follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #99
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So many demands and questions, RacerX will literally give you their manifold for free if you follow through with your on demands folks.lol
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #100
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Doing before and after dyno run on the same dyno doesn't mean anything?

There are no variables in 1/4 mile testing? Every run consists of uniform starts and gear changes?
More so than a dyno that can easily be fudged.

Hell, I can do a before and after dyno and make it look spectacular, without one actual change to the tune or parts used.

For the 1/4 all you need to do is typical launches and shifts, you are not "racing", nothing hard in that.

This is why so many people don't go to the drags, what the dyno says, and what car can actually do are rarely the same thing.

If any members from Sydney, Australia want to go to WSID on a wensday night I will buy the donuts for the quickest NA.

Opinions may vary
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:20 AM   #101
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
More so than a dyno that can easily be fudged.

Hell, I can do a before and after dyno and make it look spectacular, without one actual change to the tune or parts used.

For the 1/4 all you need to do is typical launches and shifts, you are not "racing", nothing hard in that.

This is why so many people don't go to the drags, what the dyno says, and what car can actually do are rarely the same thing.

If any members from Sydney, Australia want to go to WSID on a wensday night I will buy the donuts for the quickest NA.

Opinions may vary
Before and after testing from a stop is highly inconsistent. almost no one runs the exact same 0-60 0-100 or 1/4mile back to back. You want as consistent replicable testing. If a dyno isn’t good enough for you. Then do 4th gear 3500-7000rpm and then compare before and after times. On same street, in same direction, same temperatures and weather conditions etc. This eliminates traction/tires spinning, launching/hooking, shifting etc. no variables only the changes made on car setup to see if there is any improvement. Or at very least something from a 40+ roll.

Also most people don’t go to the drags because this isn’t a drag car meant for straight line speed. It’s a track and autox car for cornering and handling. This car is too slow NA.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #102
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Before and after testing from a stop is highly inconsistent. almost no one runs the exact same 0-60 0-100 or 1/4mile back to back. You want as consistent replicable testing. If a dyno isn’t good enough for you. Then do 4th gear 3500-7000rpm and then compare before and after times. On same street, in same direction, same temperatures and weather conditions etc. This eliminates traction/tires spinning, launching/hooking, shifting etc. no variables only the changes made on car setup to see if there is any improvement. Or at very least something from a 40+ roll.

Also most people don’t go to the drags because this isn’t a drag car meant for straight line speed. It’s a track and autox car for cornering and handling. This car is too slow NA.
I've come from a drag racing background as well as circuit, being consistent at both is key, and achievable.

Look at bracket racing, it really isn't that hard to do.

I use to test and tune my old Skyline at the drags, it was quick and cheap, it was set up for the circuit, semi slicks and hard suspension, not a set up for quick times by any means, but, I found I could see how modifications or changes to ECU settings affected the car, hell, 1000m airport runs use to sort out fact from fiction.

In the end it comes down to how you want to skin your cat and can the dyno claims be matched in real world testing.

Dynos are an excellent and safe tuning tool, but there is way to much circle jerking in relation to their power claims though IMO.

See you at the drags for LOLS and donuts?

Opinions may vary
Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #103
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm gonna wait til Friday and see if I made the beta testing reply, if not I'm going to assume I didn't make the group.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #104
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hopefully this doesn't go the way of itb testing where you bury the mediocre results lol and wait for people to simply lose interest. Got my fingers crossed for this one.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Dr. BRZ (05-26-2019), evoto86 (05-26-2019), Jeff@Racer X Fab (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #105
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Beta Testing

Just a small update, a couple weeks ago we purchased a full exhaust system for our vehicle. We installed the system and updated our tune for the full exhaust system. The vehicle was driven with the new system for about 1 week before getting it back on the dyno. Once we had the first few dyno pulls completed we only picked up an additional 8 whp. The initial conclusion was the manifold, so we swapped the OEM manifold back on and lost power. Currently we are scratching our heads a little bit as the majority of enthusiasts pick up a considerably amount of power from the header and exhaust system.

Part of the reason for the beta testing is to hopefully cover a few different setups so we can have a well rounded conclusion. We know the manifold is currently producing better results than the OEM manifold the question now is how much and with what additional modifications.
Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
Dr. BRZ (05-27-2019), evoto86 (05-27-2019), new2subaru (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #106
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Hopefully this doesn't go the way of itb testing where you bury the mediocre results lol and wait for people to simply lose interest. Got my fingers crossed for this one.
I think our previous testing would show that we are not afraid of complete and utter failure. We will show the final results good, bad or indifferent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
Dr. BRZ (05-27-2019), new2subaru (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #107
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Racer X Fab View Post
I think our previous testing would show that we are not afraid of complete and utter failure. We will show the final results good, bad or indifferent.
That is appreciated as is your price point.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Jeff@Racer X Fab (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #108
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just a small update, a couple weeks ago we purchased a full exhaust system for our vehicle. We installed the system and updated our tune for the full exhaust system. The vehicle was driven with the new system for about 1 week before getting it back on the dyno. Once we had the first few dyno pulls completed we only picked up an additional 8 whp. The initial conclusion was the manifold, so we swapped the OEM manifold back on and lost power. Currently we are scratching our heads a little bit as the majority of enthusiasts pick up a considerably amount of power from the header and exhaust system.

Part of the reason for the beta testing is to hopefully cover a few different setups so we can have a well rounded conclusion. We know the manifold is currently producing better results than the OEM manifold the question now is how much and with what additional modifications.
Any updates when the beta testing will begin?
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #109
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Any updates when the beta testing will begin?
We are building manifolds now, once they are completed we will start selecting the beta test group. We have had far more applications than expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
Dr. BRZ (05-27-2019), PulsarBeeerz (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #110
86MLR

Quote:

Which header and which exhaust did you go with, and what sizes?

How do the logs look?
Old 05-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #111
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Which header and which exhaust did you go with, and what sizes?

How do the logs look?
We used what we thought was a common combination from what we have seen on the forum. Tomei UEL header and Q300 exhaust although they are not known for the highest HP output. This includes the mid pipe and over pipe, 2.5" for the full system.

The logs look pretty good, we are using the standard tune file for the OFT Stage 2 plus.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #112
86MLR

Quote:
We used what we thought was a common combination from what we have seen on the forum. Tomei UEL header and Q300 exhaust although they are not known for the highest HP output. This includes the mid pipe and over pipe, 2.5" for the full system.

The logs look pretty good, we are using the standard tune file for the OFT Stage 2 plus.
For a quick test, knock out a cat in a OEM header and see what you get.

I had a knocked out header in my 17 with a 2.5" catless all the way back, I believe the hollowed out 4-2-1 OEM header flows the same, if not better than the Tomei UEL I replaced it with.

I am still to tweek the tune, but I cannot see there being much left on the table, I could be wrong though.