follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
justin6280

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Low coolant?

Hey, I noticed my car was approaching the red in the temperature gauge. I went to go check my coolant level and realized that I was COMPLETELY out of coolant... I do not track the car, and I don't really drive it too hard while daily driving. Only mods I have put on is the Perrin catback and Perrin drop-in filter.
The coolant was topped off at my last maintenance check at 7500 miles.

My car currently has around 14500 miles on it. The car manual says that the coolant is supposed to last for 11 years or 137000 miles. Does anyone have any ideas as to how my car managed to go through all that coolant? I haven't noticed anything negative related to performance aside from the high temperature.

My car is currently sitting in the garage. I was also wondering if there's a recommended temporary coolant to put in before I take my car in for warranty maintenance this weekend?
justin6280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
buy the subaru blue coolant and just fill it up. or you can also fill up the overflow with distilled water. however, you might have air pockets in the coolant system since you have been running it empty. this is just me, but every time I gas up my car I always pop the hood and check the fluids like oil and coolant. over time, the coolant will evaporate especially if you drive in hotter climates. this is normal.

however, since you have been driving it and possibly overheated the car, taking it into the dealership is a good call. they might need to bleed the system and have them double check to make sure there are no problems.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You can use Peak 50/50 long life antifreeze. It is silicate free and is safe for our engines. http://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-r...nt/513652_0_0/

Subaru recommends their cooling system conditioner. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-SOA635071-Coolant-System-Conditioner/dp/B00IGZP2UE"]Amazon.com: Subaru SOA635071 OEM Coolant System Conditioner: Automotive[/ame] This is actually just a special kind of stop leak. They put it in from the factory and recommend it for all Subaru engines including the FR-S. Make sure that you add this back to the cooling system or that the dealer does. If this is missing, it could cause coolant to seep past the head gaskets.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It sure does look sounds like you have a major cooling system leak ....... like a hose leaking.

Yep, I'd suggest fill it up with the OEM blue stuff (so the dealership doesn't give you grief about not using authorized coolant).

Do you see any coolant under your car when parked .... ??

Let's hope the car was leaking the coolant and not burning it ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Do you mean nothing in the overflow or nothing in the rad?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I do notice that my BRZ burns some coolant, though at an extremely slow rate. I usually just top it off with distilled water. last summer, I noticed that over 4 months, my coolant level dropped from the middle of high/low in the overflow to under slightly under low in the overflow when the car was cold. it also gets pretty hot in the summer (110+) and I had a few track days/canyon runs.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
justin6280

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sure does look sounds like you have a major cooling system leak ....... like a hose leaking.

Yep, I'd suggest fill it up with the OEM blue stuff (so the dealership doesn't give you grief about not using authorized coolant).

Do you see any coolant under your car when parked .... ??

Let's hope the car was leaking the coolant and not burning it ......

humfrz
I actually haven't checked, but I don't think I see any coolant under the car when parked. Every morning I back out of my driveway, and don't see a puddle where I parked. Unless it evaporated over night? Hopefully the dealership can confirm the problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Do you mean nothing in the overflow or nothing in the rad?
Sorry for not clarifying, I meant nothing in the overflow, but I assumed there is very little in the radiator as well due to approaching red on the temperature gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
You can use Peak 50/50 long life antifreeze. It is silicate free and is safe for our engines. http://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-r...nt/513652_0_0/

Subaru recommends their cooling system conditioner. Amazon.com: Subaru SOA635071 OEM Coolant System Conditioner: Automotive This is actually just a special kind of stop leak. They put it in from the factory and recommend it for all Subaru engines including the FR-S. Make sure that you add this back to the cooling system or that the dealer does. If this is missing, it could cause coolant to seep past the head gaskets.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to head over to Auto Zone after my classes and see if they have the OEM coolant or Peak's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin6280 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-15-2016), new2subaru (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I do notice that my BRZ burns some coolant, though at an extremely slow rate. I usually just top it off with distilled water. last summer, I noticed that over 4 months, my coolant level dropped from the middle of high/low in the overflow to under slightly under low in the overflow when the car was cold. it also gets pretty hot in the summer (110+) and I had a few track days/canyon runs.

That's probably evaporation, there was a very large thread in the past with multiple people noticing coolant loss after the summer and such almost half empty by reading the expansion tank at operating temp if not more. They ended up finding upgraded hoses and clamps lowered the coolant loss to the atmosphere.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
It's 100% normal. It's called evaporation. Also poor maintenance checks. Add coolant or distilled water. Over time and the constant heat of the engine will cause that.

If you see puddles where you park your car then you have a leak. If no puddles are there your fine.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
It's 100% normal. It's called evaporation. Also poor maintenance checks. Add coolant or distilled water. Over time and the constant heat of the engine will cause that.

If you see puddles where you park your car then you have a leak. If no puddles are there your fine.
Are you saying that justin6280's situation (temp gauge going into the red) is normal ..... or you referring to ryoma's situation as being normal ...... ??

humfrz
Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #11
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Are you saying that justin6280's situation (temp gauge going into the red) is normal ..... or you referring to ryoma's situation as being normal ...... ??

humfrz
Ryoma's part. I should have quoted who.

As for justin6280's there could be a leak somewhere. But.....
If the temp just slowly shifted on the hotter side, but not in the red. And that coolant reservoir is just empty, and no puddles on the ground. I say you just need a top off, maybe a coolant air bleed.

But for now you could put distilled water and take it in, your still under warranty.

Now if it just pegged to the red and steam was coming out the engine, then things could be worse.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
justin6280

Garage
UPDATE: I'm so embarrassed lol. So the dealership was able to confirm the fact that there is a leak. The embarrassing part is that it is completely my fault. I installed aftermarket fog lights onto the car. I went to unbolt a bolt from the frame so that I could ground a wire. I ended up losing that bolt into the engine bay and could not find it. I assumed that it would drop out and onto the road but I was wrong. The bolt had been in the radiator in between of the fan. So the bolt has been slowly grinding against the radiator making a hole in it, creating a leak. I was quoted $987.50 to replace/repair but I decided that I will do it myself.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6280 View Post
UPDATE: I'm so embarrassed lol. So the dealership was able to confirm the fact that there is a leak. The embarrassing part is that it is completely my fault. I installed aftermarket fog lights onto the car. I went to unbolt a bolt from the frame so that I could ground a wire. I ended up losing that bolt into the engine bay and could not find it. I assumed that it would drop out and onto the road but I was wrong. The bolt had been in the radiator in between of the fan. So the bolt has been slowly grinding against the radiator making a hole in it, creating a leak. I was quoted $987.50 to replace/repair but I decided that I will do it myself.

dammm one simple bolt loss gave you $987.50 to spend.
time to get Koyo RAdiator.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6280 View Post
UPDATE: I'm so embarrassed lol. ..........
Thanks for the update.

That would usually bring to mind a back-in-the-day story ........ but, I never did anything THAT stupid .......

(jest ah messen wich ya ...... )

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
justin6280 (03-16-2016)