follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Taking a chance with the dealer?

So, this Friday, I am using the local Toyota/Subaru dealer for maintenance. I have an Edelbrock S/C, so I want to have 30w oil. Also, they supply tires, so I am having Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on. Decent deal and they look they come from TireRack.

I am a little nervous...do I need to be? I am thinking, please use the right oil, change the crush washer, don't touch the ECU, get the TPMS right, balance the tires correctly, don't drive it off the lot, don't scratch it...I would not describe myself as a worrier in any way, but does anyone else go through this? I don't worry like this when my kids go to the doctor, but then if they were getting their feet replaced and their stomach acid changed maybe I would LOL
Ultramaroon (08-21-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would do the oil change myself... A) cheaper. B) right parts.

The tire change, easy and they should be able to do it without scratching the wheels if they're factory. They shouldn't have to drive it off the lot and TPMS systems are easy to swap.

They are professionals, but they generally get paid on "book time" so they try and do stuff quickly. Quickly means by the book and they're used to working with factory parts. Throw new or different parts in to the mix and it messes up their routine. This is easy maintenance stuff though.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-17-2016), Teseo (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I personally trust America's Tire more than the dealership to put in tires and balance. do the oil change yourself as it is a good learning opportunity and easy way to know that everything is being done the way you want it. there should be no excuse other than a physical disability that prevents you from doing an oil change. even if you don't have a garage, do it in a parking lot.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,885 Times in 16,448 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
So, this Friday, I am using the local Toyota/Subaru dealer for maintenance. I have an Edelbrock S/C, so I want to have 30w oil. Also, they supply tires, so I am having Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on. Decent deal and they look they come from TireRack.

I am a little nervous...do I need to be? I am thinking, please use the right oil, change the crush washer, don't touch the ECU, get the TPMS right, balance the tires correctly, don't drive it off the lot, don't scratch it...I would not describe myself as a worrier in any way, but does anyone else go through this? I don't worry like this when my kids go to the doctor, but then if they were getting their feet replaced and their stomach acid changed maybe I would LOL
DANG! .......paiceyfan ....... you're setting yourself up for a BIG ulcer .....

At some point you should just trust the professionals at the dealership....

HOWEVER, you may wish to stress to the service writer, that 30 weight oil be used and make sure he writes that on the work order.

Also, I suggest you have the service writer write across the work order DO NOT WASH. Then place a piece of paper taped to the dash that says DO NOT WASH THIS VEHICLE.

As far as the oil change, I always mark the old filter, so I can check to make sure it was replaced. Also, I always check the oil level before I drive it off the lot. In addition, I peek under the car before I drive off to make sure oil isn't dripping from the drain plug.

As far as the tires, before you drive off you may take a peek and see if you see any wheel weights attached (well, maybe the were "perfect" tires....).

Also, If they are "directional" make sure they were properly mounted.

After you leave the lot, I would take it up the freeway to make sure the wheels are in balance.

Like I say, you gotta learn to trust the professionals .......

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (08-18-2016), paiceyfan (08-17-2016), Spartarus (08-17-2016), Teseo (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Your not going to be real happy with the DWS tires on the brz. Just a for warning if you do any kind of sporty driving.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Your not going to be real happy with the DWS tires on the brz. Just a for warning if you do any kind of sporty driving.

What's the issue with these?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Antihero983
Autobot

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As a dealer tech, my advice is as follows:

Explain the level of care you take of this vehicle, and your concerns about leaving it with them. Explain that you will be looking the car over before you take it home.

That being said, if you are that buttclenched about letting someone work on your car (I am the same way, hence why I am lucky to be a subie tech), learn to do it yourself, and make friends with people who work at shops. It takes very little to compensate a friend for work. I accept money, jagermeister, and food. lol

Good luck, and my the odds be ever in your favor.

Also, I don't drive my car to work, I have a 600$ corolla for that. haha
1996 Corolla
What the hell am I thinking...
Antihero983 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antihero983 For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (08-22-2016), paiceyfan (08-17-2016), Teseo (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You know, after reading all the dealer complaints on this forum, I'd be sweating bullets if I ever took my car to a dealer... And I can fix anything they can f*ck up.

Can't blame you.

That said, last time I was at a dealer, I voided my warranty and bought my car. In that order.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-17-2016), Ultramaroon (08-21-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,885 Times in 16,448 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
That said, last time I was at a dealer, I voided my warranty and bought my car. In that order.
Would you like to explained how THAT worked ........ ??

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
I like to picture a scene where Spartarus is taking a shit on the service managers desk... and leaving a little flag in it with his name in gold letters, as a distraction, shortly prior to signing the purchase paperwork while his buddies are jacking up the car in the lot and ripping out all the emissions control accessories and throwing on a turbo kit.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Looks like you are from OR so I'd say post up on the local PNW subforum and see if any locals are willing to spend an hour or two on the weekend with you to change the oil.

Find a specialty shop that works on mounting/balancing tires in your area. Might cost a little bit more but it might take the edge of your worries.

Now if you are worried about scratches, take your cellphone (that hopefully records in decent quality) and do an entire walk around of the car. Note verbally any pre-existing "defects" such as scratches, chips, dents, etc.

I'm not opposed to the dealership completely since I'll be taking the car in for a fuel gauge issue next week.. and they could possibly taking apart the dash and other parts. But oil change is super simple, and I admit I am extremely lazy.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-17-2016), paiceyfan (08-18-2016), Spartarus (08-18-2016), Ultramaroon (08-21-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
What's the issue with these?
They are a winter bias all season tire. The side wall is very soft. You will have alot of tire roll. I had these on my wrx before I went summer tire/ winter tire rather then running all seasons.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
if your car is heavily modded especially with a turbo kit or supercharger..don't go to dealership...do it yourself or take it to a tuner shop
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (08-23-2016), paiceyfan (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Looks like you are from OR so I'd say post up on the local PNW subforum and see if any locals are willing to spend an hour or two on the weekend with you to change the oil.

Find a specialty shop that works on mounting/balancing tires in your area. Might cost a little bit more but it might take the edge of your worries.

Now if you are worried about scratches, take your cellphone (that hopefully records in decent quality) and do an entire walk around of the car. Note verbally any pre-existing "defects" such as scratches, chips, dents, etc.

I'm not opposed to the dealership completely since I'll be taking the car in for a fuel gauge issue next week.. and they could possibly taking apart the dash and other parts. But oil change is super simple, and I admit I am extremely lazy.

the tech that replaced my entire dashboard did a pretty good job...but then again he really wanted to order the dashboard..guess he wanted a little project to work on lol and he owns a fr-s too so he can relate and treat my car with care...i'll leech of the dealership while my warranty and 2-year free maintenance is still in effect
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-18-2016)