follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #29
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The heat and humidity will not be a friend. What shop did you use? There are some shady places in florida, and they might do everything to keep that as low as possible to try and get some business from you.[/QUOTE]

I would still expect the curve to be different though.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
Unholypanda

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
How many miles between when you flashed the tune and the dyno pull?

The heat and humidity will not be a friend. What shop did you use? There are some shady places in florida, and they might do everything to keep that as low as possible to try and get some business from you.
Probably like 100. It was at Powertech Performance in Pinellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Logs don't look too bad.

On good 93 jist modify iam initial to be 1 then it will start with iam at 1 ie get max power straight away.
I'll try that if I go back to 93 once I try out E85 later this week. I feel like i might have just got bad gas. I drove to work today pretty conservatively to try and get it to reset to 1. Stayed pegged at .7 the whole drive. It only seems to go up when I got WOT. https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/dri...k?log=0&data=1
Unholypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholypanda View Post
I drove to work today pretty conservatively to try and get it to reset to 1..... It only seems to go up when I got WOT.[/url]
Correct, the IAM will not increase during cruise conditions.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-30-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #32
Unholypanda

Low fuel light came on last night, and I was gonna go 93, but I decided to wait till this weekend. Did a half fill at Shell and my IAM shot up to 1 almost right as I left work today. Must have been bad gas. Looks like it stabilized my fuel trims a bit too, never dipped below -10. I also tightened up the headers and the rest of the exhaust as well. Found a leak at the end of the cat back that I added a 2nd gasket to fix. That could have helped as well. Overall I'm feeling much better about it now. Should I work on getting the fuel trims down lower? Do I need to MAF scale? I just put in an after market K&N high flow yesterday as well.

https://datazap.me/u/unholypanda/new...&data=10-11-12
Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
Unholypanda

Low fuel light came on last night, and I was gonna go 93, but I decided to wait till this weekend. Did a half fill at Shell and my IAM shot up to 1 almost right as I left work today. Must have been bad gas. Looks like it stabilized my fuel trims a bit too, never dipped below -10. I also tightened up the headers and the rest of the exhaust as well. Found a leak at the end of the cat back that I added a 2nd gasket to fix. That could have helped as well. Overall I'm feeling much better about it now. Should I work on getting the fuel trims down lower? Do I need to MAF scale? I just put in an after market K&N high flow yesterday as well.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #34
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Your long term fuel trims are still a bit high at idle. Usually that indicates a upstream exhaust leak like the header to block in my experience or over pipe junctions. Maybe the ecu just needs to adjust a bit more now that your have good gas in the car. Also I hope you meant a new singular gasket at the end of your cat back. You should only ever need one.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #35
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholypanda View Post

I think your ecu is figuring things out. 6 years ago I was running an ecutek tune with stock everything. I added a p&l header. Did absolutely nothing for the car at first but after a few days it was like someone flicked a switch. Day and night difference. Stay patient. Itll get figured out
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #36
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
This is why custom tuning works better. Spending over 1500 + labor on bolt-ons, but then saving a couple hundred on the tune is rarely worth it. Some get lucky with the OTS maps and make power, but you'll always get the best results with a custom tune via EcuTek....
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #37
moliver

Drives: FR-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero-Limit View Post
This is why custom tuning works better. Spending over 1500 + labor on bolt-ons, but then saving a couple hundred on the tune is rarely worth it. Some get lucky with the OTS maps and make power, but you'll always get the best results with a custom tune via EcuTek....
YEPPERs
moliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #38
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero-Limit View Post

Even E-tunes? Ive seen several people go through many revisions with Ecuteck, to finally hit the dyno with disappointing numbers. Only after getting tuned on a dyno they reached the potential of the mods the car had. It has honesty held me back from making the switch to a Flexfuel Ecutek setup which in its self can run north of $1500. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:28 PM   #39
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
E tunes are a compromise which should only be made if you have absolutely no way of getting to a dyno.

I've driven over 2k km round trips to get my car tuned by my preferred tuner, on a dyno.

The tune is the most important part of any performance upgrade

It beats me why people spend thousands on rims or useless cosmetic mods (body kits), but cheap out with a OFT and/or E Tunes.

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:21 AM   #40
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

It beats me why people spend thousands on rims or useless cosmetic mods (body kits), but cheap out with a OFT and/or E Tunes.

Eh, its not my money they spend so it never concerned me personally. I mean you could have bought a better car and not had to mod it at all right? It would have been cheaper in the long run, and yet..

Anyway, I think I'll just search for a well known Ecutek tuner in a decent driving range. I've seen a guy with $2600 into his setup between a fancy header, Ecutek e-tune and Flexfuel just to throw down 182hp on the local dynojet when a OFT user with a OTS tune made similar on the same dyno. I'd be pissed.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #41
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
E tunes are a compromise which should only be made if you have absolutely no way of getting to a dyno.

I've driven over 2k km round trips to get my car tuned by my preferred tuner, on a dyno.

The tune is the most important part of any performance upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Eh, its not my money they spend so it never concerned me personally. I mean you could have bought a better car and not had to mod it at all right? It would have been cheaper in the long run, and yet..

Anyway, I think I'll just search for a well known Ecutek tuner in a decent driving range. I've seen a guy with $2600 into his setup between a fancy header, Ecutek e-tune and Flexfuel just to throw down 182hp on the local dynojet when a OFT user with a OTS tune made similar on the same dyno. I'd be pissed.

Correct on an NA car you can use ecutek, oft, tactrix brzedit or even a kess clone for $50 usa and get the same result.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 AM   #42
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post

Meh, I wanted a RWD manual, with my budget, it was either the 86 or the MX5, I wanted new, the 86 responds better to mods, so, I hunted a deal.

In the end, aftet all my mods, my 86 has cost much less than my 2015 STI, it also makes more power and I believe is way more fun driving as well.

Sometimes spending more money on the initial outlay isn't the right recipe.

I will have spent about $45k AUD all up on the 86

My 2015 STI cost me $52k AUD

My 86 is a much more fun ride

I also looked at the Mustang, but the $70k AUD cost, and the weight of the thing put me off.

Hopefully the new 86 that "may" come out in 21-22 is as impressive as my 17, if it is, it will go through the same type of mods as my 17 and punch well above its weight.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote