follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #155
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
You seem to have a problem understanding English. The only difference between a Stage X tune and a Stage X tune PLUS GRIMMSPEED - IS THE MAF TABLE.

I'm not talking about differences between a Stage X tune and a Stage Y tune!!!!!!! I know there can be SIGNIFICANT differences between Stage X and Stage Y.

BY WAY OF EXAMPLE...Start with a Stage 2 UEL 93 tune (i.e. Publicly available 2.067 tune from OFT site). Copy over the Grimmspeed MAF table from the tune Shiv made (this is a stage 1 tune but YOU ONLY COPY THE MAF TABLE GET IT). You now have a Stage 2 UEL + Grimmspeed 93 tune. It's that simple!

I swear with some people it's like talking to a wall...
The issue is (and I am going from memory here) the stage 1 and stage 2 oft petrol tunes have the same Primary OL FUEL Table AFR values.

Shiv makes the stage 2 tunes run a bit richer top end in the Stage 2 tunes by deliberately increasing the values in the MAF scale compared to the Stage 1 tunes. due stage 2 for catless header. this makes the stage 2 tunes run richer than the OL fuel table target values.

This fueling increase would usually be done by richening up the values in the OL Fuel table in the stage 2 tune.

Unfortunatly if you just copy in a Stage 1 maf scale that does not have this artificial "richening" done you may run into issues with knock, unless you then alter the fueling by changing the values in the OL Fuel table or artificially offsetting your maf scaling you cut and pasted in. This is because the maf scale you have copied in has not been "tweaked" to richen up the top end

you will probably get away with the cut and paste of the maf scale on good 93 fuel is USA. but guys doing that to a 91 stage 2 map or guys in europe or australia with lower quality fuels will likely run into issues.

also some cars run slightly richer or leaner due differences in the actual maf sensor itself, the oft guys generally make their tunes run on the side rich for safety, so you may get away with just a cut and paste but it will cause issues for some. depending on your maf sensor and fuel octane/quality.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (07-19-2015), nunonuna (07-19-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #156
86_PWR

Drives: 2015 FRS RS 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well thanks for all the replies, but i asked a simple question because i need a simple answer. I dont know how to adjust maps or scaling and such. I can load the map though. So i guess there is no map for what i asked. Seems like only a stage 1 map specific to the gs.
86_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #157
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_PWR View Post
Well thanks for all the replies, but i asked a simple question because i need a simple answer. I dont know how to adjust maps or scaling and such. I can load the map though. So i guess there is no map for what i asked. Seems like only a stage 1 map specific to the gs.
The answer is use unmolested Stg1 map or unmolested Stg2 map, you don't need to modify either.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #158
Fot49

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am on the edge of purchasing an OFT, but I don't see a OTS tune that will fit my setup without extensive knowledge of tuning. I am running 91 octane in California on Grimmspeed intake with BPB and I am thinking of adding a UEL header. I have been unable to find any search results of people modifying a Stage 2 tune for the intake and BPB.

This thread mentioned the Grimmspeed beta tune is for Stage 1. Is my only option a custom tune? The talk about running into issues with knock has me concerned even though I don't really know what that is (haven't researched enough).
Fot49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #159
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot49 View Post
I am on the edge of purchasing an OFT, but I don't see a OTS tune that will fit my setup without extensive knowledge of tuning. I am running 91 octane in California on Grimmspeed intake with BPB and I am thinking of adding a UEL header. I have been unable to find any search results of people modifying a Stage 2 tune for the intake and BPB.

This thread mentioned the Grimmspeed beta tune is for Stage 1. Is my only option a custom tune? The talk about running into issues with knock has me concerned even though I don't really know what that is (haven't researched enough).
You don't need to make any changes for GS intake. The "GS tune" doesn't change anything but a few closed loop maf cells so it does literally nothing in comparison to some of the other tweaks available on the forum.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #160
Fot49

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
You don't need to make any changes for GS intake. The "GS tune" doesn't change anything but a few closed loop maf cells so it does literally nothing in comparison to some of the other tweaks available on the forum.
Thank you for the response Wayno.

I meant to say I don't have any knowledge of tuning and I will probably be learning during this entire process.

How about BPB changes? Would I just copy the tables from the BPB thread to the standard Stage 2 tune?
Fot49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #161
Wayno

It depends how good your fuel is and how you want to tune it. Intake spacers heat soak so it's up to you to add more timing and let the ecu manage it, or use less timing so you get consistent power at the expense of less when cold.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #162
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Bump from the dead, but was there ever an updated stg 2 w/ grimmspeed intake tune?
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calmtigers For This Useful Post:
Shedd22 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #163
k.houan

Drives: BRZZZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
Bump from the dead, but was there ever an updated stg 2 w/ grimmspeed intake tune?
Did you ever find out if there was a stg2 grimmspeed tune? (I see noone replied lol)
k.houan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #164
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The grimspeed intake maf scaling is very close to stock intake maf scaling so you dont rearly need to make any changes
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #165
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The grimspeed intake maf scaling is very close to stock intake maf scaling so you dont rearly need to make any changes
The only problem is people don't read, much less use a logger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
jawn (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #166
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
Did you ever find out if there was a stg2 grimmspeed tune? (I see noone replied lol)
After reading the entire thread pretty much came to the same conclusions as the guys above
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #167
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have been running the oft OTS stg 2 e85 tune all summer as well as recently switching back to the stage 2 91 tune for winter. Grimmspeed intake, open flash header, greddy evo gt. My OFT sits above my left vent to keep a pretty good eye on it. IAM never below 1, ltft +-3, no knock, afr as it should, nothing out of the ordinary. Recently switching back to 91 my ltft was a little higher 8-10 with minor tip-in knock. Second tank of gas it stays within +-3 again and has been great.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #168
OverRev86

Drives: 15' FR-S MT, 12 tC AT, 91 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I just got my Vishnu tune yesterday and now I installed a Injen Intake today, shouldn't have negative effects right? Just making sure...
OverRev86 is offline   Reply With Quote