follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Shankenstein Those amps you listed don't look very good. No damping, no proper SNR values, and some real hideous ones for the tiny '32' amp. I'd avoid if you're looking for SQ.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback, ft_sjo!

I've always heard that distortion in automobiles, the threshold for audibility is 1% on music and 0.1% on tones.
http://www.bcae1.com/thd.htm

The worst amp is spec'd at < 0.05% (measured at 1000 Hz usually). Most of their stuff stays south of 0.1% at rated, throughout the spectrum, so it shouldn't color the sound in any meaningful way. Even then, the first even harmonic is the dominant one.
http://www.41hz.com/forums/content.p...b-measurements

Cars are pretty squeaky and rattley, so I'll take my chances. Laziness is really the obstacle here.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Thanks Rupert!

If we get a few people pounding away at MiniDSP, we could get some really useful information. Crossover points for great imaging, time align settings, creative mounting locations, power supply necessity, etc.

I might just buy some cheapo Alpine A/B amps and scrap the "build your own T amps" option. Guaranteed quality and less blood loss during toroid winding.

BTW, you rock for maintaining the Audio Directory thread! Good to see my argumentative discussion from a few months ago made your list.
I was honestly considering the MiniDSP route for my setup, but a full active setup is new territory for me. I have a 3sixty.3 waiting for me to install. I purposely did not get the best (DSP and speakers) at the very beginning since I am learning and gives me ample room to upgrade.

Thanks! I try my best to get the topics that (I think) would be helpful from a core audio perspective. I'm always open to suggestions on things to be added
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

@ft_sjo

As stated, I'm in the planning phase and definitely appreciate the input.

What do you think about using a ColdAmp CPS80 DC-DC Supply. It generates +/- 60 Volts with 800W continuous power. There's also plenty of car-specific protection circuitry.
LINK

Similarly, there is a slightly less expensive (and more local) option from Class D Audio. Their product produces +/- 50 Volts with 500 W continuous power.
LINK

With 800 W on tap, there are alot of options for DIY amps. I will be back once I have something worthwhile to post. Lots of chip amps and kits to consider that may have better characteristics than the AMP9 and AMP32.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
WolfSongX

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for posting the links. I will try to paruse them over the next couple of days. I'm definitely not looking to build my own amps at this time... but the setup you're working on really does appeal to the techno-geek in me, Shankenstein.

The Mini-DSP intrigues me, though I admit that currently the Rockfort Fosgate 3-Sixty-3 is high on my list right now as well and would be the "safer" choice that still gives you plenty of options to play with. My big question about the Mini DSP is what sort of adaptation is necessary for the mobile audio solution where it's going to be subject to significant vibration and other harsh environment factors.

I'm currently working out what sub driver to buy... I think I've pretty much settled on the JL Audio 10W3v3 but trying to decide whether I'm going to get it in 4ohm or 2ohm versions. In the past I've always used dual 4 ohm voice coils wired in parallel so they showed a 2 ohm load. I'm leaning towards the 2 ohm for the reason that it will push a bit more thump for the same power, but that will be amp dependent.

Still haven't finalized my amp options either. I did want to go with one 5 channel amp rather than two separate amps... I was hoping to find something with enough power to safely handle the sub I've chosen, plus still feed 75W or more into the components once they're installed... though if I'm running them without the passive crossovers, do I need as much power going into them to make them sound good. I've been trying to find some individual specs on the power handling to get a line on how to handle the tweeters. Another option that I was interested in was Speaker Level Inputs, so that I could hook it up and get the bass channel done without having to pick up some kind of line output converter... but I'm favoring the Alpine PDX-V9 which would need a LOC to hook up the bass before I get the processor.

If anyone's got some good input on which impedance to go with on the sub driver, I'd like to make the purchase by the end of the week when I get paid. Amp suggestions will also be helpful since I might jump on the right one once I make up my mind.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Professional driver in search of closed course..
WolfSongX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Sorry about going full retard on your thread. Never again.

As far as adapting MiniDSP to mobile, you'll need:
- a power supply (the picoITX, DC-DC-USB, or MeanWell units will do the job)
- a signal (unbalanced RCAs, balanced speaker-level inputs, or digitally converted coax)
- a case (aluminum project boxes are plentiful on eBay)
- standoffs, screws, soldering iron, heat shrink, etc
- neutral cure, clear RTV silicone. Hold on to yer wobbly bits!

As alluded to in my other thread, unbalanced RCAs are the primary contributors to ground loop noise. Balanced or digital is the way to go.

For the speaker impedance, it's dependent on your amp. The Alpine amp you mentioned is regulated to output the same (ish) power from 2-4 Ohms.

Generally though, higher impedance yields more stability, but has a greater chance of over-voltaging your power supply. Lower impedance yields less stability and has a greater chance of over-currenting your power supply. If you're running 1 sub, go for Dual 2. If you're running 2 subs, run Dual 4. This also gives you the flexibility to drop in a monster mono-block later and run it at 1 ohm.

As far as subs, Tantric Sounds, SoundQubed, Sundown, FI, Ascendant, SSA, etc. Give us a rough budget, power level, SQ.

Last edited by Shankenstein; 09-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
WolfSongX (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #21
ft_sjo
Banned

I'd look for a used Audison Lrx 5.1k - might fit into your budget.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
WolfSongX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Sorry about going full retard on your thread. Never again.

As far as adapting MiniDSP to mobile, you'll need:
- a power supply (the picoITX, DC-DC-USB, or MeanWell units will do the job)
- a signal (unbalanced RCAs, balanced speaker-level inputs, or digitally converted coax)
- a case (aluminum project boxes are plentiful on eBay)
- standoffs, screws, soldering iron, heat shrink, etc
- neutral cure, clear RTV silicone. Hold on to yer wobbly bits!

As alluded to in my other thread, unbalanced RCAs are the primary contributors to ground loop noise. Balanced or digital is the way to go.

For the speaker impedance, it's dependent on your amp. The Alpine amp you mentioned is regulated to output the same (ish) power from 2-4 Ohms.

Generally though, higher impedance yields more stability, but has a greater chance of over-voltaging your power supply. Lower impedance yields less stability and has a greater chance of over-currenting your power supply. If you're running 1 sub, go for Dual 2. If you're running 2 subs, run Dual 4. This also gives you the flexibility to drop in a monster mono-block later and run it at 1 ohm.

As far as subs, Tantric Sounds, SoundQubed, Sundown, FI, Ascendant, SSA, etc. Give us a rough budget, power level, SQ.
Not to worry about going full retard... you're going my type of retard and I cannot help but learn something from it. I know I'm not ready to go that DIY but it never hurts to learn more... and I appreciate the info on how to adapt the equipment to go mobile.

Driver-wise, I'm going to be using an enclosure I have which is set up for a 10" sub. Airspace is ~.70 cubic ft not including the space the driver would be taking up. I think I have a pretty good mounting depth, ~6.5-7". Budget is going to be about $200 tops. I'm looking to enhance the music, not dominate it with the bass, and I will be feeding it the average sub channel on a 5 channel amp, which looks to be 300-500W RMS range at 2 ohms. On my short list: the JL Audio 10W3V3-2 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDCN2Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller="]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDCN2Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=[/ame]

Music-wise, my tastes extend from classical type soundtracks (Doctor Who, Final Fantasy), old-school metal (Maiden, Megadeth), progressive stuff (Rush, Queensryche) to the J-Pop techno (Initial D Soundtracks). I currently have my music library on a thumb drive with various sampling rates dependent on who ripped it and the quality of the recording they used. I like the ability to "feel" the music, I was a guitarist in a band when I was younger so I do like to feel the "thud" of the drum hit against my body like I did playing live on stage.

I currently have an Alpine PDX4.100 (basically brand new, I've never hooked power to it) sitting around, but if I was going to go the multiple amp route, I would probably have preferred to run 0 gauge back to the distribution block... That's why I'm preferring to go with a single 5 channel amp with either an AB section and a D section or all Class D on the channels. I guess I could probably run two amps off the 4 gauge run, my chassis ground to the battery is reinforced with a 0 gauge wire. I've actually been interested in the new Rockfort Fosgate Punch P1000X5 amps which seem to have a bunch of neat features including balanced speaker level inputs (so no need for a LOC and should eliminate noise very well). The only thing that makes me hesitate a little would be that I'd potentially have to go down to a 1 ohm load sub to get the maximum (500W RMS @1 ohm) out of the sub channel which is only 300W RMS at 2 ohms http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1KX...08#details-tab

I really ought to be doing a lot more reading than I am these days, so I appreciate everyone who is contributing their knowledge and guidance... right now I know enough to be dangerous, but way less than I'd like to be totally comfortable with certain choices. I know that eventually I'll get to a better place with it, I always do, but when you hit a certain point with 12V audio it seems like you're opening Pandora's box and suddenly it becomes very precise and technical, and the learning curve becomes very steep. It always helps to have input, even if it's just a sanity check or a nudge in the right direction.

To everyone who's contributing, thank you.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Sounds like you have enough reasons to change course. The RF amp looks solid and you'll want to drop the impedance low to get the full 500 Wrms out of it.

Sounds like:
Alpine Type-R LINK
Incriminator Lethal Injection LINK
Sundown SA-10 LINK
Skar - VVX LINK
Rockford Fosgate Power - LINK
RE SEX - LINK

Once you get over 200 Wrms or so, it's going to be overwhelming... but all of these have solid tech and will go low.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
WolfSongX

Garage
I may have waited too long... looks like nobody has the Rockfort Fosgate P1000X5 amp in stock. I guess I'll wait a few days and then maybe re-evaluate my plans. I was hoping to buy one today but maybe someone will get them back in stock, though Crutchfield's showing a month to get

Another amp that's caught my eye is the JL Audio XD700/5 it has the balanced differential inputs as well, and the 4 channel section seems to be all the power I'd need.http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XD70....html?tp=35808. It would mean going back to a 2 ohm setup for the sub, but would 300W RMS be good enough to run the JL Audio 10W3v3-2 driver?

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
WolfSongX

Garage
Well... there's a good reason why there hasn't been an update on picking up an amp and a driver... and I still haven't done it yet. Having my amp of choice be unavailable from a trustworthy source when I was ready to buy was the prime reason, but there is more to it than that.

It's mostly due to the fact that I spent the other weekend running the infield section of the F1 track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the Miles Ahead Performance Driving School with my father as my birthday present. Yep... my 70 year old father and myself were flinging a JCW Mini Cooper into corners and hitting 100mph+ in the straights directed by the very lovely Pippa Mann herself. I had a blast, and it reawakened my urge to drive at the utter limit on a closed course... something that I'd put aside to be a responsible family man years ago.

The wife has indicated that she would prefer me to find a closed course to "express myself fully behind the wheel" so that I'll slow down a little on the street. And I know that I will find myself in trouble if I don't find a better place to express myself. So the money I had for the amp is potentially "diverted" so I can buy myself a SA2010 helmet for doing track days. However it looks like I've probably got a month and a half to come up with one so that might let me explore a cheaper option as far as the amp and driver go.

Overall I'm not changing my plans, I actually don't intend to regularly track this car, and certainly don't have plans to modify it for racing. It's still my daily driver, so the reasoning behind my audio upgrades is still intact. I'm thinking that I'll find a cheap sports car (like maybe an old Miata) that I can modify as a dedicated track car and leave my daily driver comfortable.

So I may be modifying my plans a little more to fit into the new scheme of things... which will take a bunch of research to find the best way to spend my diminished budget.

Considering that my current drivers (Alpine Type X REF 6.75 SPX17REF component set ) are what are dictating the power needs for my amp and pushing the $500 range, I may actually decide to go with something cheaper that can sound good only getting 50W RMS to it and not needing to push as much power to it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the technical specs for the drivers themselves on what they need power-wise, everything I've read is assuming that I'm using them passively with the factory crossovers and I haven't found anything that tells me how much power I need to feed to the mid bass or the tweeters when running active. I know that a lot of power would've been converted to heat in the crossovers, so do they actually need 75-100+ Watts RMS thrown at them in an active setup? Unfortunately, the crossovers are broken... and I'm not sure I have all the pieces to fix them even if I thought I could, so I'm basically stuck going active, or ditching them and getting something new. I'd love to just sell them but without the crossovers they're probably not worth that much by themselves.

Hopefully some of you more technical types might help me find some answers... if anyone has any input, it's greatly appreciated.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #26
ft_sjo
Banned

I wouldn't throw anything less than 100W RMS into a pair of 6.5" woofers. Tweeters probably 50W. You don't have to run the amps flat out, but free of distortion is always good.

Something like a JL 450/4 is a good choice for a 2-way active front end. You can pick them up pretty cheap used. Not a tiny amp, though.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
WolfSongX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
I wouldn't throw anything less than 100W RMS into a pair of 6.5" woofers. Tweeters probably 50W. You don't have to run the amps flat out, but free of distortion is always good.

Something like a JL 450/4 is a good choice for a 2-way active front end. You can pick them up pretty cheap used. Not a tiny amp, though.
Thanks, this is definitely the type of feedback that I need to hear. Sometimes there is such a vast amount of information out there and it's almost impossible to get it filtered into simple terms.

I do have an Alpine PDX-4.100 sitting around that I originally purchased to power these speakers back when I had a separate amp setup for my sub. My chief worry about running two separate amps (one for the drivers and a separate for the sub) is the amperage draw through my 4 gauge system... I would've run 0 gauge to my distribution block if I was planning to go with a multiple amp setup... in hindsight, that would've been the better route to go, but required a bigger outlay for the wiring supplies and more expensive fuse and distribution blocks. That's mostly why I've been focusing on trying to find a 5 channel amp that will suit my needs.

Maybe I just need to look at finding a sub amp that will either work with my existing wiring... or upgrade my wiring to safely handle two amps.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
http://www.zukiaudio.net/ look at the eleets 5 channel or the Class D 5 channel. These are awesome SQ amps here!
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote