follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #3263
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
You can still pioneer technology without being first.
Yea just ask Steve Jobs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (07-27-2018), strat61caster (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #3264
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Okay so your criteria is shifting speed. Cool.. my criteria is fun factor. I'm fairly sure I am not alone here. I am not drag racing people on my daily commute. I don't give a damn if my car is .3secs slower 0-60. I've willing to give up .3secs to still have fun while driving. I guess I am the minority that likes cars for driving and not for bragging rights.

But you are right about higher priced cars. You get a lot of people that buy them like a **** sizing competition. They drive them like old ladies and don't want to be bothered with shifting while they parade how much money they have.
Here's the thing..... You can shift manually in an auto with either the paddle shifters or the shift lever. And if you are shifting manually, you can have just as much fun. The only thing you don't have is the clutch pedal. For older drivers like me, the manual is built into muscle memory and you just don't think about it. Spend 3 months in a Porsche with PDK and don't drive any other manual and you'll change your mind about manual transmissions -- and it is just as much fun. It's just that people, in general, don't like change. As those of us who grew up with manual transmissions die off, the younger drivers will completely go to autos. Besides, the modern automatic transmissions have more gears than manuals.

From a technology standpoint, I'd like a CVT that is programmed for performance and stays in the highest point of the torque curve all of the time. But again, people don't like change and that won't happen for quite a while. The perfect combination would be a hybrid with an electric motor for low end torque and a CVT when you get going. For those who want more control, I'd put in a lever to control where you are on the torque curve which would give you the same control as a manual, but there would be quite a learning curve.
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #3265
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
That begs the question as to why they put special differential gearing in the auto trans car. Why not just cut cost and use the same FD gears for both the auto and the manual right from the start of production?

I do believe that the one market that may hang on to a manual transmission longer than any other is the low price sporty car. The MX-5 and the 86/BRZ are prime examples. Upmarket cars like the Supra will move to the more sophisticated and higher performance engine/transmission combinations to emulate what has happened on the racetrack and with the exotics.
AT and MT both have the same FD (4.1) up until the 2017 where once again the manual got the love and got a new FD.

There are plenty of upmarket cars with manuals though. It's only really supercars that have fully dropped the MT. Go back and reread my original comment. Not a single car listed fell into the super car or upmarket segment. They all fell in the cheap drivers car segment.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #3266
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
FWIW, the Supra acts like a much heavier, less nimble car around the track, where the 86's low COG makes it a better performer. Now, if they could just give it some guts...

Those gearshifts are from a Dual Clutch also he had to sep on the brake before starting the car.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #3267
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Here's the thing..... You can shift manually in an auto with either the paddle shifters or the shift lever. And if you are shifting manually, you can have just as much fun. The only thing you don't have is the clutch pedal.
I disagree that it is just as fun. But I've seen people that have driven manuals for 20 years and still not learn all aspects of driving a manual. When they come to a light they just clutch in and roll to a stop. Boring. I have driven dual clutch tranny's. It's still just button pressing to me. There is more to it than just having a third pedal. You have a gated box that you can make mistakes on. You have the timing that you can make mistakes on. You have the launch that you have control over and can make mistakes on. You have rev matching that you control and can make mistakes on. See the thread here? There is a challenge to driving a MT properly and challenges provide a reward.

Quote:
For older drivers like me, the manual is built into muscle memory and you just don't think about it. Spend 3 months in a Porsche with PDK and don't drive any other manual and you'll change your mind about manual transmissions -- and it is just as much fun. It's just that people, in general, don't like change. As those of us who grew up with manual transmissions die off, the younger drivers will completely go to autos. Besides, the modern automatic transmissions have more gears than manuals.
True it becomes second nature, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. As I said above I've driven a handful of dual-clutch boxes. It has nothing to do with not liking change. It's just not as fun IMO.

Quote:
From a technology standpoint, I'd like a CVT that is programmed for performance and stays in the highest point of the torque curve all of the time. But again, people don't like change and that won't happen for quite a while. The perfect combination would be a hybrid with an electric motor for low end torque and a CVT when you get going. For those who want more control, I'd put in a lever to control where you are on the torque curve which would give you the same control as a manual, but there would be quite a learning curve.
Yeah cool technology but CVT would be the ultimate bore. Again I love technology. If I want to have fun with technology I will design a controller and write software to control my sprinkler system. If I want to have fun with a car then I want to be the one doing everything. No TC, ABS... nothing.

But anyways, we've beaten this horse enough.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-27-2018), HKz (07-27-2018), Irace86.2.0 (07-28-2018), krayzie (07-27-2018), rvoll (07-27-2018), Summerwolf (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #3268
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZer86 View Post
According to Tada, the A90 has a lower COG than the BRZ/FRS/GT86. And based on that video, the A90 looks flat coming out of the those turns. I’m no engineer but I guess if you lower the COG of a vehicle it may allow some tolerance to add weight and not be punished for doing so.
Funny I was thinking the opposite. To me it looked like it was sprung much more soft or much more heavy in the way it moved. For example at this timecode where it comes over that crest. The front inside it way high and the rear outside is dipped very low. Looks more boat like than an 86.:
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (07-30-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #3269
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Those gearshifts are from a Dual Clutch also he had to sep on the brake before starting the car.

Lol. No they're not. That's how quick the ZF boxes shift. BMW has totally abandoned the dual clutch going forward, now that the autos are just as fast, and they hold way more torque.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
dtbdan (07-27-2018), rvoll (07-31-2018), stevesnj (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #3270
rvoll

Quote:
I disagree that it is just as fun. But I've seen people that have driven manuals for 20 years and still not learn all aspects of driving a manual. When they come to a light they just clutch in and roll to a stop. Boring. I have driven dual clutch tranny's. It's still just button pressing to me. There is more to it than just having a third pedal. You have a gated box that you can make mistakes on. You have the timing that you can make mistakes on. You have the launch that you have control over and can make mistakes on. You have rev matching that you control and can make mistakes on. See the thread here? There is a challenge to driving a MT properly and challenges provide a reward.

True it becomes second nature, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. As I said above I've driven a handful of dual-clutch boxes. It has nothing to do with not liking change. It's just not as fun IMO.
Sometimes, driving a stick is a pain -- like in traffic. Sometimes it's a lot of fun on twisties. Sometimes, you're taking a trip and an auto just let's you pay attention to the road. Occasionally, someone else needs to drive the car and they don't know how to drive a stick. At the track I want the one with the best performance to get lower lap times. Riding a three speed beach bike with reverse pedal brakes is more challenging, but I prefer a 21 speed with disc brakes. That said, I get your point. Drivers 25 years from now might not even know what a manual transmission was..... Hell, they might not even know what an internal combustion engine was....
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #3271
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,134 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Sometimes, driving a stick is a pain -- like in traffic. Sometimes it's a lot of fun on twisties. Sometimes, you're taking a trip and an auto just let's you pay attention to the road. Occasionally, someone else needs to drive the car and they don't know how to drive a stick. At the track I want the one with the best performance to get lower lap times. Riding a three speed beach bike with reverse pedal brakes is more challenging, but I prefer a 21 speed with disc brakes. That said, I get your point. Drivers 25 years from now might not even know what a manual transmission was..... Hell, they might not even know what an internal combustion engine was....

just sounds like you became a grandpa
Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #3272
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
just sounds like you became a grandpa
About 20 years ago....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (07-28-2018), nikitopo (07-28-2018), weederr33 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #3273
krayzie
Drive From Home

Funny nobody mentioned how sucky the feeling is when DSG sometimes guessed wrong on the next gear and it will feel like eternity when you downshift, even tho it's only a matter of a split second. I daily drove the first gen DSG for almost 7 years (i.e. Mk4 VW Golf R32 / Mk1 Audi TT / Mk5 VW Golf GTI).

A torque converter automatic shouldn't have this issue. The Toyota one doesn't upshift at redline which allows you to hold the gear if desired.

Also the modern clutch pedal has a helper spring that pulls the pedal down as you step on it, making it feel lighter and less effort to work with. So I don't understand the traffic argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
ermax (07-27-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #3274
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
But I've seen people that have driven manuals for 20 years and still not learn all aspects of driving a manual.
I actually know such people.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #3275
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
How can you target a Cayman and make the car front-engined? ME and RE are just faster. No contest.
Looks good, even with camo.
4 or 6 cylinder? Options are always good.
Nerdburgring? Yawn.
Tadasan is a class act and a smart guy. He not only signed my FR-S, he noticed that I had swapped Subaru wheels onto it. He makes a hell of a car, and I'm sure the Supra's gonna be fun.
If you wanna have more fun, get a manual. if you wanna go faster, get an automatic.
Tacos.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-30-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #3276
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Here's the thing..... You can shift manually in an auto with either the paddle shifters or the shift lever.
Semantics. I suspect for a lot of car forum people "manual" means 3 pedals. You are not "shifting manually", you are using a switch.
Quote:
And if you are shifting manually, you can have just as much fun.
Fun is subjective. I enjoy driving my mum's 2 pedal Yaris. I play around with the gear selector; it is still an auto.
Quote:
Spend 3 months in a Porsche with PDK and don't drive any other manual and you'll change your mind about manual transmissions
This is conjecture.
Quote:
-- and it is just as much fun. It's just that people, in general, don't like change.
See above. It might be just as as much for you. I do not dispute driving an auto can be fun. But it is not the same as driving a manual. Ergo, the fun is different. Not necessarily better or worse but different.

Every time I hear an auto Audi or a Golf take off from the lights with a bit of speed I am reminded why I don't want an auto. I also find it a little funny that with some superduper cars (a recent Lambo of some sort comes to mind) when one selects race mode the gear changes become more abrupt so the driver can feel something tangible with the gear change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
ermax (07-28-2018), HKz (07-28-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose