follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've never bought from Godspeed before so I have nothing firsthand to base this on, but going from feedback on other forums, it seems like everyone is really overestimating the capacity for failure for these parts. Maybe a hole is tighter than it should be; bfd - I have drills. And I've had to do the same thing with parts from Koni, Bilstein, Neuspeed, Tectonics, Eibach, etc. If the bar is bent wrong, I simply send it back for either replacement or refund, using the OEM one as proof. Case closed. Material choice is another potential issue, but if it's chromoly like they claim it is, I'm not too worried. This forum has some real issues with certain brands for no apparent good reason, simply based on internet folklore. Spinning Sushi is the only one who seems to have any experience at all with them, and even his reported issues are rather strange sounding. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, maybe not. It's just $120 bucks - maybe I should've bought something totally useless like JDM exhaust tips..? lol
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
Apex-Apex (05-31-2016), Cole (06-03-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Do you consider Mugen or Tomei stuff "hit and miss?" Take a guess what country much of their stuff is made.

I'm not sure where godspeed has their stuff made, or what material they use. Although I know that most reputable brands use chromoly for sway bars which has higher tensile and yield strength than your lower grade steels that may bend without springing back to shape. I dont think godspeed uses chromoly steel.
what I meant with basic Taiwan stuff was generic low quality control stuff. If you think the facility that produces runs for tomei runs the same QC as one doing it for generic ebay brand #5124 then you are mistaken. That's what I meant with basic Taiwan shit, not that anything made there is shit

hopefully it is clearer now.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Was there a curb involved...? lol I've never seen a swaybar bend from normal use...
Mine was from a pot hole and my old replica wheels didn't bend but the sway bar did.
Spinning Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #18
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
If you are willing to sacrifice significant quality in design, materials, and tolerances... in favor of 50% off pricing, Godspeed does make functional parts.

Just understand that there is value in certified materials, weld/finish quality, engineer effort (FEA, material selection, design for 6-sigma, packaging, etc), and technician effort (fair wages/hours, quality control, hazardous materials and work environments).

I've seen plenty of their parts in-person, and it's hit-and-miss. I'd rather support companies that invest in quality (as mentioned in my signature). You don't always need Raceseng & Penske parts... but guys like Grimmspeed make cost-effective and quality parts.

In the sway bar market, I'm a fanboy for Eibach, RCE, Whiteline, Cusco, Perrin, Hotchkis, Strano, and TRD. Among them, you should be able to find something that fits your goals.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
solidONE (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Well, none of the brands I usually use (see prior list) can offer even a single bar for the delivered price of this set. They are the exact size I want, and they're so stupid-low in price that even if they lose their temper after a year or whatever, I'm still only out 120 bucks. Like I said earlier, you can't even by a set of flipping exhaust tips for that. If that does happen (which I think is probably pretty weak odds...), then I just buy a better set in the same size (18/22) and chalk it up. I'm not a Saudi Prince, but at the same time, 120 dollars isn't going to force me into bankruptcy. And that's even if the company doesn't warranty them.

Last edited by venturaII; 06-02-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #20
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

And besides, they've already shipped and should be here in a few days...lol.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Sushi View Post
Mine was from a pot hole and my old replica wheels didn't bend but the sway bar did.

So you're saying a pothole big enough to cycle your suspension through it's entire stroke but not even bend a wheel, let alone damage something else, is what bent the bar? That's pretty incredible, if so.
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
Apex-Apex (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
If you are willing to sacrifice significant quality in design, materials, and tolerances... in favor of 50% off pricing, Godspeed does make functional parts.

Just understand that there is value in certified materials, weld/finish quality, engineer effort (FEA, material selection, design for 6-sigma, packaging, etc), and technician effort (fair wages/hours, quality control, hazardous materials and work environments).

I've seen plenty of their parts in-person, and it's hit-and-miss. I'd rather support companies that invest in quality (as mentioned in my signature). You don't always need Raceseng & Penske parts... but guys like Grimmspeed make cost-effective and quality parts.

In the sway bar market, I'm a fanboy for Eibach, RCE, Whiteline, Cusco, Perrin, Hotchkis, Strano, and TRD. Among them, you should be able to find something that fits your goals.

Keep in mind, this is a sway bar, not a supercharger kit, not a dyno tested set of headers, not a track-tuned set of shocks...they're a pair of bent metal rods that are even likely copies of another brand. Assuming the material used is adequate (and it IS chromoly), it's pretty goddamned difficult to fuck up a swaybar; you literally need to make sure it's bent right , the two holes are drilled reasonable accurately, and the paint doesn't fall off. Maybe they ARE made of butter; I just think the odds are that they aren't. We'll find out shortly!

Last edited by venturaII; 06-02-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #23
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
It's a solid bar. I wouldn't worry. I would have gotten a used sti rear bar to save some money.

Please update us with a review on the fit/performance when you get the chance.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #24
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Keep in mind, this is a sway bar, not a supercharger kit, not a dyno tested set of headers, not a track-tuned set of shocks...they're a pair of bent metal rods that are even likely copies of another brand. Assuming the material used is adequate (and it IS chromoly), it's pretty goddamned difficult to fuck up a swaybar; you literally need to make sure it's bent right , the two holes are drilled reasonable accurately, and the paint doesn't fall off. Maybe they ARE made of butter; I just think the odds are that they aren't. We'll find out shortly!
I have seen all of those things gone wrong on swaybars from multiple brands over the last 12 years.

No first hand experience with Godspeed, though. Good luck.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #25
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Well, they're s'posed to show up on Tuesday, so we'll see how bad they are. lol
Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, they're s'posed to show up on Tuesday, so we'll see how bad they are. lol
I don't have their sway bars. But I did have a set of their coil overs. They worked well enough for what I bought them for. Which was slamming the car and driving around on the streets. They were fairly comfortable, and honestly, I thought they did better than the set of FA500's I replaced them with, in terms of comfort at least.

Would I buy those coils again? Maybe, but at the same-ish price point, there are still tons of other options from more reputable companies. So, of course my situation is/was a bit different from yours. However, the coils seemed like a quality piece, and now having first hand experience with the company, I'd be comfortable buying from them again.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
venturaII (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #27
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I run a godspeed 18mm rear swaybar. Finish isn't great, welds are decent and there was a piece of welding rod protruding from one of the welds on the centering ring. However it seems to do its job just fine without any issues. Made a positive difference for my purposes when drifting.
Attached Images

Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
venturaII (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #28
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So you're saying a pothole big enough to cycle your suspension through it's entire stroke but not even bend a wheel, let alone damage something else, is what bent the bar? That's pretty incredible, if so.
I know it sounds hard to believe but all the conditions were met and it bent the bar
Spinning Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote