follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #1261
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.whiskers View Post
Shouldn't you be able to fix that rim? I'd ask a tire shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
definitely looks repairable
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
If it's still holding air I wouldn't worry about it. That very outer lip isn't the actual bead that seals the tire to the wheel.
Thanks, guys! It does still hold air but it bugs me, so I found a local rim repair shop. They quoted me $150 to pick it up and bring it back fixed. I am having them pick it up Tuesday, and I should have it back Wednesday.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #1262
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Put on a 15mm first gen rear sway bar with OEM 14mm bushings(just like stock). Still raining here so no real testing for a few days.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (02-13-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #1263
DriveDriftDogfight86

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT; '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhnii View Post
Black TRD Duckbill to match also
Is that actually a TRD part? I thought it was just the standard spoiler on GR86 Premium
Old 02-09-2023, 03:38 PM   #1264
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveDriftDogfight86 View Post
Is that actually a TRD part? I thought it was just the standard spoiler on GR86 Premium
You are correct.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:27 PM   #1265
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Put in a KillerB delrin shift knob. Matches the interior pretty nicely for the price. Very functional and simple look. The delrin material is nice, doesn’t get too hot or cold. I don’t love the shape of the knob (wish the lower part of the knob tapered into the reverse lockout better like the oem shape), but it works fine for an over hand shift position. In terms of performance, this knob is only 90g (vs stock 199g) and the difference is very noticeable. Every shift throw feels more positive, solid and mechanical. I was expecting more crunches or grinds, but with the synchros being new, all shifts are still nice and buttery. Lots of feedback through the shifter.

Overall it’s an impressive shift knob for the price. A lot of people go heavier with shift knobs, but lighter seems to work better for back roads and track, at least for me. I’d rather feel the shifts and with our transmissions being so good, there’s no need for heavy knobs. I’m kind of surprised Subaru/Toyota didn’t spec a lighter oem shift knob, maybe not 90g but something in between like 150g.
Attached Images

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
KillerBMotorsport (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #1266
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
A lot of people go heavier with shift knobs, but lighter seems to work better for back roads and track, at least for me. I’d rather feel the shifts and with our transmissions being so good, there’s no need for heavy knobs. I’m kind of surprised Subaru/Toyota didn’t spec a lighter oem shift knob, maybe not 90g but something in between like 150g.
Yep, heavier knobs just help you crash through synchros.
KillerBMotorsport (02-20-2023), Yoshoobaroo (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 12:35 AM   #1267
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yep, heavier knobs just help you crash through synchros.
Exactly! With the lighter knob it’s easier to tell when the synchros are ready vs just smashing through them.

I ordered a few more shift knobs from Japan. One is a 108g delrin/aluminum combination knob that tapers to the reverse lockout better than the Killer B. The other is a 150g aluminum one. Should be interesting trying them out.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
KillerBMotorsport (02-20-2023), OkieSnuffBox (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #1268
Aroundomaha

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Added CAN Bus Harness & Disconnected ...

I added the Ansix Auto CAN Adapter to get data into my SoloStorm app for the 2023 autocross season.

Now I just have to figure out how to get this talking to SoloStorm.
Aroundomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #1269
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundomaha View Post
I added the Ansix Auto CAN Adapter to get data into my SoloStorm app for the 2023 autocross season.

Now I just have to figure out how to get this talking to SoloStorm.

RaceCapture. Otherwise you get no extra data on that port that you wouldn't get from the regular old OBD2 port
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:02 AM   #1270
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Put in a KillerB delrin shift knob. Matches the interior pretty nicely for the price. Very functional and simple look. The delrin material is nice, doesn’t get too hot or cold. I don’t love the shape of the knob (wish the lower part of the knob tapered into the reverse lockout better like the oem shape), but it works fine for an over hand shift position. In terms of performance, this knob is only 90g (vs stock 199g) and the difference is very noticeable. Every shift throw feels more positive, solid and mechanical. I was expecting more crunches or grinds, but with the synchros being new, all shifts are still nice and buttery. Lots of feedback through the shifter.

Overall it’s an impressive shift knob for the price. A lot of people go heavier with shift knobs, but lighter seems to work better for back roads and track, at least for me. I’d rather feel the shifts and with our transmissions being so good, there’s no need for heavy knobs. I’m kind of surprised Subaru/Toyota didn’t spec a lighter oem shift knob, maybe not 90g but something in between like 150g.
Thanks so much for the feedback and your support!!

This was a product born from motorsports. Light and simple provides best tactile feedback. Oddly enough, we don't sell many even though the price is only $39. The STi enthusiasts have bought them up for well over 10 years, but we're finding the BRZ crowd prefers heavy large knobs, and that just does not fit our performance-oriented focus. In short, they may not be around for long.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #1271
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post

This was a product born from motorsports. Light and simple provides best tactile feedback. Oddly enough, we don't sell many even though the price is only $39. The STi enthusiasts have bought them up for well over 10 years, but we're finding the BRZ crowd prefers heavy large knobs, and that just does not fit our performance-oriented focus. In short, they may not be around for long.
Because they want to destroy the synchros then complain about the transmission is trash.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:02 PM   #1272
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I ordered a few more shift knobs from Japan. One is a 108g delrin/aluminum combination knob that tapers to the reverse lockout better than the Killer B. The other is a 150g aluminum one. Should be interesting trying them out.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the tapered knob. For my push/pull "grip" on the shifter, I think that shape would work better than the round knob that is better for an overhand grip. I'm not really liking the shape of the OEM knob.

Quote:

I've noticed the shift action on my BRZ is the least smooth and most "clunky" shift action of any car I've owned. Other recent manual cars (Mazda, VW, BMW) were far smoother and I could shift much faster. Was this a function of heavy OEM shift knobs, different synchros? I don't exactly want to bash my way through the synchros, but making the shift action a bit faster/smoother would be nice.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #1273
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I've noticed the shift action on my BRZ is the least smooth and most "clunky" shift action of any car I've owned. Other recent manual cars (Mazda, VW, BMW) were far smoother and I could shift much faster. Was this a function of heavy OEM shift knobs, different synchros? I don't exactly want to bash my way through the synchros, but making the shift action a bit faster/smoother would be nice.
Do you happen to drive short distances, or live in a cold climate? There is a pretty profound difference in shifting characteristics when the trans is cold vs HOT.

I think the trans is good (not great) for the car and price point. It's certainly no Tremec T6 though.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (02-22-2023), OkieSnuffBox (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:12 PM   #1274
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Do you happen to drive short distances, or live in a cold climate? There is a pretty profound difference in shifting characteristics when the trans is cold vs HOT.

I think the trans is good (not great) for the car and price point. It's certainly no Tremec T6 though.
This.

And I've found not trying to short shift at 2800 rpms helps as well. I'm not exactly going full throttle, but I typically shift around 4k and the transmission is decent for what it is.
Desertnate (02-22-2023)