follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #113
Nfsundrgrnd

Drives: 2013 WR blue sport tech BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
This is the clearest video example yet of the sound, and I can say with complete certainty that this is the exact same noise that mine is making when I do the throttle stab at resting idle on stock 2014 tune. After viewing the video, my friend described it as "the sound you sometimes hear when the car is close to stalling", say for example if you are lugging the engine and you're letting the clutch out too fast and it's about to die.

I don't even need to make a video now because it would be almost exactly the same sound as this video, but with varying volumes or tonal subtleties, etc.

I drove the car around for a bit pretty calm/normally, for about 40 mins, mixed use regular roads and freeways so say averaging 30mph and then up to 80mph. Everything felt great and the car felt healthy and like it had "normal" power for a twin with minimal mods. The low fuel light was close to coming on, so I stopped and filled up with 10 gallons of 76 91oct.

Only drove for 4 miles afterwards so I'm guessing that wasn't long enough for the adv multiplier to change, because it still showed as .68 when I checked. I didn't see @tomm.brz's updated tune until later today so it wasn't on the OFT I had with me. Instead, I decided to flash the "Stg-1-v4.03-LC-FSS-ZA1JB01C" OTS tune.

I did the 5 slow presses/depresses of the gas pedal immediately after the tune was finished flashing, before starting it for the first time. Then I let it idle for 2 or 3 mins after starting. Seemed to really help the throttle position learning, feels pretty much like it already got rid of 90% of the dead spot. I also tried to go really slowly in first gear up from resting to 5,200rpm, and then shift into second and do the same.

I tried to replicate the throttle stab from resting idle sound, but wasn't really able to do it upon my first several attempts. Eventually after I tried some more it did do it, but it was quieter than how it was on the stock tune. I noticed the resting idle was set to 750rpm instead of the stock tune's ~630rpm. Perhaps that has something to do with it? Most of the time it just made the induction noise, and that's it.

So, interesting observations so far! I have not had a chance to really do much driving on the v4 91 tune but on the drive home it felt pretty smooth and also noticeably different than stock. Will follow up with more this week as I log my minimal commuting miles. Might have to take it out on my lunch hour as well just to get some miles on the tune. Here's what it looked like after just a few miles on the new tune:
This is absolutely the exact same noise I'm dealing with, no questions asked. I'm trying to figure out why my logs are so bad though compared to yours. Is it possible that canadian 91 with winter additives is really bad?
Nfsundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:31 AM   #114
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,069 Times in 777 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
It's a classical pre-ignition noise, not the best

For sure a higher idle would help.. is there any chance the dealer can adjust that from there end on a stock vehicle? haha
that s not pre ignition.. it just bogs with the stock settings

No you can t mod the tune from the dealer of course, you d need an ecutek tune for your gr86
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:32 AM   #115
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfsundrgrnd View Post
This is absolutely the exact same noise I'm dealing with, no questions asked. I'm trying to figure out why my logs are so bad though compared to yours. Is it possible that canadian 91 with winter additives is really bad?
Dont know buddy..... it doesn t sound the same to me honestly from that single video you made
And they only have that bogging sound when trying to rev from resting low idle under 750rpm
yours is doing that all the time and sound more like a pop
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:35 AM   #116
Nfsundrgrnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Dont know buddy..... it doesn t sound the same to me honestly from that single video you made
From what I heard it's nearly Identical, happens at the same spot and everything. Mine does sound a bit more aggressive but that could be due to the amount of throttle applied or other factors. I can try to find someone to record the engine bay today but no promises.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nfsundrgrnd For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:36 AM   #117
Nfsundrgrnd

Quote:
And they only have that bogging sound when trying to rev from resting low idle under 750rpm
yours is doing that all the time and sound more like a pop
I've only heard that sound while blipping at Idle though, nowhere else. Logs might say otherwise but audibly it's the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nfsundrgrnd For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #118
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
This is the clearest video example yet of the sound, and I can say with complete certainty that this is the exact same noise that mine is making when I do the throttle stab at resting idle on stock 2014 tune. After viewing the video, my friend described it as "the sound you sometimes hear when the car is close to stalling", say for example if you are lugging the engine and you're letting the clutch out too fast and it's about to die.

I don't even need to make a video now because it would be almost exactly the same sound as this video, but with varying volumes or tonal subtleties, etc.

I drove the car around for a bit pretty calm/normally, for about 40 mins, mixed use regular roads and freeways so say averaging 30mph and then up to 80mph. Everything felt great and the car felt healthy and like it had "normal" power for a twin with minimal mods. The low fuel light was close to coming on, so I stopped and filled up with 10 gallons of 76 91oct.

Only drove for 4 miles afterwards so I'm guessing that wasn't long enough for the adv multiplier to change, because it still showed as .68 when I checked. I didn't see @tomm.brz's updated tune until later today so it wasn't on the OFT I had with me. Instead, I decided to flash the "Stg-1-v4.03-LC-FSS-ZA1JB01C" OTS tune.

I did the 5 slow presses/depresses of the gas pedal immediately after the tune was finished flashing, before starting it for the first time. Then I let it idle for 2 or 3 mins after starting. Seemed to really help the throttle position learning, feels pretty much like it already got rid of 90% of the dead spot. I also tried to go really slowly in first gear up from resting to 5,200rpm, and then shift into second and do the same.

I tried to replicate the throttle stab from resting idle sound, but wasn't really able to do it upon my first several attempts. Eventually after I tried some more it did do it, but it was quieter than how it was on the stock tune. I noticed the resting idle was set to 750rpm instead of the stock tune's ~630rpm. Perhaps that has something to do with it? Most of the time it just made the induction noise, and that's it.

So, interesting observations so far! I have not had a chance to really do much driving on the v4 91 tune but on the drive home it felt pretty smooth and also noticeably different than stock. Will follow up with more this week as I log my minimal commuting miles. Might have to take it out on my lunch hour as well just to get some miles on the tune. Here's what it looked like after just a few miles on the new tune:
So, v4 tunes are not for 91oct, they are for 93octane and they let advance multiplier drop to adapt for lower octane

Here a V4 stage1 tune for you , with advance multiplier at 1 and timings for 91oct
also raised idle and revised some few things at low rpm, the bogging should be away Stg1_B01C_V4_91oct_Clipdat
Clipdat (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:53 AM   #119
tomm.brz

Quote:
I've only heard that sound while blipping at Idle though, nowhere else. Logs might say otherwise but audibly it's the same.
ok you can try this similar to the one for Clipdat
but a bit less timing

Stg1 A00C V4 91oct Nfsundrgrnd
Nfsundrgrnd (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #120
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah to my ears your car did the exact same thing.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:21 AM   #121
tomm.brz

Hearing now with some studio headphone and amplifier, it is similar yes
still his sounds more poppy to me
hope he can get a better video too
Old 04-10-2023, 08:40 AM   #122
Nfsundrgrnd

Quote:
Hearing now with some studio headphone and amplifier, it is similar yes
still his sounds more poppy to me
hope he can get a better video too
Should be getting someone to record the engine bay later today.

The difference between the 2 videos might be the amount of time the throttle is pressed. I would just Jab and release real quick but the gr86 video sounds more like when I keep applying throttle after the blip.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #123
tomm.brz

better so.. try the v4 i did for u too
Old 04-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #124
Nfsundrgrnd

Quote:
better so.. try the v4 i did for u too
Uploading the new v4 ATM and will have logs and a video in about a couple hours.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #125
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
So, v4 tunes are not for 91oct, they are for 93octane and they let advance multiplier drop to adapt for lower octane

Here a V4 stage1 tune for you , with advance multiplier at 1 and timings for 91oct
also raised idle and revised some few things at low rpm, the bogging should be away
Thanks @tomm.brz! Appreciate it. Will have to give this one a go sometime soon.

After just driving to work today (~5 miles), I checked OFT and STFT now at -1.56% (was 1.56% yesterday after flashing), and LTFT at 0.78% (was 4.68% yesterday). Throttle position still seems like it's learning and feels a bit awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #126
tomm.brz

don t look too much at stft, it can vary between -20 and +20 or more and be totally ok, ltft gives a wider look at the trend since ltft is basically the average of stft through time
Clipdat (04-10-2023)