follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #981
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I never got comments like “that looks like a Porsche” or I thought I saw your car but it was a Caymen type comments when I had my Gen 1’s. Now I get it all the time. I get asked questions at the gas station at red lights everywhere. When I went to a nice steakhouse they parked my car out front next to some very nice exotics, instead of shepherding it underground. It felt good. That’s all I am saying I feel like I’m driving a nicer car than what it is, and I am proud everywhere I go, that was not always the case before.
Enjoy your car, man.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #982
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Oh of course, I'm just coming from the aspect of the average driver.
Ah. I understand. At the risk of sounding snooty, I think the average driver would just notice a harsher ride and trade it in for an SUV
Old 08-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #983
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I never got comments like “that looks like a Porsche” or I thought I saw your car but it was a Caymen type comments when I had my Gen 1’s. Now I get it all the time. I get asked questions at the gas station at red lights everywhere. When I went to a nice steakhouse they parked my car out front next to some very nice exotics, instead of shepherding it underground. It felt good. That’s all I am saying I feel like I’m driving a nicer car than what it is, and I am proud everywhere I go, that was not always the case before.
Dude, you *hafta* be kidding us. Also, it's *Cayman*, not "Caymen"...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:56 PM   #984
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Also, it's *Cayman*, not "Caymen"...
Unless he has more than one
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
bcj (08-28-2023), CSG Mike (08-25-2023), EAGLE5 (08-27-2023), Ernest72 (08-26-2023), soundman98 (08-25-2023), Spuds (08-29-2023), Ultramaroon (08-25-2023), WildCard600 (08-25-2023), ZDan (08-26-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:11 PM   #985
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
I kind of understand, but then I stop and think about how I'll be retired at 50 and all my colleagues will still be working at 70 because they couldn't resist that BMW or Audi and have to finance a new one every 3-4 years so they don't "look poor" and drive home to their expensive house in the trendy neighborhood while I get in my long paid off 86 and drive to my modest house that's "too much of a drive" away all of a sudden it doesn't' bother me anymore.

Bonus points for not sweating our bonus % every year because it's already been spent the year before financing the aforementioned status symbols and can comfortably tuck it away in a brokerage account and maybe move retirement up to 49 or 48.

Maybe you're already independently wealthy and that situation doesn't apply, if so disregard.
Will you enjoy at 50 what your colleagues enjoyed at 20/30/40?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Veloist (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 06:48 AM   #986
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I kind of understand, but then I stop and think about how I'll be retired at 50 and all my colleagues will still be working at 70 because they couldn't resist that BMW or Audi and have to finance a new one every 3-4 years so they don't "look poor" and drive home to their expensive house in the trendy neighborhood while I get in my long paid off 86 and drive to my modest house that's "too much of a drive" away all of a sudden it doesn't' bother me anymore.

Bonus points for not sweating our bonus % every year because it's already been spent the year before financing the aforementioned status symbols and can comfortably tuck it away in a brokerage account and maybe move retirement up to 49 or 48.

Maybe you're already independently wealthy and that situation doesn't apply, if so disregard.
A bit judgemental about how people spend their money. I am all for responsible spending, but everyone has different priorities, wants and needs. Plus you never know what the future holds. You might not make it to 50. (I hope you do of course). I try to strike a good balance of living well now in the moment and saving for the future. Take it from me, I am 51 and just bought a 981 cayman last year. Should have bought it years ago, but was saving for college for kids. Pure enjoyment of driving, don’t care about status. Still enjoy the BRZ almost as much except for the flat 6 sound.

And if you retire at 50 you better have a lot of money and have a plan of what you will do with your time. You could live 40-50 years. Boredom can kill. Having a purpose in life is what leads to happiness.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (08-29-2023), Tatsu333 (09-01-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #987
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
A bit judgemental about how people spend their money. I am all for responsible spending, but everyone has different priorities, wants and needs. Plus you never know what the future holds. You might not make it to 50. (I hope you do of course). I try to strike a good balance of living well now in the moment and saving for the future. Take it from me, I am 51 and just bought a 981 cayman last year. Should have bought it years ago, but was saving for college for kids. Pure enjoyment of driving, don’t care about status. Still enjoy the BRZ almost as much except for the flat 6 sound.

And if you retire at 50 you better have a lot of money and have a plan of what you will do with your time. You could live 40-50 years. Boredom can kill. Having a purpose in life is what leads to happiness.
I assume you are talking about my colleagues, since those that the people I was talking about in my post. I wouldn't be judgmental if they didn't complain that they are struggling financially all the time. I know how much they make, I hired most of them. It's not BMW/Audi and $600,000 house money. Just getting them to put enough into their 401k to get the company match is like pulling teeth. Unless they stumble into an inheritance most of them are going to have a bad time when they get older, as most people will if stats about median retirement savings balances are to be believed.

I would love a Porsche, in fact I wanted a Cayman instead of the 86. I couldn't justify spending 2x+ $$$.

Life is a series of choices and trade offs. I'm sick of working, sick of living in the place I do because I need to be able to commute to an office if needed. Buying a Porsche I will barely drive isn't a good financial move, buying any third car I barely drive was dumb enough but at least it was half the price.

Point is, I'm not going to be "embarrassed" driving a first gen because I'm not interested in keeping up with the jones' and financing a lifestyle like the vast majority of people do is not a road I'm going to go down.
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:42 AM   #988
WildCard600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

I didn't even own a car from 19-22, only transportation I had was a sport bike. I still have my '89 Trans Am from when I was younger and didn't think of the future.

I like not being house and vehicle poor and am glad to be potentially facing the home stretch before I can walk away from this place and never look back. Might even be able to move somewhere where I can do some track days. FIRE isn't going to happen if the only things I have to show for years of work is a giant mortgage, fancy European car loans and a stack of door dash receipts.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #989
CSG Mike

Quote:
I didn't even own a car from 19-22, only transportation I had was a sport bike. I still have my '89 Trans Am from when I was younger and didn't think of the future.

I like not being house and vehicle poor and am glad to be potentially facing the home stretch before I can walk away from this place and never look back. Might even be able to move somewhere where I can do some track days. FIRE isn't going to happen if the only things I have to show for years of work is a giant mortgage, fancy European car loans and a stack of door dash receipts.
That's your rationalization, but totally doesn't answer my question.

Quote:

While this isn't a financial forum, and certainly easier said than done for most, the solution is not to save a higher % of your income, but to just simply, build a skillset that allows you to make more. Why not have that expensive house AND the expensive cars AND save for financial freedom.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:31 PM   #990
WildCard600

Quote:
That's your rationalization, but totally doesn't answer my question.
I don't know how to answer your question then.

Quote:
While this isn't a financial forum, and certainly easier said than done for most, the solution is not to save a higher % of your income, but to just simply, build a skillset that allows you to make more. Why not have that expensive house AND the expensive cars AND save for financial freedom.
sure, but not everyone is going to make it to the .1% no matter how hard they may work or what skills they may have. I already did the hustle in my 30's to get where I'm at which is doing pretty good compared to the vast majority of wagies in this country.

everyone is free to make their own choices, sorry my opinion that most people are making bad ones apparently triggered some folks.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #991
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I assume you are talking about my colleagues, since those that the people I was talking about in my post. I wouldn't be judgmental if they didn't complain that they are struggling financially all the time. I know how much they make, I hired most of them. It's not BMW/Audi and $600,000 house money. Just getting them to put enough into their 401k to get the company match is like pulling teeth. Unless they stumble into an inheritance most of them are going to have a bad time when they get older, as most people will if stats about median retirement savings balances are to be believed.

I would love a Porsche, in fact I wanted a Cayman instead of the 86. I couldn't justify spending 2x+ $$$.

Life is a series of choices and trade offs. I'm sick of working, sick of living in the place I do because I need to be able to commute to an office if needed. Buying a Porsche I will barely drive isn't a good financial move, buying any third car I barely drive was dumb enough but at least it was half the price.

Point is, I'm not going to be "embarrassed" driving a first gen because I'm not interested in keeping up with the jones' and financing a lifestyle like the vast majority of people do is not a road I'm going to go down.
Can’t worry about other people. You can lead a horse to water….. no embarrassment at all for an 86. I love mine to death. But when you have had your fun with 86, get a cayman/boxter. If you love the 86 you will love the cayman. Get a base for the street even better, if tracking get an S. No need for GT cars, too much money for the same experience on the street.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:18 PM   #992
CSG Mike

Quote:
I don't know how to answer your question then.
Quite literally, will you be enjoying yourself enough at 50, to have at least as much fun as your colleagues who spent less wisely at 20/30/40?

Will your FIRE plan be enough to "just retire" or spend as abundantly as they did in their earlier years?
Old 08-26-2023, 10:30 PM   #993
WildCard600

Quote:
Quite literally, will you be enjoying yourself enough at 50, to have at least as much fun as your colleagues who spent less wisely at 20/30/40?

Will your FIRE plan be enough to "just retire" or spend as abundantly as they did in their earlier years?

I already spent unwisely and had fun in my 20/30's. That's why I am still working. If I didn't have effed up priorities back then thinking "lol, YOLO bruh" I probably would have that Porsche and bounced out of here.

I'm not saying you should pinch every penny, eat only ramen and live in a cardboard box. I'm just saying if you're only making $170k you probably should worry about maxing you 401k, IRA and HSA before you run out and finance a $100k vehicle every 3-4 years. I had to learn the hard way, most people don't learn.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:33 AM   #994
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I mean, I hope to car wise. New cars are so incredibly good these days. I remember when <3.5 seconds was super car territory. Now I can hope over to my BMW dealer and have choices: M2, M3, M4, M5, M8, and i4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I cannot imagine boredom with retirement. In English alone, there are more books than I can ever read. I'm just starting to get into Chinese light novels. Those are addictive. Then there's TV and movies. Then there's actually writing something myself, plus hiking, swimming, gardening, driving, improv, theater, standup, and volunteering. I look forward to getting this work yoke off my neck in a few years, around when I hit 50. Interestingly enough, travel isn't super high on my list of things I wanna do. I've been to significant parts of Europe and the US plus a bit of Asia. The more I travel, the more I realize that I just wanna be in Hawaii.

Quote:
Mike, are you transporting drugs as you go from track to track? It's the CSG 401K!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote