follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #337
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wait...there is an install guide?
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #338
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
Wait...there is an install guide?
It just goes over the few "gray area" points of the install. Intercooler cutting, Coolant line routing (If applicable), vacuum source areas, etc.

This is the old one, was hesitant to post this since they said they are working on a new one, but once they release it I will update my post with that one.

Link to Guide
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #339
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
It just goes over the few "gray area" points of the install. Intercooler cutting, Coolant line routing (If applicable), vacuum source areas, etc.

This is the old one, was hesitant to post this since they said they are working on a new one, but once they release it I will update my post with that one.

Link to Guide
Well look at that. I always thought it was kind of lame you just got a box of parts and had to figure out how it goes together. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

On a side note...it looks like my water lines are wrong. Oops.
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #340
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Link to Guide
After looking at it the only changes were the BOV location and the cold side silicone off the IC core. I will get an updated one added to the product page
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #341
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
Well look at that. I always thought it was kind of lame you just got a box of parts and had to figure out how it goes together. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

On a side note...it looks like my water lines are wrong. Oops.
Damn didn't even catch that @yomny, make sure your lines are opposite this lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
After looking at it the only changes were the BOV location and the cold side silicone off the IC core. I will get an updated one added to the product page
Ok let me know and I will update the link unless you end up just replacing that file on the server.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #342
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Damn didn't even catch that @yomny, make sure your lines are opposite this lol

Ok let me know and I will update the link unless you end up just replacing that file on the server.
What do you mean, water inlet front and outlet rear?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #343
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
yeah thats how I basically have mine...I mean I don't mind the intake pipe, I just hate how the filter is buried in between the ABS and washer fluid neck.

Looks way cleaner with just the filter, and also "balances" it better. With the piping and crap it makes everything look "off center" to me. I'm weird I know

Side Note: How you liking that 30r with the .63 hotside?
Yeah i hate how its crushed up in the corner. It doesn't look so pretty and makes working on things more "fun".

I have a 30R .82 not a .63. Its "alright" it spools slower than I would like for my personal joy... Although it does spool at an acceptable speed for most. But I spent a very long time tweaking VVT to get it where it is. I want to swap out a .63 housing and see if the spool is where I like it but I have considered going down to a 28R instead. We will see how things turn out after we finish building my transmission. I am pretty sure ill end up just using the .63 and leaving it the way it is though.

If your on stock compression the .82 can help a fair bit on pump gas power if your trying to squeeze the most possible... But for someone like me who rarely goes below E40 (only when traveling do i get below E60 typically) it really isn't doing all that much for me as I never maxed the turbo out to the point that the exhaust flow was a restriction. (I used to run 22-24PSI, now I run ~14 until the new trans is built as I am tired of destroying transmissions).
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #344
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
What do you mean, water inlet front and outlet rear?
He has his lines routed backwards. the Low side (near the rad) is suppose to go to the back side of the motor. The high side (near the engine) is suppose to go to the front of the motor under the TB. I mentioned this picture earlier because it shows the hoses going to each location they have to go, but he has them flipped lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Yeah i hate how its crushed up in the corner. It doesn't look so pretty and makes working on things more "fun".

I have a 30R .82 not a .63. Its "alright" it spools slower than I would like for my personal joy... Although it does spool at an acceptable speed for most. But I spent a very long time tweaking VVT to get it where it is. I want to swap out a .63 housing and see if the spool is where I like it but I have considered going down to a 28R instead. We will see how things turn out after we finish building my transmission. I am pretty sure ill end up just using the .63 and leaving it the way it is though.

If your on stock compression the .82 can help a fair bit on pump gas power if your trying to squeeze the most possible... But for someone like me who rarely goes below E40 (only when traveling do i get below E60 typically) it really isn't doing all that much for me as I never maxed the turbo out to the point that the exhaust flow was a restriction. (I used to run 22-24PSI, now I run ~14 until the new trans is built as I am tired of destroying transmissions).
Ah ok, my bad. I went into your build thread and saw .63 listed on the first page. I was asking as I considered a 30r but was afraid of exactly what you describe above. I haven't gone over 4k rpm yet in my car so i'm not exactly sure how the 28 is yet but I'm hoping based off what I read and what i've been told that the 28 is the "go-to" turbo for our application.

Damn another fixing/building the trans...hoping mine doesn't blow apart lol. I'm in the same situation as you, once I went E85 I haven't filled back up yet on pump. I only will if I am forced to most likely.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #345
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
He has his lines routed backwards. the Low side (near the rad) is suppose to go to the back side of the motor. The high side (near the engine) is suppose to go to the front of the motor under the TB. I mentioned this picture earlier because it shows the hoses going to each location they have to go, but he has them flipped lol.

Ah ok, my bad. I went into your build thread and saw .63 listed on the first page. I was asking as I considered a 30r but was afraid of exactly what you describe above. I haven't gone over 4k rpm yet in my car so i'm not exactly sure how the 28 is yet but I'm hoping based off what I read and what i've been told that the 28 is the "go-to" turbo for our application.

Damn another fixing/building the trans...hoping mine doesn't blow apart lol. I'm in the same situation as you, once I went E85 I haven't filled back up yet on pump. I only will if I am forced to most likely.
Well I ordered a .63 I just happened to receive a .82... >.< i originally wanted a 28 but everyone convinced me I should go with a 30... so I did but figured as long as I go with a small housing it couldn't be too bad. Took me a while to find out why it was spooling so slowly...

As for transmissions I was pushing a fair bit of torque. I have a set of broken DSS axles and I never launched the car once. Im still a bit clueless as to how I managed that one though lol...
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #346
xxscaxx

Quote:
Well I ordered a .63 I just happened to receive a .82... >.< i originally wanted a 28 but everyone convinced me I should go with a 30... so I did but figured as long as I go with a small housing it couldn't be too bad. Took me a while to find out why it was spooling so slowly...

As for transmissions I was pushing a fair bit of torque. I have a set of broken DSS axles and I never launched the car once. Im still a bit clueless as to how I managed that one though lol...
lol how the? I had a 30r with a .82 housing on my 05 STi. Miss that car.

Well hopefully mine holds up. Not too sure what my power levels will be but i'm running Delicious Tunings E85 Flash n Go tune that has boost based off Ethanol content. Most the car will see is 15-16 psi, but the Ethanol % is rarely over 75 most of the time here so i'm not too sure how often that will be the case.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #347
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Guys after my most recent experience with JDL i'd most likely be getting rid of their system and exchanging for something with a bit more support. If any one needs anything from me, id be most happy to help out as always.. If interested in knowing what happened, check out my review on my recent attempt to upgrade a my kit. Parts and quality, are great, the team, leaves much to be desired. I'm sure many have had great experiences as i did once and i also know by personal knowledge that others have had a few troubles.. not to say a LOT.. won't get too off topic here so.. later!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #348
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

The stock trans should be able to hold 300whp pretty easily, right? I know a clutch will absolutely be needed, but I thought the stock trans was decent.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #349
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
lol how the? I had a 30r with a .82 housing on my 05 STi. Miss that car.

Well hopefully mine holds up. Not too sure what my power levels will be but i'm running Delicious Tunings E85 Flash n Go tune that has boost based off Ethanol content. Most the car will see is 15-16 psi, but the Ethanol % is rarely over 75 most of the time here so i'm not too sure how often that will be the case.
How often do you run the 15psi? Didn't you say you have a built engine, or won't 15 go a long way to destroying your stock components?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #350
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Guys after my most recent experience with JDL i'd most likely be getting rid of their system and exchanging for something with a bit more support. If any one needs anything from me, id be most happy to help out as always.. If interested in knowing what happened, check out my review on my recent attempt to upgrade a my kit. Parts and quality, are great, the team, leaves much to be desired. I'm sure many have had great experiences as i did once and i also know by personal knowledge that others have had a few troubles.. not to say a LOT.. won't get too off topic here so.. later!
Sorry to hear this man...damn shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
How often do you run the 15psi? Didn't you say you have a built engine, or won't 15 go a long way to destroying your stock components?

I haven't taken my car past 3500-4000 rpm yet No built engine here. Stock. Its all about the tune, and i'm also running E85 which is why i'm even near that much boost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
drambo136 (07-08-2015), yomny (07-08-2015)