follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #155
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
You want to find out where the IAM is dropping to locate the problem areas. If you're running different AVCS maps its likely the timing maps will need to be different.

Using vgi's tool with a couple of added columns and formulas its easy to diagnose what the cause is.
@Kodename47, I'm sure it's easy once it's setup and familiar. The problem is, in your knock correction post, the instructions are too condensed for me to figure out, and aren't written with OFT terms, so they have to be first understood, then translated into OFT terms. So, I haven't figured it out yet.

@Wayno, I've copied the only late stage v68 91 Octane table I could find in your files, from a UEL 91 Octane B01D ROM, only to find, on comparison, it's identical to the stage 2 OFT OTS timing maps. I wanted to copy your 98 RON timing map specifically because you went to so much work to optimize it. I have copied the OFT OTS stage 2 91 Octane map to my current tune to try it out, but I think I'm going to get knock. Here's a pic, (WW 3.6), of just how much more advanced that is versus the flattened base timing B map I'm running now. This is a comparison in RR of the OTS OFT stage 2 EL 91 Octane, versus your v33 flattened 91 Octane from awhile ago when you first started on adjusting your timing tables. the second pic, (NI 3.3), is your 98 RON map versus OFT's OTS stage 2 91 Octane map. As you can see, you've only pulled a little bit of timing from just a few places. I'll actually have more knock with the OFT OTS stage 2 91 Octane map,then I had with your 98 RON map. I must be getting a lot more compression with the AVCS changes I've made, which means, I've found the sweet spot where velocity meets valve timing to pack the most charge into the cylinders. Yeah!
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 07-15-2015 at 12:29 PM.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #156
demonracer200d

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will the stage 2 uel 98Ron run with my AT running 93 octane here in the US? Sorry not to familiar with any of this.
demonracer200d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #157
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@KoolBRZ: Updated Knock Compensation Tool

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
KoolBRZ (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #158
KoolBRZ

Garage
Thank you for the attempt. Still not user friendly. I can't even paste the Base timing B map from RR into the table without it getting screwed up. I had to first paste into blank spreadsheet, then copy and paste the cell contents. "Using VGI's tool". Is that some other spreadsheet? Because there isn't any "log stats" tab at the bottom of this one. I could manually edit cells one at a time with less effort. This is still way to complicated for something designed to just pull timing from the cells that cause knock. All I'm asking for is a simple spreadsheet to paste my base timing table into, then paste my logs into, click go, copy the new table into RR and call it good. @Wayno, is this what you used to figure out your base timing?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #159
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
I didn't use any tools. As I said previously I analysed the total timing and smoothed out any lumps around where knock occurs. Cells where timing reduced are not necessarily where the knock occurs. I'm not familiar with the tools but I wouldn't expect them to be able to do this.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #160
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I didn't use any tools. As I said previously I analysed the total timing and smoothed out any lumps around where knock occurs. Cells where timing reduced are not necessarily where the knock occurs. I'm not familiar with the tools but I wouldn't expect them to be able to do this.
I've used the timing from your latest 98 RON tune to add back into my v33 map. I figure it wasn't knocking below .3 load, so I started by pasting the first three columns in with RomRaider. Then I made tunes 0-.4, 0-.5, 0-.6, 0-.7 and etc. all the way up to 0-1.4, which has every column, so it would be identical. I've tried out tunes all the way up to .7 load so far without reducing my IAM, so I'm going to keep loading tunes till I get enough knock to pull IAM, then I'm going to log and analyse where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure it happened between .8 and 1.2 engine load, so I'm probably going to be logging knock tomorrow. @Wayno, when you talk about lumps in the map, you're talking about the 3d view right?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:30 AM   #161
chickencornsoup

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Wayno

Can I use your Stg2 UEL 98 v76 A01G.bin map to my manual 86 using home blend (+10% E85) fuel?

Thank you for all the good work Wayno, Steve99, Ztan
chickencornsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 AM   #162
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencornsoup View Post
Hi Wayno

Can I use your Stg2 UEL 98 v76 A01G.bin map to my manual 86 using home blend (+10% E85) fuel?

Thank you for all the good work Wayno, Steve99, Ztan
Yes
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
chickencornsoup (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #163
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Thank you for the attempt. Still not user friendly. I can't even paste the Base timing B map from RR into the table without it getting screwed up. I had to first paste into blank spreadsheet, then copy and paste the cell contents. "Using VGI's tool". Is that some other spreadsheet? Because there isn't any "log stats" tab at the bottom of this one. I could manually edit cells one at a time with less effort. This is still way to complicated for something designed to just pull timing from the cells that cause knock. All I'm asking for is a simple spreadsheet to paste my base timing table into, then paste my logs into, click go, copy the new table into RR and call it good. @Wayno, is this what you used to figure out your base timing?
VGI's tool, you know, the one you use to scale MAFs with: Linky

You probably have the copy/paste in Romraider set to default. To set to a more normal paste format:
Edit > Romraider Settings > Clipboard > Airboys Spreadsheet

To just paste in a log will be a relatively hard thing to do without the spreadsheet size being massive. I can use this from log to result in a couple of minutes, I like the visibility of using VGIs tool. You can't just adjust for all cells that are showing any retard as that's not necessarily the way the ECU works. The other nice thing about using VGI's utility is that you can then also set up further filters, like removing data from high gears.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #164
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Man... I've only been MIA for a little bit and you guys making crazy progress. Good shit guys!
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #165
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Okay, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask for extremely basic help with this. Keeping in mind that I have successfully altered and flashed Shiv's tunes before, I have no clue what to do with these files. I've downloaded and extracted them, I've got RomRaider open, but I have no clue how to either open these so I can preview them or how to convert them to something I can flash to a stage one U.S. petrol automatic.
I'm pretty sure I have RR pointing to the right definition, but nothing I do will open an actual tune for review. I keep getting errors that the definition was not found or there is a mismatch.
There must be instructions somewhere, but I'm so frustrated with myself right now that I can't think straight to mount a decent search for them.
If someone could please point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #166
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Okay, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask for extremely basic help with this. Keeping in mind that I have successfully altered and flashed Shiv's tunes before, I have no clue what to do with these files. I've downloaded and extracted them, I've got RomRaider open, but I have no clue how to either open these so I can preview them or how to convert them to something I can flash to a stage one U.S. petrol automatic.
I'm pretty sure I have RR pointing to the right definition, but nothing I do will open an actual tune for review. I keep getting errors that the definition was not found or there is a mismatch.
There must be instructions somewhere, but I'm so frustrated with myself right now that I can't think straight to mount a decent search for them.
If someone could please point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
First tell me the last four digits of the CAL ID for your car in OpenFlash Manager, so I can help you. Then check the CAL ID of the definition file in RR. If you have a D00D ID the definition file is missing from OFT's latest download, so you'll have to get it from shiv, or from wayno's downloads.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #167
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
First tell me the last four digits of the CAL ID for your car in OpenFlash Manager, so I can help you. Then check the CAL ID of the definition file in RR. If you have a D00D ID the definition file is missing from OFT's latest download, so you'll have to get it from shiv, or from wayno's downloads.
Right now I have Shiv's current tune open in RomRaider.
I can't figure out how to open Wayno's. Are they complete tunes or just tables that need to be created and pasted into an existing tune?
My car uses "A01D" files.

Edit: I found RR_ZA1JA01D.xml in Wayno's downloads, which looks like the definition I should be using. The only stage 1 definition I can find is "Stg1 98 v78 A01I.bin", which doesn't look right to me and won't open anyway.
I really want to try these improvements for the A/T vehicles and don't mind editing the values into Shiv's tune, but I can't even get Wayno's to open so I can copy them.

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 07-17-2015 at 03:14 PM.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #168
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Right now I have Shiv's current tune open in RomRaider.
I can't figure out how to open Wayno's. Are they complete tunes or just tables that need to be created and pasted into an existing tune?
My car uses "A01D" files.

Edit: I found RR_ZA1JA01D.xml in Wayno's downloads, which looks like the definition I should be using. The only stage 1 definition I can find is "Stg1 98 v78 A01I.bin", which doesn't look right to me and won't open anyway.
I really want to try these improvements for the A/T vehicles and don't mind editing the values into Shiv's tune, but I can't even get Wayno's to open so I can copy them.
Wayno's ROM's are A01I so you will need an A01I definition to open his ROM

Than you will need your A01D ROM and an A01D def to open that

Open both ROM's in Romraider and copy/paste the changes from wayno A01I into your ROM the A01D

You will likely find that the OFT A01D defs are not as up to date as the A01I defs wayno is using so your probably going to be missing a few tables.

Check your work

flash to car.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
mid_life_crisis (07-22-2015)