follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #85
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I ride every day it is not constantly raining to work, but I refuse to buy any of the current crop of Sport or Super Sports. They are just ridiculous. There is no possible way to use even a fraction of their potential on the street. I took the same approach as I did with buying my BRZ. Light, modest power, fun back road handling. Hopefully that keeps me alive

On topic. I don't think there are any exotics I would buy in the price range in the theme of this thread. I'd rather have an older Cayman, a truck, and a trailer. Just use the rest to visit as many tracks as I could. Money no object I would buy a Vulcan just so I can listen to it.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #86
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Money no object? A P1 GTR. Trackday vacations, hired McLaren engineer, tire sponsor.

Realistic goals? A Caterham lightweight model. About 200hp.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westen86 For This Useful Post:
maslin (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #87
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
NSX.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #88
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
If you could buy a new exotic, would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
As a kid, i grew up on 2 wheels, so i love the concept of motorcycles. But i can't trust others to keep away from my big metal box the way it is.

See in my case I can’t trust myself. I am way to tempted to push the limits of the tires. I doubt I would have chicken strips on my tires if I owned a bike.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #89
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
If this was a motorcycle site there we would probably be losing one member each month from a fatal crash.
I learned early on to just give up the dream of riding a motorcycle from personally knowing 5 young people dying
and another one that almost did and that was just from falling over at 5 mph, when somebody was goofing and
jumped on, and pushing his elbow in to rupture his spleen. Almost just "slept it off" but decided to get it checked
out at the hospital and that saved his life.
A minor fender bender type accident on a bike can be a death certificate. Speaking of which is how two of the other
five I knew did die.

Learn from other's mistakes.

I used to run a motorcycle site with around 10k users for years and never lost one member to fatality (that I was aware of). Plenty had some bad crashes (myself included - crashed off a cliff), but the motorcycles = death thing is extremely exaggerated. I don't know why people who don't ride seem to always assume everyone is dieing all the time on motorcycles. In LA, statistics show you have a greater chance of dieing from walking than riding a motorcycle.

Mandatory helmet use has drastically reduced motorcycle fatalities. Alcohol and excessive speed contribute to the majority of crashes. New/inexperienced riders make up a lot of the remaining and wearing proper gear would eliminate the majority of remaining injuries. Not that there isn't in general a higher risk of injury than driving a car, but come on man.. live a little.

While I've broken bones riding motorcycles, I also broke a bone walking my dog. Life is dangerous, no reason not to enjoy it.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (06-06-2019), Dadhawk (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #90
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I've ridden since 1987. One "off" on the street around 1990, very low speed lowside, no biggie, and two at the track, one low-speed one low/medium speed, neither a big deal and in both cases I raced later the same day.

On the street, in the car or on the bike, I never approach the limits. 6 to 7/10ths in nonresidential curvy backroads is PLENTY fast. It only really gets interesting right at 10/10ths anyway and there's just no practical way to do that on the street so why bother? Being an "icy hot stunta" never appealed to me either, so saved some risk there for sure as well...

Riding, and tracking, a motorcycle is very different from driving a car. IN a car, you are operating the machine. On a bike, it's more mental/intuitive, you don't *steer* it, you just kinda will your path. Honestly it can feel more like flying. Not flying an airplane, but literally like personally flying!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #91
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I used to run a motorcycle site with around 10k users for years and never lost one member to fatality (that I was aware of). Plenty had some bad crashes (myself included - crashed off a cliff), but the motorcycles = death thing is extremely exaggerated. I don't know why people who don't ride seem to always assume everyone is dieing all the time on motorcycles. In LA, statistics show you have a greater chance of dieing from walking than riding a motorcycle.

Mandatory helmet use has drastically reduced motorcycle fatalities. Alcohol and excessive speed contribute to the majority of crashes. New/inexperienced riders make up a lot of the remaining and wearing proper gear would eliminate the majority of remaining injuries. Not that there isn't in general a higher risk of injury than driving a car, but come on man.. live a little.

While I've broken bones riding motorcycles, I also broke a bone walking my dog. Life is dangerous, no reason not to enjoy it.
Crash statistics disagree with you, strongly. Per mile driven, you're way, way more likely to die on a bike. Like 25-35 times more likely. Then there's all the injuries. I've never injured myself driving and I've had a few wipeouts. At the track, the paramedics get really antsy when the motorcyclists go out. It means they're going to have work to do. Since we've lived at our current home, there has been at least one motorcycle fatality on our street.

That said, you're right about alcohol and helmets impacting things.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #92
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
^^this^^

Most exhausting thing about riding is having to endure people's horror stories whenever the subject comes up. White water rafting, base jumping, skydiving, mountain climbing, lion taming... whatevs, man. It's all good. Take lots of pics.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #93
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,247 Times in 8,614 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
. Money no object I would buy a Vulcan just so I can listen to it.
Trust me, it's not as fun as you would think.
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-06-2019), p1l0t (06-07-2019), soundman98 (06-06-2019), Spuds (06-07-2019), Ultramaroon (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #94
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Crash statistics disagree with you, strongly. Per mile driven, you're way, way more likely to die on a bike. Like 25-35 times more likely. Then there's all the injuries. I've never injured myself driving and I've had a few wipeouts. At the track, the paramedics get really antsy when the motorcyclists go out. It means they're going to have work to do. Since we've lived at our current home, there has been at least one motorcycle fatality on our street.

That said, you're right about alcohol and helmets impacting things.

I based my statements on the statistics. Your observation of what happening on your street and your personal experience is not a statistic.

Hurt report, insurance information institute, IIHS, NHTSA were a few of the sources of my statements, but I've been studying motorcycle crash statistics for 20 years and have read thousands of statistical reports.

Here are a few samples from the NHTSA report linked below that support what I said.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812148

"In 2013, 34 percent of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding"

"In 2013, there were 4,399 motorcycle riders killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes. Of those, 1,232 (28%) were alcohol-impaired (BAC of .08 or higher). In addition, there were 305 (7%) fatally injured motorcycle riders who had lower alcohol levels (BACs of .01 to .07 g/dL)."

"In States without universal helmet laws, 59 percent of motorcyclists killed in 2013 were not wearing helmets"

I forgot where I saw the statistics on walking in LA vs motorcycles, but it was an official local government source on deaths by mode of transportation.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #95
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I've noticed many more distracted drivers since smart phones came out. I definitely think it's more dangerous now than it was 20 years ago.
Roger that ….

Break one nine for a radio check

sssssssssssssssss

Wait one while I tune in this sucker.....

@#$^**&^%#$$%^&&

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
shiumai (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #96
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
See in my case I can’t trust myself. I am way to tempted to push the limits of the tires. I doubt I would have chicken strips on my tires if I owned a bike.
important to note that if i were to buy a bike, i will never buy a larger bike than a honda grom, for exactly that reason.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #97
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
As a kid, i grew up on 2 wheels, so i love the concept of motorcycles. But i can't trust others to keep away from my big metal box the way it is.
I hear that. At an early age, while riding on motorized two wheeled things, I learned several things, never run into anything larger than you are; don't go fast down gravel roads and, if you fall off, don't land on your head, since we didn't wear helmets -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #98
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
... and, if you fall off, don't land on your head, since we didn't wear helmets -

humfrz

yeah, that's just generally a good rule. helmets just keep some of the rocks out of your hair, they don't stop the hurt.
humfrz (06-06-2019)