follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HPDS in DFW

Hi guys,

I've been looking around the forums for a while now and a lot of people suggest going to some sort of high performance driving schools for those who want to track their cars. Many suggest to take some sort of advanced driving class instead of getting upgrades for the car. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions or preferred schools to attend in DFW? I did some googling and found Driver's Edge and Apex Driving Academy.

My goal is to get better at driving and learn the car's capabilities (near or) at limit. Not sure if just attending track days is all I would need, but that's why I'm asking here!

Thanks
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have done the Driver's Edge program once. I really enjoyed it and wanted to go back but the budget is just not there. They run at Motor Sports Ranch South down 377 from Fort Worth. Rick runs the program and is a good guy. I definitely recommend.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I am in same boat as you. Want to learn and unsure of where the best place to go is, looking for recommendations.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The Drivers Edge program is two days with 8 total track sessions with classroom sessions before and after. They discuss pretty much everything you do on the track, how to enter/apex/exit a corner, reading the flags for the track conditions ahead of you, passing on the track, how to handle going off track or spinning out or avoiding another driver doing one of these and pretty much everything on how to "go fast" on the track. I went in thinking I was pretty good and left feeling like a true novice.

My instructor had a spec miata and I went out with him driving my car and again in his car to see the differences in speed and was blown away. Corners I took at 50, he took at 70 in my car and 90 in his. Quite the eye opening experience.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5hairpins For This Useful Post:
idario (09-19-2013), Ramster (09-19-2013), tennisfreak (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
That's awesome. I will have to definitely check it out then. I've been interesting in tracking for a good while now, so Driver's Edge sounds like it's a good place to start.

Thanks for the info.
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
idario

Drives: WRB WRX stink eye
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I am definitely going to check this out.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Ive been interested in all this as well and there is a track day that is at the same track that Drivers Edge is. The link to the thread is here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46535

I'm hopefully going to be going to this as it will be a nice option to at least get a little experience at the track.

If you read in there for Novice drivers they will be sending someone out with you so partly instructional as well I would assume.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
boricua FR-S

Drives: Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I did the Apex class at Motorsport Ranch at Cresson and it was amazing. I had an MR2 back then (broke the #4 piston rod and then didnt have the car for 16 months) and it was a great experience. I learned a lot and I ran in the novice class with an instructor all day. about 6 20 min track sessions i think. it was a blast, even better if you can go with a group.
boricua FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Apex driving academy at Motorsport ranch Cresson TX, south of ft worth. I think they do drivers edge at TMS too. If you go to Apex you can get your racing licensee and join a local club: Mazda, Porsche, and BMW/Audi.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My first HPDE was Driver's Edge, and it was an eye opening experience. After 2 days, I was worn out. It was a bit difficult to keep concentration on the 2nd afternoon. Finished my 04 STi's break-in period as I hit the stop sign on the way out the track. Learned a ton about the car, and even more about me as a driver.

Later, a friend of mine started up Apex, and there were several knowledgeable Subaru folks that work those events. I may be a little biased, just because I know the people better, but I prefer the single day HPDE.

You can't go wrong with either.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote