follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #225
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER View Post
My suggestion to buyers of Five Axis kits - go somewhere you have seen a properly installed kit and ensure the same guy does yours.

We might need to make a list of dealerships/shops that HAVE done the install properly.

I'd like to add Tejas Toyota/Scion of Houston, TX to the list. They could've done a slightly better paint matching job but the install was 99% perfect. Might just be better to buy the kit prepainted.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #226
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Just imagine this with gunmetal wheels
Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #227
CHOPPER
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
By the way Kanada -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER View Post
Dealership F*k Up

As an early adopter ( 1st 5 axis kit in Ontario Canada ) I took steps to protect myself from dealer incompetence and called Five Axis.

I was very impressed with the knowledge, attitude and aid provided by Five Axis with regard to paint match up and install info. Kudos to the staff !

Thinking I was well armed to fight dealer incompetence I provided ALL the information to my dealership.

Since Five Axis wont ship prepainted kits to Canada and due to the Argento paint match delays at Five axis mine had to be painted by the dealership.
I provided ALL the details for a proper paint match and bake from Five Axis experiences but - yep - the dealership didnt bother to pass the info to their body shop and my kit DOES NOT match the car.

As for the kit install - I had trouble with the dealership bureaucracy trying to get a proper install - the service manager refused to let me watch the install to ensure it was done correctly. I was allowed to talk to the installer and gave him obviously to much info to digest. My salesman was on my side and he tried to supervise the install . Finally the supervisor's boss allowed me to watch for 10 minutes and I saw a piece correctly installed.
Being reassured i left then returned when completed.

Yep - After a day or so - parts were buckling off the car. The 3m tape wasn't sticking, the front skirt was warped and gaps were all over the place.

Since I got my Argento Five Axis as a package - warranty required a complete re-install. Luckily while at the Mosport Racetrack I saw a good install ( A lowered FRS owned by the OWNER of a Toyota Scion dealership ) and asked who put the kit on. It was one of his shop employees.

Needless to say thats where I went for the warranty re-install (and it WAS done correctly) and thats where I will go in future for ANY dealership work (ugh - god forbid). That dealership welcomes clients in the shop area and the management cares about their clients.

My suggestion to buyers of Five Axis kits - go somewhere you have seen a properly installed kit and ensure the same guy does yours.

For all us Kanucks - Its Wietzes Toyota Scion, North Toronto - Ontario Kanada - They care, and above all KNOW what they are doing --- Thanx Bryall , PJ , Unknown young guy researcher, Kevin (bossman) -- and of course the parts guy Dave who was a total surprise! - An off road 4 wheelin buddie from 20 years ago -
(Central Ontario 4X4 Ass. - [as in association not yer butt] ).

They are starting to change my distaste for pork barrel politics bureaucratic money grubbing shop rate (12 brake jobs an hour per grease monkey mentality) -

CHOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #228
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
@CHOPPER - Do you have a Five:AD edition vehicle? Post up some pictures and give @tnt something to stare at for the next week until his components are installed LOL.
@tnt - it's close man. Can't wait to see it!
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #229
CHOPPER
Banned

Soon com mon !

My "she who must be obeyed" said she will do pics for me ( I'm useless with a camera ) Hopefully tonight
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #230
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
kits came in ..... I'm waiting for my exhaust and intake to install all at once
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #231
rasec29

Drives: '09 xB & '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Picking up the kit today! Installing Along with Eibach Sportline springs this weekend

Airaid Intake and 5AD S5:F's installed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

rasec29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #232
digital_assassin

@rasec29 - Awesome! I get my wheels and springs this Friday. Hopefully I will get the kit back on the car soon.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #233
CHOPPER
Banned

Proper 5 Axis Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
@CHOPPER - Do you have a Five:AD edition vehicle? Post up some pictures and give @tnt something to stare at for the next week until his components are installed LOL.
@tnt - it's close man. Can't wait to see it!
As you can see - no gaps, all filled with 3m tape. Any gaps and water will get in and eventually erode the adhesion of the tape.

In the third pic down you can see plastic washers acting as spacers used because the paint shop didnt get the instructions I gave the dealer to properly support the parts while painting and baking. Slight warpage was the result. When the warped part was installed , it pulled in when screwed into the wheel well buckling the side skirt it away from the body of the car and pulling away the tape. Plastic washers solved this.

The Following User Says Thank You to CHOPPER For This Useful Post:
tnt (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #234
CHOPPER
Banned

By the way

The pink reflections are my "she who must be obeyed" feet !

Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #235
jedichimp
OG <FR-S'less> Member

Drives: yes
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
sweet Crocs

panda cheez
jedichimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #236
digital_assassin

@CHOPPER - dude, you're just teasing with the pictures. Where's some full shots man? Glad your install turned out ok.

Chopper and @tnt - Not sure if you've seen it before or not but Guardline in Puyallup (near Seattle) did a gloss black wrap on the roof of an Argento and it brought the look of the car to life IMO. Check it out (stolen from FB post)

This would be killer on a Five:AD car
The Following User Says Thank You to digital_assassin For This Useful Post:
rasec29 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #237
CHOPPER
Banned

More pics -

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
@CHOPPER - dude, you're just teasing with the pictures. Where's some full shots man? Glad your install turned out ok.

Chopper and @tnt - Not sure if you've seen it before or not but Guardline in Puyallup (near Seattle) did a gloss black wrap on the roof of an Argento and it brought the look of the car to life IMO. Check it out (stolen from FB post)

This would be killer on a Five:AD car
More of my argento pics !

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16087

Poser pics will be up as soon as my wrap wheels and tires are done ! :happy0180:

Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #238
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The black wrap roof is on my wish list .... looks good !
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote