follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #925
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm well aware...
All I was saying was the one I bought was practically identical in specs and price to a comparable Sager.

I wasn't looking to get another Alienware anyway as they're all still thicker than I want.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #926
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
The cheapest sager you can get with a 980M (8GB of VDDR5) is 1.6k.....

The cheapest Alienware I found with a 980m was right around 2k. Now this model came with 32GB of RAM whereas the sager came with 16GB. And the Allienware also comes with Windows 10 whereas the Sager comes with no OS.

Alienware tends to be overpriced and much less modular than sager.
Not trying to defend Alienware but those two differences (RAM and OS) pretty much explain the difference in price.

Also, the Alienware laptops I've seen can be upgraded relatively easily. You can swap out video cards, disks, memory, and they have an option to run a desktop video card.

Admittedly, I've never torn apart an Alienware model smaller than the 17s so that may not apply to all models and I have no doubt you can buy or build a better unit, just not sure its fair to say a unit with half the memory and no OS is a better deal than one that has both but costs a little more.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #927
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not trying to defend Alienware but those two differences (RAM and OS) pretty much explain the difference in price.

Also, the Alienware laptops I've seen can be upgraded relatively easily. You can swap out video cards, disks, memory, and they have an option to run a desktop video card.

Admittedly, I've never torn apart an Alienware model smaller than the 17s so that may not apply to all models and I have no doubt you can buy or build a better unit, just not sure its fair to say a unit with half the memory and no OS is a better deal than one that has both but costs a little more.
Unfortunately they took away the ability to swap out the video card with the recent models.
Disks and memory are still simple though.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #928
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Good point.
@Bowen Also, Dell is constantly putting Alienware PCs/Laptops on sale. The list price is rarely the same month to month so keep an eye out on deal sites like techbargains, dealnews, and slickdeals.com
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #929
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The Sagers have terrible aesthetics. At least the trackpad has real buttons. Those are pretty rare nowadays. If you want a reasonable gaming laptop, you can also wait for Dell, MSI, and other brands to have sales. Most of them look like tarted up Winbooks from 1996, though.

I'm waiting until I can get an external GPU through Thunderbolt 3. It's taking them a long time to get it done, but I figure within 12 months, we'll finally be there. Then I can get an i7 ultrabook as a gaming machine.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #930
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Good point.
@Bowen Also, Dell is constantly putting Alienware PCs/Laptops on sale. The list price is rarely the same month to month so keep an eye out on deal sites like techbargains, dealnews, and slickdeals.com
You're not wrong there, slickdeals has constantly got some nice prices on alienware systems. However it can be challenging if you're looking for a deal on a specific model/configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #931
Andrew025

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post

I'm waiting until I can get an external GPU through Thunderbolt 3. It's taking them a long time to get it done, but I figure within 12 months, we'll finally be there. Then I can get an i7 ultrabook as a gaming machine.
Closest thing available is the Razer Stealth or the New Razer.
The external GPU Razer Core is like $500 though (which I think is ridiculous).
At least it's not proprietary like the Alienware one.

I was considering the Razer Stealth.
It ends up slightly cheaper than the New Razer if you go all in and get the Core+1070. But you lose out on gaming without taking the Core with you.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #932
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

nah the sager still comes up cheaper by a few hundred bucks if you add the os and ram, and to my knowledge (from experience, although have not opened one in 2-3 years) most parts on the alienware laptops are soldered into place meaning you can't replace the parts as easily as you need to remove the solder first, voiding all warranty on the unit even if done by a professional shop(that is not alienware) that is a non issue with sager

It's just an alternative for OP, also I hate Dell and therefore alienware
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #933
Bowen