follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #4159
Whooosah

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will bedding in track pads improve braking performance?

Specifically at high speed threshold braking I notice abs kicking in what seems like fairly easily and car starts to move around a bit. I'm guessing a big part of it is tires. I'm on michelin PSS and W5 pads. I'm thinking technique is a big part too.

Any tips on how to brake from straights into chicanes etc.
Whooosah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 AM   #4160
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whooosah View Post

Specifically at high speed threshold braking I notice abs kicking in what seems like fairly easily and car starts to move around a bit. I'm guessing a big part of it is tires. I'm on michelin PSS and W5 pads. I'm thinking technique is a big part too.

Got a datalog?

The tire is the larger factor; that's not a very sticky tire for hard driving.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #4161
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

If you're getting into ABS the limiting factor is tire grip. Improving brakes (pads, rotors or calipers) won't change much. Get stickier tires.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #4162
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

It's very easy to kick on ABS. Just brake harder than your grip. Instead of replacing the tires, learn to threshold brake first. If your ABS kicks in, you're braking too hard.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #4163
LittleBlueGT

Drives: 2013 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Using RS-3s for the track, which of course are directional.

If it is bone dry, is there any issue with running them on the wrong side? (as in left tire on the right side.....)

thanks
LittleBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:20 AM   #4164
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT View Post

If it is bone dry, is there any issue with running them on the wrong side? (as in left tire on the right side.....)

thanks
The car will only drive in reverse.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Takumi788 (08-27-2016), wootwoot (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #4165
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Quote:
Specifically at high speed threshold braking I notice abs kicking in what seems like fairly easily and car starts to move around a bit.
It can kick in somewhat easily depending on Tyres, allignment settings etc. What i would like to ask is if you have the pedal dance engaged. The first time I went out I mistook the EBD being a total spastic for ABS. I'd always recommend at least once doing an ABS activation on a hot lap with the pedal dance to feel the difference if you haven't already. Otherwise maybe a smoother application, modulation for bumps etc. We have some tracks locally that you basically use half the normal pedal pressure because the bumps are so heavy into the braking zone that you can't go any harder and you vary it alot in different sections on a single braking zone.

Basically try braking a couple metres shorter, being smoother and getting excellent apex's and exits. Then try pushing it later and harder. That's just what I've found works well for me.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #4166
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT View Post

thanks
None
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
BatStig (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #4167
Whooosah

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks! Yes I've been running with pedal dance. I think I am being too harsh on initial brake application. Smoother application yet firm on the limit before abs is what I have to work on. Good to know about bumps too. Thanks for the tips on how to get faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
It can kick in somewhat easily depending on Tyres, allignment settings etc. What i would like to ask is if you have the pedal dance engaged. The first time I went out I mistook the EBD being a total spastic for ABS. I'd always recommend at least once doing an ABS activation on a hot lap with the pedal dance to feel the difference if you haven't already. Otherwise maybe a smoother application, modulation for bumps etc. We have some tracks locally that you basically use half the normal pedal pressure because the bumps are so heavy into the braking zone that you can't go any harder and you vary it alot in different sections on a single braking zone.

Basically try braking a couple metres shorter, being smoother and getting excellent apex's and exits. Then try pushing it later and harder. That's just what I've found works well for me.
Whooosah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whooosah For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-27-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #4168
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
does anyone have any recommended track settings for kw 3way clubsports
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #4169
qwerty66

Drives: frs
Has anyone here played with rear trailing arm /traction arm lengths?

I'm currently trying to figure out how to put power down better on the frs. I would have to be very late and gentle on throttle on corner exits because the rear end tends to step out very easily.
I have spc lower control arm spl toe arm, when set to the desired alignment settings both arms end up being longer than stock. I'm thinking that since both toe and lower control arms are longer does that inturn make the traction arm "shorter" and induces excessive toe in under compression, and causing lack of grip accelerating out

My rear alignment is currently at - 3.0 camber and zero toe
Front is - 3.5 with - 2.2 adjusted at the knuckle with camber bolts and the additional - 1.3 with hvt top hats, also at zero toe
Any advice would be much appreciated
qwerty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #4170
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty66 View Post
Has anyone here played with rear trailing arm /traction arm lengths?

I'm currently trying to figure out how to put power down better on the frs. I would have to be very late and gentle on throttle on corner exits because the rear end tends to step out very easily.
I have spc lower control arm spl toe arm, when set to the desired alignment settings both arms end up being longer than stock. I'm thinking that since both toe and lower control arms are longer does that inturn make the traction arm "shorter" and induces excessive toe in under compression, and causing lack of grip accelerating out

My rear alignment is currently at - 3.0 camber and zero toe
Front is - 3.5 with - 2.2 adjusted at the knuckle with camber bolts and the additional - 1.3 with hvt top hats, also at zero toe
Any advice would be much appreciated
I'd guess less rear camber would help you - I was at -2.8 (one seemed to be at -3 when I got it realigned) and changing to -2.2 made a huge difference in how early I can get on the throttle without walking the back of the car out - though I still can. YMMV,

C

Last edited by cjd; 09-11-2016 at 11:10 PM.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #4171
Casey10s

Drives: 2013 white limited BRZ
I have a track specific question, the track I go to is somewhat L shaped. At both ends of the L, there is a sharp low speed corner that then goes up a steep hill. I just can't climb the hill as well as most cars. What would be a good solution besides getting another car?

What I tried lately is to turn in late so I can take a straight line through the apex and then go up the hill. Seems to work better if I don't have to turn the wheels until later going up the hill. I am below 4k rpm in 3rd gear maybe going between 40 and 50 mph at the slowest and just don't have the torque at the low end to accelerate better. Going to 2nd does not seem to work since I feel I am losing time and also banging the transmission more than I like. In the flatter corners, I seem to running with most cars unless the drivers are really experienced.

This if for PDE and not doing any racing. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have a JRSC and PSS tires. I am going to talk to my tuner and see if anything can be improved from that end if that could help.

Thanks in advance.
Casey10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #4172
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey10s View Post
I am below 4k rpm in 3rd gear maybe going between 40 and 50 mph at the slowest and just don't have the torque at the low end to accelerate better. Going to 2nd does not seem to work since I feel I am losing time and also banging the transmission more
Trying to go uphill after braking and while accelerating right at the torque dip is no bueno... get into second and rev that bitch would be my knee jerk response. Could you explain how you mean you lose time in this practice?

I'm sure other track rats will chime in with more insight
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-16-2016), Shark_Bait88 (09-16-2016)