follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #43
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
What's you guys opinions on the Stance solid bushing inserts vs the poly(or whatever) Whiteline style bushing inserts? Probably more NVH but less give right? I'm LS swapping so stiffening the diff/subframe seemed wise
Unless it's a race car, living with solid bushings can be painful.

My 86 with subframe and diff support inserts has enough NVH to annoy the missus that she wants the windows down if we go for a drive, even when its 35!° C.

Noise mainly, some vibrations at certain RPM's.

75% of my noise comes from the Whiteline diff inserts.

The added NVH from inserts doesn't bother me "much" though.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #44
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

My 86 with subframe and diff support inserts has enough NVH to annoy the missus that she wants the windows down if we go for a drive, even when its 35!° C.

Well the Stance inserts aren't full replacement bushings. They appear to be a billet version of the Whiteline inserts
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #45
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I installed finally the tS >16 lower stoppers with tS longer bolts in all four subframe corners.
Car seems little bit more predictable when sliding or during weight transfer on continuous corners, imho it should have them from the factory.
No NVH increase, may be due to stiffened rear end it is more comfort now but the difference is tiny anyway.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-09-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #46
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
All 4? Shouldn't they go in front only?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #47
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
All 4? Shouldn't they go in front only?
There were some reviews in the past that the fronts do most of the work, but I'm thinking now that it is best to install all 4. You should get a bit more improvement with the rears. It looks that STI installed only the fronts to keep the cost lower. Not so much because of the additional cost of the part, but the additional installation work. I remember to pay more for labor than the parts when I installed the front in my car. Normally you don't remove completely the subframe, so I guess you need extra time if you do both front the rear.

Last edited by nikitopo; 02-10-2019 at 04:21 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #48
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
There were some reviews in the past that the fronts do most of the work, but I'm thinking now that it is best to install all 4. You should get a bit more improvement with the rears. It looks that STI installed only the fronts to keep the cost lower. Not so much because of the additional cost of the part, but the additional installation work. I remember to pay more for labor than the parts when I installed the front in my car. Normally you don't remove completely the subframe, so I guess you need extra time if you do both front the rear.
If you do one by one you only need to jack up each subframe corner when you install the new longer bolt, simply take off the old and install the new BY HAND.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #49
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone mentioned the spoon rigid collars yet? I plan on doing those in conjunction with the WL subframe inserts.

Spoon has a cool video explaining how the rigid collars work, but in short, they help mate the irregular surfaces of the subframe and chassis together. Manufacturing processes don't allow perfect mating surfaces between the subframe and chassis, and these are supposed to fill in that area making the mounting points completely flush. This supposedly equates to a whole bunch of handling goodness

https://www.spoonsports.eu/50261-na1-001.html

Some of the speedhunter guys have them on their cars as well.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/01/...-honda-heaven/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/06/...s_to_the_gt_r/
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:10 AM   #50
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW 86 View Post
Has anyone mentioned the spoon rigid collars yet? I plan on doing those in conjunction with the WL subframe inserts.

Spoon has a cool video explaining how the rigid collars work, but in short, they help mate the irregular surfaces of the subframe and chassis together. Manufacturing processes don't allow perfect mating surfaces between the subframe and chassis, and these are supposed to fill in that area making the mounting points completely flush. This supposedly equates to a whole bunch of handling goodness

https://www.spoonsports.eu/50261-na1-001.html

Some of the speedhunter guys have them on their cars as well.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/01/...-honda-heaven/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/06/...s_to_the_gt_r/
STI subframe bolts (from tS) do the same, they are wider/longer and close the gap so there is no horizontal movement of the subframe, along with the upper or lower stoppers (upper work on compression lower on extension) they improve the overall feeling of the rear when cornering.
See yourself the difference between the tow bolts:

Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #51
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Huh, interesting. So the "TS" bolts are different dimensionally, and still work?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #52
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really interested in some thoughts from the group on this topic. I am planning to do something relatively soon, and I'm split on whether I should run Spoon rigid collars, or if I should go for full solid bushings like those from SPL, or if I should do bushing topper inserts like the Whiteline ones for my subframe. I really want to reduce subframe slop, because as I've gotten stickier tires it's more and more obvious how much the body moves.

What's the consensus on the best solution that isn't going to absolutely torture me if I happen to drive on a rough road (which is unfortunately all over the place here in SATX)?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #53
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Daily driver? It all comes down to you, man. How hardcore are you? I drove solid subframe and diff mount along with all kinds of other "track" parts a hundred or so miles everyday for months. Some of my friends hate how loud the exaust is in the car, or how much vibration there can be while driving, harsh bumps. And I completely understand why, but they're also just a passenger, they dont feel the wheel in their hands, or how the car moves under you. All essentially useless when you're sitting in your commute. The largest noticeable differences for me was how quick the rear responded to hard throttle/clutch kicks, cured wheel hop and quick direction change stability.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #54
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post

I installed PBM solid diff/subrame mounts about 3 years ago, there is a bit of noise, kinda sounds like there is a supercharger in my boot... But it's just to much nicer with them in there, rear end feels much more solid.

I have sound deadened my boot, which helped with noise (and got rid of exhaust drone)

My car is my work car, so i put on a fair few km's, and had done drives from Melb to Canberra and the noise doesn't worry me.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuddbutter For This Useful Post:
15limited (02-27-2019)