follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #29
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattles View Post
I agree with you 100%, but I think you are giving the stock projectors too much credit, they dont seem to be designed very well at all.
In my haste to type that I may have implied that the stock projector is well designed. It isn't.

I was just stating that well designed halogen projectors with a PnP kit still cant hold a candle to a well designed HID projector (pun intended).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
The bulb sizes for the FR-S:

Low Beam (Halogen): H11
High Beam (Halogen): 9005

If you really want an increased light output in lumens, my recommendation would be to :

Low-Beams = H11 size 55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50
some good brands are: Philips VisionPlus, Osram SilverStar, Narva RangePower+50, Tungsram Megalicht
(whatever bulb you buy, try and get the european bulb)

High-Beams = HIR 9011
You will need to to some slight modification here. It is super simple though
Here's a DIY from another forum: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-exter...onversion.html

This is a great alternative to PnP HID kits and will provide a ton more light than any PnP HID kit.
How about these:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/os...plus-h11-bulbs

?
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Light output seems to be a tad bit better than Osram Silverstars.

Lumens (source:http://store.candlepower.com/osnibr.html):
Regular Normal: 1550 lumens, 650 hours
Osram Nightbreaker: 1780 lumens, 340 hours
Osram Silverstars: 1750 lumens, 350 hours

My guess is that the nightbreakers would be a good choice for those that are looking to get the "look" of HID's without negatively impacting the light output. The slight tint is probably what creates the whiter light.

Be warned though that the bulb is rated for 340 hours, which isn't the longest lasting available. A regular bulb is rated for almost double that. So expect to change your bulbs twice in the time that you would have changed the stock bulb.

If you want more information, I would definitely suggest checking out the source link.

Kudos on a good pick!

Last edited by engee; 06-20-2012 at 04:15 PM.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #32
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wondering if it would be possible to just buy the br-z head lights? since those already are HIDs i wish someone could post some DIY for that haha... Im wondering how the wiring would be for that though since it also has the Led strip on the side and the blinkers?
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes, it has been determined that the BRZ headlights will physically fit into the FR-S, wiring would have to be hacked a little, though. Of course, you might as well just buy the BRZ in the first place because for the price of the new headlight housings, ballasts, etc you would also get also navigation and climate control.
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #34
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^ that is true but i dis like the bumper of the br-z as well i herd that the nav on brz is REALLY horrible ;( so i would also need to replace that if i got the br-z~ and climate control i could live without i guess? =/ gota save up some money to get it sigh i saw its like around 5xx bucks for one ='[
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
niceassfd

Drives: 2013 scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
why not get this hid retro kit for $225?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=32

Will that work?
niceassfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
Jayp

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceassfd View Post
why not get this hid retro kit for $225?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=32

Will that work?
Those would probably be one of the best routes to take other than replacing the entire housing with legit GT-86 ones. However, the whole process of baking, replacing the projectors and stuff, and then making sure its all sealed up correctly is probably what's deterring most people from going that route. Plus there's also the risk of damaging your housing which can be very costly to replace.
Jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jayp For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-28-2012), HunterGreene (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayp View Post
Those would probably be one of the best routes to take other than replacing the entire housing with legit GT-86 ones. However, the whole process of baking, replacing the projectors and stuff, and then making sure its all sealed up correctly is probably what's deterring most people from going that route. Plus there's also the risk of damaging your housing which can be very costly to replace.
That's exactly what's keeping me from doing it. I will probably hold off until I'm out of warranty to do that at this point. That plus I haven't felt a need for the change, I'm happy with the light output.

That said, the folks at TRS are a great bunch of folks. I went and met them (they are local to me) while they were doing the development. Definitely the product I would use if I was going to proceed.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #38
DCT223

Drives: S14, ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
sweet comparison pics.. there is never going to be a win on this topic.. frankly i find it kinda stupid...and dont really understand the people who are SUPER hardcore that only way to do HIDs is to do a complete retrofit with proper projectors yada yada blah blah... you will blind everyone if not, blah blah ZOMG the cutoff... holy crap the squirrel finders on halogen projectors..

OK i get it... but damn...

on my S14 I have euro glass headlights with a H4 drop in kit, 4300K.. good quality kit with the shields, good temp, great light output, aimed them right, never get anyone high beaming me or had anyone complain about my lights blinding them... sorry wasnt about to bake brand new euro glass headlights kthx

One thing i feel like is overlooked is the temp color people get for HIDs.. keep it OEM 4300K. less scatter, best light output on the road... This IMO should be what all the fuss should be about... higher temp numbers doesnt mean better lighting thats for sure... 4300K is the way to go... The times i get blinded are people who run some super blue 6000K or something stupid like purple 7000 or 8000k HIDs