follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I very nearly bought a 3.8 Track. I was doing a bundle-buy of two vehicles as a trade for my Ram 2500 (having a single vehicle between us wasn't working).

I could never get over the looks of the Gennie. Just not a pretty car. That's subjective, obviously. And yes, it had plenty of power, but the fuel economy readings I was seeing on the extended test drives I took (3.8 and 2.0T) were shockingly bad. It had plenty of gadgets as well (thogh I'm going to say I think the HP/TQ meter in the 2.0T is just silliness). Didn't like the blue backlighting really but that's not really a selling point for me. The 2.0T felt very turbo laggy to me (this was in an auto - I didn't learn how to drive manual until I brought home the FR-S).

I thought that the Genesis was a fun car to drive until I drove the BRZ, at which point I was blown away, having experienced what a light simple vehicle can bring to the table. I've been spoiled my last three cars with gadgets but the truth is I don't need 'em. I wanted to try a different philosophy of vehicles and that's what took me in the direction of the twins (I ended up with the FR-S only by virtue of the local Subaru dealer only being willing to bend me over rather than work with me).

Anyway, Genesis a nice car, yes. But wholly different type of car.

We did buy a Hyundai also, though. A Sonata Hybrid Limited. We're seeing 46 MPG on the non-local roads (can't call them highways around here, they still have lots of lights) with 2500 MI on the clock and it keeps getting better.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #30
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Well here's a completely subjective and biased response... The Geness is basically a copy of a 370Z, except it's even more bloated and heavy, handles worse, has a worse engine, and is uglier, and is made by a company that couldn't get driving dynamics right if you held a gun to their head. The 370Z isn't as fun to drive as the BRZ/FR-S so there is not a chance in hell that a knock-off made to undercut Nissan's price while delivering better specs on paper would ever be even 80% as good. If you feel the need to push your gas pedal to the floor at every stop light and out-race trucks and minivans because you have a small penis, the Genesis might be the better car for you.

In all seriousness, the Genesis is a completely different kind of car and I really don't believe it's meant to deliver a great experience on a track, nor do I think it will. If it is intended to deliver a great track experience, I think Hyundai failed. Then again, I have never driven one, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.
LOL, That final sentence summed it up. I owned a 370 and these cars couldnt be further apart in characteristics. I traded a die hard, focused sports car for a comfortable GT. I was under no illusions about what I was giving up and gaining. A main reason I gave the Z up was every riced out BRZ/FRS wanted to race their little eco boxes at 530 in the morning. They were like annoying little mice, just yapping. Its not as bad now in my "small penis" Genesis, and I can relax on my way in. Still happens and still utterly embarrass them when I feel like it.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
Twin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Honestly, if you are considering the Genesis GT coupe, you should also look at the new EcoBoost 'stang. That thing is an apples to apples comparo with the GT coupe and looks way better imho.
Meh, I see DOZENS of Stangs a day. Im a gear head and couldnt care less if its GT500 or a base 6. Same with Vettes. Might as well be Camry's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twin4Life For This Useful Post:
KonTheory (06-11-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #32
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
Coming from a 2013 6 Speed Nissan 370Z to a '14 3.8 Genesis Grand Touring with 8 speed auto and having a bit of seat time in the 86's, street and track at Sebring International...the Z was way too focused, too hardcore for everyday livability. This coming from a Z owner for the last 12 years..280, 300, 350 and 370Z. EASILY the quickest, fastest and grippiest of the three but too high strung. The 3.8 I just bought..love it. I have all the tech goodies, real leather everywhere, GORGEOUS interior, moonroof and 95% of the Z's performance with 200% comfort. The Z is definitely faster off the line than the 3.8 but im certain (butt dyno anyway) from maybe 45+ mph in the 3.8, it will pull on a Z. At speed the car just HAULS. Finally, I can sip my coffee driving to work at 515 in the morning. The 86's were the MOST fun on a track Ive ever had, so flickable and tossable, I couldnt stop grinning. On the street, its so so. I live in Florida, might as well be Montana for the straights and flats, though the limited time on the street with it on the curvy roads was an ABSOLUTE blast. The turn in and response is dare I say it, Porsche like. Alas, Im getting old(er), the lack of power, amenities and harsh ride were not agreeing with me.

I agree with everything you said. I was looking for more of a pure sports car, where the Genesis, and really the 370Z, are more like GT cars. When I drove the Genesis, the one word I kept coming up with to describe it was, "Almost." There still are some touches in the styling and in the cabin that seem cheap to me when comparing it to something like the Z. The BRZ Limited has most of the features anyone would want and that is why we chose it over the FRS.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com

Last edited by zdr93523; 05-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #33
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I LIKE the look of the original GC. I like the new facelift even more especially in red. I like Hyundai (had a Santa Fe at the time). I really wanted to buy a GC. But it's too big, too heavy, the manual shifter is like a stick in a bag of marbles and while you'd THINK the backseat is bigger, my head hits the rear glass (5'7") in the GC while it doesn't hit in the FR-S. More leg room though for sure. It's the Korean Mustang. So if I wanted that size, power, etc I'd buy a Mustang GT.

The other stupid thing is the brace bar across the back seat. You can fold them down but good luck getting more than a ski or two through. The FR-S has way more practical space (bike, tires etc) with the seats down which I found surprising.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #34
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Meh, I see DOZENS of Stangs a day. Im a gear head and couldnt care less if its GT500 or a base 6. Same with Vettes. Might as well be Camry's.
So? Unless you drive a kit car, there's bound to be someone else with the same car as you. Stop buying into this "exclusive" thing - no car out there that is NOT six digits or more is anywhere near exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post

I LIKE the look of the original GC. I like the new facelift even more especially in red. I like Hyundai (had a Santa Fe at the time). I really wanted to buy a GC. But it's too big, too heavy, the manual shifter is like a stick in a bag of marbles and while you'd THINK the backseat is bigger, my head hits the rear glass (5'7") in the GC while it doesn't hit in the FR-S. More leg room though for sure. It's the Korean Mustang. So if I wanted that size, power, etc I'd buy a Mustang GT.

The other stupid thing is the brace bar across the back seat. You can fold them down but good luck getting more than a ski or two through. The FR-S has way more practical space (bike, tires etc) with the seats down which I found surprising.
Korean Mustang - that's true!

Btw, I sat in a GC and I absolutely hate that shifter knob. It literally stabs my palm when I slap it down a gear quickly. Doesn't conform to my hand at all! Doesn't help that it feels... weird? Bag of marbles I guess is a good description.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #35
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL, That final sentence summed it up. I owned a 370 and these cars couldnt be further apart in characteristics. I traded a die hard, focused sports car for a comfortable GT. I was under no illusions about what I was giving up and gaining. A main reason I gave the Z up was every riced out BRZ/FRS wanted to race their little eco boxes at 530 in the morning. They were like annoying little mice, just yapping. Its not as bad now in my "small penis" Genesis, and I can relax on my way in. Still happens and still utterly embarrass them when I feel like it.
Meh, you should have kept the 370Z, it's a much cooler car than the Genesis... Maybe a touring/sport/AT if you want something cushy. I never had any problems with anyone trying to race me.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #36
Twin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
I agree with everything you said. I was looking for more of a pure sports car, where the Genesis, and really the 370Z, are more like GT cars. When I drove the Genesis, the one word I kept coming up with to describe it was, "Almost." There still are some touches in the styling and in the cabin that seem cheap to me when comparing it to something like the Z. The BRZ premium has most of the features anyone would want and that is why we chose it over the FRS.
I agree 100%. The 3.8 is a heavy sucker. You really feel it too. Do I wish it were lighter? You bet? Do I care that much? No. But for less than $34k fully loaded, and it's NOT a Mustang. It is an "almost" car. Totally. It's the things I was looking for at the time that became the "it" car. Power. Check. But most importantly the interior and comfort, and tech. If I wanted pure speed, I would have kept my ten month old Z. If I wanted pure, light handling, I would have gotten the BRZ. IF I had $75k to drop on a car I'd have gotten an M4. Lol.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #37
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:
I agree 100%. The 3.8 is a heavy sucker. You really feel it too. Do I wish it were lighter? You bet? Do I care that much? No. But for less than $34k fully loaded, and it's NOT a Mustang. It is an "almost" car. Totally. It's the things I was looking for at the time that became the "it" car. Power. Check. But most importantly the interior and comfort, and tech. If I wanted pure speed, I would have kept my ten month old Z. If I wanted pure, light handling, I would have gotten the BRZ. IF I had $75k to drop on a car I'd have gotten an M4. Lol.
Exactly. I really think the GC 3.8 compares most closely with the G37. So in that case it's a question of whether the extra $20k is worth it to you for the extra refinement.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 05-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #38
Twin4Life

Quote:
Meh, you should have kept the 370Z, it's a much cooler car than the Genesis... Maybe a touring/sport/AT if you want something cushy. I never had any problems with anyone trying to race me.
I don't care about what's cooler. The Touring Z with Auto is still too harsh, the seats are too firm and interior not appointed as well the 3.8. And it's 10 grand more comparably equipped!! The 3.8 was perfect for me. I dunno, maybe next year I'll get a new car if I don't like this any longer. Or maybe, praying, if a real STI version of the Twins come to fruition I'll have that as my sports car for the weekend and keep my comfy 3.8 for the week. I could see that. Assuming they don't feck up the feel the 86 has now.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #39
Twin4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
Exactly. I really think the GC 3.8 compares most closely with the G37. So in that case it's a question of whether the extra $20k is worth it to you for the extra refinement.

Yep. Exactly. Ever drive the 37? $20k more than the 3.8 and I honestly think the interior is better on the 3.8. Not to mention it was rather bland to drive. I WANTED to love it, had the Z at the time my wife and I were shopping for a new car for her. Didn't blow me away at all. Got her a '13 Volvo S60. God, I love that car. Now that's comfy.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #40
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:
Yep. Exactly. Ever drive the 37? $20k more than the 3.8 and I honestly think the interior is better on the 3.8. Not to mention it was rather bland to drive. I WANTED to love it, had the Z at the time my wife and I were shopping for a new car for her. Didn't blow me away at all. Got her a '13 Volvo S60. God, I love that car. Now that's comfy.
Yea, I've driven both. It's definitely more numb than the Z. I prefer the Infiniti interior to the Genesis though.

www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The Touring Z with Auto is still too harsh
Wow... I thought the Z was kind of porky and soft.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #42
Twin4Life

Quote:
Wow... I thought the Z was kind of porky and soft.
Whhhhhaaaaaattttt??? Really?? Compared to what? I'm intrigued!! My God you'd think Genesis is like driving a full size Caddy!! Lol

Tags
fat pig, galapagos tortoise, korean pony car, powered by kimchi