follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #24333
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
And as far as the "anything goes" part: many of these movies appear to be set in modern times and only the antagonist is supernatural in any way. Nothing to do with decision making here. If the victims found a laser gun or something then that creates a setting where other odd things can happen BUT I still expect them to not scream for 5 minutes when they fall. It's just like the henchman in Austin Powers that got run over by the steam roller. But that was funny because it was ridiculous. In a "serious" movie... That's not good
Was there ever a "serious" horror movie made? That is exactly the entertainment value in them that it couldn't happen. We only see the antagonist as the only supernatural being maybe the same thing happens daily all around the world in that universe.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #24334
Tcoat

Quote:
Well as I understand it Jason walks everywhere so a little kiting and you'll have all the time you need to shoot. If the killer ran it would be a short movie just like if the killer was mortal and the victims weren't dumb as hell. Movie universe or not, the decision making is just awful. We all know it, that's why horror movies are made fun of. I've never seen an anime with decisions like that being made or I wouldn't watch it. Typically in anime these situations don't exist because someone always has a super power or something useful. They don't just scream for 5 minutes when they fall down
Jason pops up all over the place to say he walk is simplifying. For the third time shooting has zero effect. Besides not every teenager in any universe real or otherwise carries a gun with them on their camp counselling job. Not all just scream and fall down in the movies either. Many (that even get a chance too) attempt to fight back. They usually fail until the end of the movie. It is a movie. Getting angry at the characters because they didn't do something you think they should do is sort of a sign of a rather twisted sense of reality.
finch1750 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #24335
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Yeah some people have problems with it. Its blurry, or it gives them headaches... For me it's crystal clear as long as long as I wear my regular glasses on underneath.
I do the same but it's like @Dadhawk says, the glasses, especially piled on top of each other, are a net loss for the experience. Field of view sucks. Gotta keep adjusting them. yada yada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have never seen a 3D movie in my life. Mind you the last time I set foot in a theater was for [The Poseidon Adventure]
You can't be serious. Are you saying everything you've seen was broadcast, VHS, or DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Me too, but this one was different.

Was trying to explain it to someone after it, the camera shots were done well to keep the subject matter in focus(short depth of field) and the rest blurry(in some shots) which really added to the "depth" of the 3D experience.
Right? Much more subtle. No objects jumping out of the screen at the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I guess I need to increase my beer intake with 3d movies. That should fix the relaxing, and may even help white noise out the blurriness.
Nah, I'm with you on the overall experience and we're in good company. I don't hate the current state of the art but it's not quite there.

It's an awful lot of money to spend two hours adjusting my glasses.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #24336
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

You can't be serious. Are you saying everything you've seen was broadcast, VHS, or DVD?

100% (although I did see many at the drive in but even TV is better quality).
Now with the 70" TV, surround sound system and Bluerays my movie viewing pleasure has increased in the last few years.
Ultramaroon (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #24337
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do the same but it's like @Dadhawk says, the glasses, especially piled on top of each other, are a net loss for the experience. Field of view sucks. Gotta keep adjusting them. yada yada...

Right? Much more subtle. No objects jumping out of the screen at the audience.

Nah, I'm with you on the overall experience and we're in good company. I don't hate the current state of the art but it's not quite there.

It's an awful lot of money to spend two hours adjusting my glasses.
I just sit in the back where I can see the whole screen.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #24338
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Jason pops up all over the place to say he walk is simplifying. For the third time shooting has zero effect. Besides not every teenager in any universe real or otherwise carries a gun with them on their camp counselling job. Not all just scream and fall down in the movies either. Many (that even get a chance too) attempt to fight back. They usually fail until the end of the movie. It is a movie. Getting angry at the characters because they didn't do something you think they should do is sort of a sign of a rather twisted sense of reality.
You got me figured out Tcoat. I have no idea what is practical, plausible, right, wrong, or otherwise. I think everything is solved with a hail of sniper accurate bullets and I pick and choose what I believe is real. I have no idea what real life is like because I live in a carefully crafted bubble built by video games.

Why is it that whenever I make a point about anything you feel you have to attack me? You drug in anime to make a point on suspended belief because shows where people have supernatural powers are identical to people making obviously bad decisions. Then you make 3 comments in a row about how a gun is never an effective tool, as though my only answer to every problem I face is to shoot it. Then you say I don't grasp reality... What's your fucking problem dude? This whole thing started because I said people in horror movies are dumb (proven fact that everyone agreed to including you) and that's why I can't watch them (my opinion, not something that you can decide is right or wrong). So why jump down my throat?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #24339
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I keep wanting to jump in here, but I don't think I can add anything worthwhile to what you are already saying.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #24340
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I just sit in the back where I can see the whole screen.
Shit, that is a good point. I haven't been able to sit further back because it's been impossible to find six seats in a row the last few times we've all gone.

Next time, we are going to arrive stupid early. The kids are getting old enough to sit patiently for a while.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #24341
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
You got me figured out Tcoat. I have no idea what is practical, plausible, right, wrong, or otherwise. I think everything is solved with a hail of sniper accurate bullets and I pick and choose what I believe is real. I have no idea what real life is like because I live in a carefully crafted bubble built by video games.

Why is it that whenever I make a point about anything you feel you have to attack me? You drug in anime to make a point on suspended belief because shows where people have supernatural powers are identical to people making obviously bad decisions. Then you make 3 comments in a row about how a gun is never an effective tool, as though my only answer to every problem I face is to shoot it. Then you say I don't grasp reality... What's your fucking problem dude? This whole thing started because I said people in horror movies are dumb (proven fact that everyone agreed to including you) and that's why I can't watch them (my opinion, not something that you can decide is right or wrong). So why jump down my throat?
If you think having a logical argument is jumping down your throat...

It's a discussion on how the movies aren't exactly as dumb as many people think when you really look at it. And the argument of this vs. anime was to try and relate it. To me it seems like because they seem like people in modern times then it doesnt matter if the antogonist is supernatural they should be able to deal with it. I think everyone can talk a tough game but the shock of dealing with the shit charactors deal with in horror films would freeze 95% of people in their tracks out of fear.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (12-23-2016), Tcoat (12-23-2016), Ultramaroon (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #24342
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Shit, that is a good point. I haven't been able to sit further back because it's been impossible to find six seats in a row the last few times we've all gone.

Next time, we are going to arrive stupid early. The kids are getting old enough to sit patiently for a while.
Most of the theaters around here are going to assigned seating (leather recliners) which makes it nice. Just gotta buy tix in advance for popular shows/times.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (12-23-2016), Ultramaroon (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #24343
Tcoat

Quote:

I am simply countering your points with examples. You repeatedly said you would simply shoot them and when I had made very clear that shooting would have no effect you stated that you would just get kitted up and shot more accurately. I did not say they were dumb I said quite the opposite that we perceived them to be and stated my reasons as to why I felt they weren't. It is not my fault that you can't grasp the fact that movie actions would vary from real life (since it isn't) and yell at the screen.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #24344
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
If you think having a logical argument is jumping down your throat then you do have a distorted view of reality.

It's a discussion on how the movies aren't exactly as dumb as many people think when you really look at it. And the argument of this vs. anime was to try and relate it. To me it seems like because they seem like people in modern times then it doesnt matter if the antogonist is supernatural they should be able to deal with it. I think everyone can talk a tough game but the shock of dealing with the shit charactors deal with in horror films would freeze 95% of people in their tracks out of fear.
And I made valid counter points to everything. Then the "distorted reality" thing has to be brought up because of I don't agree with Tcoat, then I must not be fully sane
Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #24345
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Last film I watched in 3D was Tron: Legacy. It was quite well done for 3D, which means it was dog shit on a stick stuck into my eyes, alternating back and forth, 48 times per second. You 3D lovers probably also love the quality films from Michael Bay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (12-23-2016), Ultramaroon (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #24346
Ashikabi

Quote:
I am simply countering your points with examples. You repeatedly said you would simply shoot them and when I had made very clear that shooting would have no effect you stated that you would just get kitted up and shot more accurately. I did not say they were dumb I said quite the opposite that we perceived them to be and stated my reasons as to why I felt they weren't. It is not my fault that you can't grasp the fact that movie actions would vary from real life (since it isn't) and yell at the screen.
I did not "repeatedly" say I would shoot up the villain. I mentioned it once, you said no one could make the shot under pressure, I suggested kiting. If Jason could run, why doesn't he chase anyone?
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis