follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #15
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how can you say jackson racing is "better choice" than innocate when they are totally different sc type
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
how can you say jackson racing is "better choice" than innocate when they are totally different sc type
Not saying JRSC is bad by any means. But it definitely is over hyped by the fan boys and used to be heavily pushed by some vendors on here. I was on the verge of getting it but read way too many people having there blowers fail on them and taking months to get a replacement. Scared me off. Seems like most failures with sprintex where minor resolvable issues, install error or bent rods from too much torque. The unit itself as long as you didn’t starve it of oil seemed pretty reliable. For wanting 300whp or less and not wanting to go turbo id say it’s a solid option if you can E85 or are willing to WMI (which to be fare increases cost even more) and intercooler is a must.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
If this is a purely street driven car, the sprintex 210 kit is nice. I got mine used with 30000 on the on the blower from a member here and works great. Keep looking and you can fine deals. Got mine for 2800$ and this was IC cooled. Do you need to be carb legal? If not why not go turbo?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #18
ltown

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Are you planning on building the engine?
What are your whp goals?
What kind of power delivery do you want?
Low/mid torque or high end peak hp?
Car use? DD, spirited driving, canyon/backroad, autox, track, dragstrip, stop light/roll racing?

C38 is larger with more potential, but even the C30 is plenty capable of blowing stock engine. I believe it’s about 350whp vs 400whp max potential on a normal non hero dyno.
i dont have whp goals, just safe horse power with good efficiency and maintain reliability. the car is a spirited DD first and foremost. the kits ive narrowed down to is the hks v3 and jackson racing. ive thrown out the idea of the used spintex. but still so lost on what ill actuall need to get the goals i want. for instance, will i need a different MAP sensor for either kit?
ltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:28 AM   #19
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Bigger blower = more potential for more money. If you're going to stay on the carb tune with stock pulley, get the c30. Don't waste your money. If you're going to build your engine, swap pulleys, and get a custom tune, get the C38.

A lot of people find the JRSC reliable.

The innovate is just old tech. Why bother?

None of this is going to be as reliable or easy to keep up as stock. Maybe you should just go buy a Z or something else with more power stock? An Ace header, billet power blocks, and tune gets the car into a pretty sweet NA spot.
i love the 86 platform too much lol and i keep very good maintenance on the car, i just dont want to be fixing something ever 20k miles ya know? so i want a good kit that has good design. changing a belt and supercharger oil every 30k is totally doable, just dont want headache problems that are hard to figure out with all the changes i put on. things like(check engine lights and leaking supercharger oil)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 AM   #20
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
If this is a purely street driven car, the sprintex 210 kit is nice. I got mine used with 30000 on the on the blower from a member here and works great. Keep looking and you can fine deals. Got mine for 2800$ and this was IC cooled. Do you need to be carb legal? If not why not go turbo?

i want more broad power usage in low to mid range rpm, plus i upgraded exhaust already and dont want to have to buy turbo header lol
Old 05-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #21
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
No centrifugal is low to mid range. Harrop or Edelbrock then. Not sure why you want low to mid when high is what makes the car so fun.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #22
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltown View Post
i want more broad power usage in low to mid range rpm, plus i upgraded exhaust already and dont want to have to buy turbo header lol
Sprintex will have the most broad power band across entire RPM range highest low/mid torque in comparison to any other kit at or below 300whp. Does have heatsoak issues if tracking without E85 or WMI, not a big deal if just spirited driving though.
HKS/JRSC will have the lowest power band with least low/mid range torque. Harrop and edelbrock are in between closer to sprintex though. This is all in comparison with all kits making 300whp peak or less. If wanting more then 300whp which becomes increasingly less reliable especially for DD then sprintex can’t hang as it maxes out at 300whp. But at or below 300whp it’s a good option for a fun spirited DD.
JRSC/HKS aren’t bad but you need to rev it out to get power good for tracking when constantly at high rpm. Plus side with lower low/mid torque you may be able to run a little higher peak whp more safe and reliably but still need to really rev it out.

See attached dynos 1st sprintex. Second is JRSC
Attached Images

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 05-27-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
ltown

i see the torque on the spintex is crazy right off idle lol, but they no longer sale the non intercooler version and the intercooled one is more expensive then the hks and jackson racing. the hks/JR kits dont have as much torque down low this is true but its still better then stock. so really i think im ok with that. if i want the power out i can decide myself how high to take the rpms, and for a daily driver that choice comes along alot. i think im going to go HKS with their v3 system, weirdly enough i like that it uses the stock air box. p.s. other then a tune, can i just run this kit with no other mods? etc MAP sensor?
Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #24
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
i see the torque on the spintex is crazy right off idle lol, but they no longer sale the non intercooler version and the intercooled one is more expensive then the hks and jackson racing. the hks/JR kits dont have as much torque down low this is true but its still better then stock. so really i think im ok with that. if i want the power out i can decide myself how high to take the rpms, and for a daily driver that choice comes along alot. i think im going to go HKS with their v3 system, weirdly enough i like that it uses the stock air box. p.s. other then a tune, can i just run this kit with no other mods? etc MAP sensor?
Each kit if bought new will provide everything you need. Get the tuner kits so you can get a custom etune. With the Bluetooth version you can log with your phone and keep an eye on AFR and other important temps like coolant and oil. If your stuck on brand new, the eddlebrock is the best kit. Gives you plenty of headroom, and is also a twin screw unit giving you down low tq.

BTW no kit will be truly plug in play. Your adding power and tq to an engine that was not design to handle the extra power. Expect the worse and hope for the best. But with any kit the 2 most important things are:

Tune
Proper install

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #25
86TOYO2k17

And oil / coolant temps.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #26
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I got mine new with intercooler for 3900$ from Bahn Brenner. My goal was 260whp. Or 310crank. For 300whp or less it’s the meatiest powerband. Instant power at any RPM, I have the torque/power anytime if and when I want/need. Just control it with the throttle. It’s always there if I want and not if i don’t. Centrifugal need to downshift and rev out to get power. It is more similar to stock power delivery just amplified. HKS v3 kit does look pretty solid though, after months of going back and forth between just about every kit I narrowed it down to sprintex and HKS V3. If I went HKS my goal would have been 280whp. But settled on sprintex at 260whp.

Regardless, both kits are basically bolt ons, just need a tune. Neither come with a map sensor but it’s not required they can be tuned just fine with the MAF. An oil cooler is highly recommended. I already had the OEM one so just got a mishimoto radiator and temps are fine. If I didn’t already have oem oil cooler I’d probably get a real oil cooler. You’ll also want some good tires, probably some 8.5-9” wide rims with a 245 tire to be able to actually put the power down or you’ll probably be spinning stock tires to the top of 2nd.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #27
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I got mine new with intercooler for 3900$ from Bahn Brenner. My goal was 260whp. Or 310crank. For 300whp or less it’s the meatiest powerband. Instant power at any RPM, I have the torque/power anytime if and when I want/need. Just control it with the throttle. It’s always there if I want and not if i don’t. Centrifugal need to downshift and rev out to get power. It is more similar to stock power delivery just amplified. HKS v3 kit does look pretty solid though, after months of going back and forth between just about every kit I narrowed it down to sprintex and HKS V3. If I went HKS my goal would have been 280whp. But settled on sprintex at 260whp.

Regardless, both kits are basically bolt ons, just need a tune. Neither come with a map sensor but it’s not required they can be tuned just fine with the MAF. An oil cooler is highly recommended. I already had the OEM one so just got a mishimoto radiator and temps are fine. If I didn’t already have oem oil cooler I’d probably get a real oil cooler. You’ll also want some good tires, probably some 8.5-9” wide rims with a 245 tire to be able to actually put the power down or you’ll probably be spinning stock tires to the top of 2nd.
OEM oil cooler? i didnt know stock 86 had that? do you know what your temps are at? both ECT and IAT? and what did you notice with gas mileage?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #28
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
HKS is centrifugal. Doesn't match what you say you want.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote