber pad on the bottom of the cupholder area. Now, if you want a iPod connector in the cupholder area, you are going to have to drill into the plastic. After you do that, just run the wire through the hold, around the shifter and up behind the hvac controls to the back of the radio.

9. I had to modify the Scion tC dash kit I had. You should see where I had to cut on the image. After you have your dash kit set, line up the factory metal brackets to the radio, line up the dash kit, and screw them in.

10. Plug everything in and then test the unit before bolting it in. If everything checks out, bolt it back in using the 4 10mm bolts.

11. Put all the pieces of your dash back together and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, just ask.

I want to do another DIY to add the factory usb and aux to the back of the Pioneer within a couple weeks. So keep an eye out for that.
Does the Navigation head unit come with it's own GPS antenna or do you have to install one with the car's antenna?
Aznek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aznek For This Useful Post:
toddj55 (04-17-2013)
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznek View Post
Does the Navigation head unit come with it's own GPS antenna or do you have to install one with the car's antenna?
My particular unit didn't come with the GPS built in. There is a GPS add-on that comes with the antenna. I plan on buying it in the future.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, I was also thinking about adding a pioneer double din nav unit to my FR-S. the avic x940bt, which i think a few others mentioned in a separate thread.

For whatever aftermarket head unit i get, am i going to need all the items you mentioned? (dont neccessairly need the extended iphone cable to cupholder area).
More specifically, if i buy JUST the headunit, will i be able to install? or will i need the scion dash kit and what not for it to even fit? and will i need more wires or anything like that to connect everything?

First time messing with these sorts of things, any help is appreciate, thanks for the write up too!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if anyone will make a trim piece that completely replaces the second piece that you remove in your DIY.

Would be nice, because it would look more complete, and OEM, IMO
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Any recommendation on where to buy some of those parts? i cant seem to find Scosche LSAAB in stock on amazon and sonicelectronix. Google hasnt helped besides offering ebay as another option.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Nitro

I don't know where to buy the antenna adaptor. I bought it on amazon, but i must have got one of the last ones. I'm sure there is a metra equivalent to that adaptor, but I haven't done any research to find it.

You don't NEED the scion dash kit for it to fit, but there will be holes to the left and right of your head unit if you don't use it. You could wire it without a wire-harness, but you would be a braver person than I am. I would highly-highly suggest you get the wiring harness. You don't need the antenna adaptor unless you want to listen to radio. And you only need the e-brake bypass if you plan on interacting with certain aspects of the unit while not parked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro For This Useful Post:
encity5 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Quote:
I don't know where to buy the antenna adaptor. I bought it on amazon, but i must have got one of the last ones. I'm sure there is a metra equivalent to that adaptor, but I haven't done any research to find it.

You don't NEED the scion dash kit for it to fit, but there will be holes to the left and right of your head unit if you don't use it. You could wire it without a wire-harness, but you would be a braver person than I am. I would highly-highly suggest you get the wiring harness. You don't need the antenna adaptor unless you want to listen to radio. And you only need the e-brake bypass if you plan on interacting with certain aspects of the unit while not parked.

Hi Nitro,

I'm thinking about installing a HU for the FR-S. Do you think I can reuse the standard scion HU, for an 2002 civic, which support standard double DIN. Do you think the the scion HU will fit? It looks wide to me. Thanks.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote