follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2023, 09:15 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
How does that effect flex-fuel tunes? They still make great power with all the factory exhaust emission devices.
With FF you need to hijack a table so you can scale the sensor input, otherwise the ECU doesn't have a way to correlate the information. This is usually done on the rear 02 sensor compensation table or the evap on our cars. So you are defeating a factory emission device.
PulsarBeeerz (03-28-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:33 AM   #16
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
How do you know they will force all those features and tables out even for Euro calibration? they are talking about USDM tunes

So.. upgrade to euro tune as I did to many guys in here, problem solved
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-29-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:35 AM   #17
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
How would that work if you were boosted?
what you mean exactly? when i tune american guys, i SPECIALLY upgrade them to euro tunes when they are boosted, since Racerom in euro tunes is more stable.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 04:38 AM   #18
tomm.brz

So ive emailed ecutek

Chris Todd (EcuTek)
29 Mar 2023, 09:35 BST
Hi Tommaso,

Euro ROM's will not be affected by these changes.
Chris Todd
EcuTek Technologies Ltd.
8 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge, UB8 2FR
England
(+44) 1895 811200

so problem is just with USDM tunes, who are already problematic by themselves..
Upgrade to Euro tune and you bypass this
Old 03-29-2023, 06:15 AM   #19
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
@tomm.brz

You seem to be focusing your attention only on the calibration files themselves. We can all flash any calibration that we want whether it be an EU, JDM, USDM, AUS, etc. It's the software suite that will be changing and preventing us from making the necessary changes to those calibration files. The Pro ECU software suite is a tool with several different features used to adjust and flash these files.

The way I understand it, in order for ECUTEK to move forward, they will be requiring US Master Tuners, and home tuners to update their Pro ECU software to the newest versions that remove the necessary features used to adjust those calibration files. See here:

Name:  Screenshot_20230329-043002~2.png
Views: 989
Size:  171.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230329-043029~2.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  238.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230329-043024~3.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230329-043014~3.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  429.5 KB

Think of it this way using this fictional story:

You purchase a wire stripping tool originally designed to not only cut wire, but to strip 22 gauge wire up to 6 gauge wire, and it's the greatest stripping tool that you've ever purchased. It's well made, it's heavy duty, it never gets dull and strips every wire every time perfectly. You love it, cherish it, never allow it to get wet or to rust. You love it so much that you never allow anyone else to borrow or even touch it.

Now the company that originally sold this wire stripping tool to you was involved in a lawsuit because the tool they manufactured was used by some fool who decided to use it to strip all of the ends of the fingers off from his left hand, and some equally foolish jury decided that it was the manufacturers fault and they were forced to pay the man, who injured himself using their tool, 50 million dollars in damages.

So the tool manufacturer now decides to recall your favorite wire stripping tool due to "design flaws that allow it to be misused for it's intended purposes" and makes a design change that eliminates the cutting feature and the 16 gauge through 6 gauge stripping features, while making the 22 gauge through 14 gauge stripping features less sharp, essentially neutering the tool down to a cheap useless piece of junk that you could purchase out of any Tractor Supply [insert any Italian equivalent hardware store here] bargain bin.

Now let's make a few substitutions in this fictional story:

Original Stripping Tool = Pro ECU software suite

22 to 6 Gauge Wires = Calibration files

Tool Manufacturer = ECUTEK

Fool = Fart Cannon Popcorn Tuners

Foolish Jury = EPA, CARB

Redesigned Stripping Tool = Newest Version of Pro ECU software suite

I'll allow you to fill in the rest and hope that you see my point here.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:21 AM   #20
tomm.brz

it is written in BOLD that ONLY USDM TUNES ARE AFFECTED

so,... uograde to EURo tune, it s as easy as write 4 specific letters vefore the name of the file

where is the problem?? i see none!
they won y restric any table if you open a euro tune, only id you open a usdm tune. it s crearly bold written

if you need inspection done, if you are na you bring it to simil stock and flash a stock usdm tune. Emission passed
If you re FI, are you thinking you can pass emission? only way is to put car to stock or in eligible States, if you put a carb tune.. here can be a problem but i guess only in california? either way seems possible anyway to do carb tunes by their writing so still not a huge deal...
Old 03-29-2023, 06:49 AM   #21
tomm.brz

Many tuners outside this forum don t even know that you d only need 4 tunes to tune all gt86 in the world
A02G is compatible with all prerestyling Manual
K00G with all restyling Manual
A02I with all Prerestyling Auto
K01I with all restyling Auto

(we must thank Steve99 for all this knowledgment, whom the admins thanked by banning him forever )
if they then would ask for support to ecutek, they would discover that renaming the tune file in a certain way, you can force flash ANYTHING to the ecu (literally anything, so can be dangerous if misused) so you can upgrade any existing car to Euro tune

after their update talked about in this thread, you will always be able to open every table in euro tunes exactly like now, therefore it is totally bypassable easily and this whole thread is an exageration to me
DocWalt (03-29-2023), Trap63 (02-16-2024)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:50 AM   #22
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Cobb has FF working without hijacking a sensor input/table

We'll be fine. Please stop with the doom & gloom.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Fred E (05-09-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #23
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post

Oh nice how do they do it? Are there extra unused inputs or something? Or somehow multiplex it?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #24
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
Oh nice how do they do it? Are there extra unused inputs or something? Or somehow multiplex it?

They announced it last week, I didn't look into it tbh.

but as mentioned a bunch here already, this only affects USDM calibrations which is *super* easy to bypass. It never once says US based tuners will be affected by this...
Breadman (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #25
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post

I see that according to your build thread that you aren't running ethanol, nor FI, so I can understand how this really wouldn't concern you at the moment, but I'm running both, and my tune is 100% MAF based, so I am perfectly within my right to bring this up as a concern.

Cobb isn't using ECUTEK, they use their own proprietary software, Accessport, a completely different tool with slightly different features to do the job. And they don't specialize in this platform because they wanted to focus only on FI Subarus from factory and basically let all of the other existing tuning platforms run this roost. I don't plan on switching over to Cobb Accessport at this point especially now that they are being targeted as well by the EPA and holding off on support for flex fuel tuning, according to complaints I've read.

Here's what I've read on this particular subject:
https://www.cobbtuning.com/green-speed-updates-faqs/

Now if ECUTEK could integrate a feature that would allow us to connect a flex fuel ethanol content sensor to our ECU without hijacking the O2 or CPC sensor, and allow us to tune using the MAF for its original intended purpose, then the problem would not be as bad as it appears it will be.

I'm curious if you know the details in how Cobb interfaces with the ethanol content sensor. Could you please explain here?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.

Last edited by FR-S2GT86; 03-29-2023 at 10:42 AM.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 10:52 AM   #26
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I see that according to your build thread that you aren't running ethanol, nor FI, so I can understand how this really wouldn't concern you at the moment, but I'm running both, and my tune is 100% MAF based, so I am perfectly within my right to bring this up as a concern.

Cobb isn't using ECUTEK, they use their own proprietary software, Accessport, a completely different tool with slightly different features to do the job. And they don't specialize in this platform because they wanted to focus only on FI Subarus from factory and basically let all of the other existing tuning platforms run this roost. I don't plan on switching over to Cobb Accessport at this point especially now that they are being targeted as well by the EPA and holding off on support for flex fuel tuning, according to complaints I've read.

Now if ECUTEK could integrate a feature that would allow us to connect a flex fuel ethanol content sensor to our ECU without hijacking the O2 or CPC sensor, and allow us to tune using the MAF for its original intended purpose, then the problem would not be as bad as it appears it will be.

I'm curious if you know the details in how Cobb interfaces with the ethanol content sensor. Could you please explain here?

My build thread car is *long* gone... Just never got around to making new threads. I've been at this game a LONG time across many platforms, I'm very familiar with what can and can't be done. So don't make assumptions... and don't assume I was saying you're not within your rights to bring this up

Cobb is owned by the same parent company as EcuTEK. Cobb has posted many teasers on social media about Flex Fuel coming back...

What does MAF based tuning have to do with anything anyway? MAF scaling won't magically go away, will it?

All of that said, just run a worldwide ROM like everyone is telling you to do. If your tuner won't do that, it's on them. It doesn't matter if you have a USDM car, I had a worldwide ROM on my first gen.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:08 AM   #27
DocWalt

Around 16:30 in the video for updates from Cobb on the next gen Flex Fuel stuff, IIRC.

Edit: watched again, Cobb will be offering FlexFuel upgrade as a new wiring harness and module. So it's likely just reading CAN... Which RaceRom can already do, since it's reading CAN to read the cruise control stalk.

Last edited by DocWalt; 03-29-2023 at 11:22 AM.
NoHaveMSG (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 11:14 AM   #28
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post

it won't affect you if you switch to euro tune, as explained, and as confirmed by Ecutek

I don t want to be annoying, but it seems you like to read and misinterpret things and then act like it s an apocalypse..
even in that link you posted, nowhere is written that Cobb will release a "magic" flex fuel kit that will give to the ecu the % of ethanol bypassing the available inputs that the gt86 has.

they wrote that: " Q: CAN I STILL GET A CUSTOM TUNE FROM MY PROTUNER OR HAVE MY CURRENT TUNE ALTERED?
A: Custom tuning is still available. You can also still have an existing custom tune altered. However, if an existing tune included any of the features that we have identified as potentially negatively impacting your vehicle’s emissions system (Ex: Subaru analog Flex Fuel, or GT-R Speed Density tuning), those features will no longer be present or available in the new software. Additionally, if an existing tune adjusted any emissions related DTCs, these adjustments will no longer be available in the new software.

NOTE – Although analog Flex Fuel is not currently supported, your tuner can still create maps that work with varying amounts/concentrations (E-85 or E-60, etc.) of ethanol. Instead of it automatically adjusting to different ethanol concentrations, you would need to switch between different maps based on the blend of your fuel. We plan to release a CARB compliant Flex Fuel system that automatically adjusts to varying ethanol content in the future."

It means, no you can t use flex fuel kits with Cobb anymore and you have to set MANUAL FIXED ethanol percentage and you have to manually mix your own fuel to match the % written in ECU.
It is pretty obvious that if you can't use any on the 3 inputs available to us (maf input, o2 sensor#2 input, CPC input) there is NO WAY you could tell the ecu what %ethanol is in your tank. Unless of some particular device that needs to be inserted all the time to the OBD port and hijack one of those input. No one is going to create a new input out of nowhere anymore

If you truly believe all these updated are going to destroy the tuning with our beloved car... Be pessimistic.

For all the other people in this forum: 99% of users who has the car tuned has either ecutek or OFT. Have no fear and just ask to be upgraded to Euro tune.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-29-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-29-2023), Trap63 (02-16-2024)