follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #85
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The piece on top is bolted to the runners. Its functional, or mostly from what we can see so far. I'm guessing/hoping it holds an intercooler core. Why they decided on that shape still escapes me, but if it works and looks pretty I'm fine with that.
You'd be correct:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8texoWIvU"]Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger - YouTube[/ame]
Calum (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #86
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
You'd be correct:

If the unit for twins is as complete as the one described in the video for mustangs, this would be so simple to install...that however probably means $$$ and not as much power as others.
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #87
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In the video they claim their supercharger can make the same power as others (for the Mustang anyway) with less boost.

Without the tuner, it's around $7k for LS2's model.

You're right that this thing won't be anywhere approaching inexpensive.
Calum (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #88
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Question

After seeing the posted pics on E-Force's Supercharger system and looking at Cosworth system as well (intake and throttle body on rear side) I'm curious if I could slap one of these SC's on my built Full Blown engine with my current Full Blown turbo kit...

The other question would be if this would be efficient and would mostly help with low gain up to 4K rpm before the turbo starts pushing the remaining PSI. I'm also curious if these SC designs would hold the turbo back, e.g. intake manifold too small or constricted?

The Cosworth doesn't use an intercooler but uses a air/water cooler so piping would be easier. Modifying the intake route could make this work. The E-Force intake is right in front which would make modifying a lot easier. However, I don't know what the whole kit entails for cooling and where the additional components will need to be placed.

I honestly think this could look pretty cool BUT may just be a retarded idea LMAO. Any input from the supercharger side of the house? I'm more knowledgeable on turbos and their setup. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #89
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Twin-charging is usually more for show than go. If you want more low-end grunt, get a smaller turbo. If you want more-linear, predictable power, get a super-charger.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #90
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Twin charging is for show, yes.

If you want more torque and power, you get a twin turbo setup in a seqential series.

A small turbo that spools very quickly like a TD04 billet, or a BW 6258. Then have that feed into the larger turbo like a GT30R or if youre ballsy a GT35R Or larger.

Then comes the awesome fun of tuning that pile of wheels and sheet metal.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #91
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
The Cosworth doesn't use an intercooler but uses a air/water cooler
That's an air to water intercooler. The result is exactly the same.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (04-06-2015), shiro (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #92
shiro

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Twin-charging is usually more for show than go. If you want more low-end grunt, get a smaller turbo. If you want more-linear, predictable power, get a super-charger.
True on the smaller turbo. The Garrett GTX2867R is a perfect balance IMO. Though, that would be pretty sick looking for a Twin-charged system. The supercharger might bring more stability to the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Twin charging is for show, yes.

If you want more torque and power, you get a twin turbo setup in a seqential series.

A small turbo that spools very quickly like a TD04 billet, or a BW 6258. Then have that feed into the larger turbo like a GT30R or if youre ballsy a GT35R Or larger.

Then comes the awesome fun of tuning that pile of wheels and sheet metal.
Yeah, the GT30R would be pretty cool to have but as for a twin-turbo on the FA20...you are right, that would be a pain in the a$$ to tune/maintain. Maybe I'll consider the "show" option until I get bored and decided to build the heads on my engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That's an air to water intercooler. The result is exactly the same.
After I typed that I just realized that lmao. It's just liquid cooled through the radiator(s).
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 AM   #93
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Enmo racing had an awesome twin-charged D16 Civic. It won a bit of time attack. Not sure what they're up to now. Probably got real jobs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAt3Y4PAW6M"]Enmo Racing Twincharged Civic - YouTube[/ame]
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
BatStig (04-28-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #94
shiro

Garage
I'd like to call Edelbrock today and see what they might do for me to do an install of their product on my current setup when it comes out. I now have the itch to put this twin-charge setup in motion. Though, I will talk with LJ at Full Blown first since a year or two down the road I want my heads built. I have an spare motor on a stand in the back of the garage I'd like to use the heads off of.

So much for doing modifications to the IS 350 :P

EDIT: So I talked with Edelbrock today and the supercharger tech wasn't in until later but it sounds like I might not be able to get more information on this supercharger yet. Also, from what one of the other technicians said, all Edelbrock systems must use their own tune and that other shops are unable to tune it. I'd be curious to learn more about the FA20 supercharger from them. Maybe it will be different than their past superchargers. Only time will tell to see how true this information is.

Cosworth might be the way to go for a supercharger at the moment. They have two large internal intercooler tanks that utilizes air/water cooling. It's still the Sprintex supercharger but the cooling setup might be more efficient. Though, I'd have to look into this

Last edited by shiro; 03-26-2015 at 11:11 AM.
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #95
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
No, cosworth does not use sprintex chargers.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #96
yonson

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
I'd like to call Edelbrock today and see what they might do for me to do an install of their product on my current setup when it comes out. I now have the itch to put this twin-charge setup in motion. Though, I will talk with LJ at Full Blown first since a year or two down the road I want my heads built. I have an spare motor on a stand in the back of the garage I'd like to use the heads off of.

So much for doing modifications to the IS 350 :P

EDIT: So I talked with Edelbrock today and the supercharger tech wasn't in until later but it sounds like I might not be able to get more information on this supercharger yet. Also, from what one of the other technicians said, all Edelbrock systems must use their own tune and that other shops are unable to tune it. I'd be curious to learn more about the FA20 supercharger from them. Maybe it will be different than their past superchargers. Only time will tell to see how true this information is.

Cosworth might be the way to go for a supercharger at the moment. They have two large internal intercooler tanks that utilizes air/water cooling. It's still the Sprintex supercharger but the cooling setup might be more efficient. Though, I'd have to look into this
Other than for EO'd applications, this definitely won't be the case. Edelbrock has always offered tuner kits for situations like this...
yonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #97
shiro

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Other than for EO'd applications, this definitely won't be the case. Edelbrock has always offered tuner kits for situations like this...
That's exactly what I thought. It comes down to a piece of equipment. If someone is knowledgeable on it then they can use it in their own application.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #98
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Twincharged with Sprintex supercharger
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=twincharged

https://www.facebook.com/streetfx86/...type=1&theatre
Attached Images

Last edited by keen as; 03-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (04-06-2015)

Tags
boost, byebye jackson racing, e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, supercharger