follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #85
Bruce125

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really don't care for "one-price" car dealerships and I almost didn't buy the FR-S because of it. I grew up old school, "a penny saved is a penny earned" and I squeeze every dollar I can out of every major purchase. When I buy a new car I research the pricing online and also shop between 2-3 dealers to get the best deal. I realize Scion's profit margins may be lower than some cars and it will probably benefit those who don't like to haggle but I love the whole car buying process including negotiating the price to keep every dollar I can in my pocket.

I might have leaned towards getting the BRZ instead because of this but the only Subaru dealer around me is part of another import dealership that only stocks a few basic cars. Plus I really do like the FR-S better so I went with it. Love the car, hate "Pure Price"! For those of you who like it I can understand your reasoning and this is just my opinion. Everything else about my buying experience was great, loved the salesman and everyone at the dealership was great.
Bruce125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #86
Bruce125

At my dealership they had a few FR-S's that I looked at. None of them had a radio installed and mine was installed with the radio I chose (basic system) when I bought the car.

Thanks to this forum I knew how to set the radio to FR-S since it was set to TC when I picked up the car
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #87
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just signed for my FR-S, for $25000 flat. The carpet trunk mat was put in, and the rim locks were throw in free (only 70 bucks anyway).

The salesman they assigned me was only a year older than me. Young asian guy from around my area. By law of six degrees of separation, we actually know similar crowds of people. Beginner salesman and only been employed for a year, but had a history of driving all types of vehicles (buses, trucks, etc). Before I went for the test drive, he drove (went flying) around the neighborhood first in the test drive car. This guy had real good control over the car and knew what he was doing. He stated he had an FR-S himself and before that had a 350z.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #88
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce125 View Post
I really don't care for "one-price" car dealerships and I almost didn't buy the FR-S because of it. I grew up old school, "a penny saved is a penny earned" and I squeeze every dollar I can out of every major purchase. When I buy a new car I research the pricing online and also shop between 2-3 dealers to get the best deal. I realize Scion's profit margins may be lower than some cars and it will probably benefit those who don't like to haggle but I love the whole car buying process including negotiating the price to keep every dollar I can in my pocket.
Of course you don't like it, it's designed for people with 2 digit IQ's.

Scion: "we heard you guys don't like haggling, so we removed any ability to do just that!...now you pay full retail, awesome eh?".

Customer<with gaping mouth/mouth breather>: "duuuuh, yea!"
$300 over invoice is the most I've ever paid for a new car, usually it's around $200.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
Subie (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #89
SpaceCadet

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To me, this no haggle nonsense is huge slap in face to the customer that has any car buying experience. I imagine the usual Scion buyer before the FRS came out was not exactly a seasoned car shopper. They say this pure price thing is to help the customer with the headaches of car shopping, but for me it created way more problems than it solved. If I was a 19 year old kid looking to buy a base tC or whatever and I'm under the impression that I got a good deal because the dealer makes it seem like that's what everyone else is paying, then I leave happy and look back on a good buying experience. But I'm not stupid. Saturn used to pull this same crap. The manufacturer isn't going to set their no haggle, bottom line price at the lowest the dealer can afford. It is not uncommon for a customer to achieve that absolute bottom number if everything falls into place with other car brands. Walking into a Scion dealer, I know there is no way to achieve that number without playing with other things like trade in or whatever. I hated dealing with the manager and his excuse of "I can't do anything because of the pure price policy." Maybe if Scion wants to come off as a hip exclusive brand like a small restaurant in a big city that only takes cash and doesn't do custom orders, then fine. But don't make it seem like this pure price ridiculousness is for the buyer's benefit because it most certainly is not.

And to all those here who work at dealerships, no disrespect intended. We are all trying to maximize our take home amounts. But just like you are allowed to attempt to increase the margins between income and expense, so am I, which is why I try to make sure the dealer gets as little of my money as possible. It has nothing to do with trying to prevent you guys from making a profit but making sure I go home with everything I can.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpaceCadet For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (02-21-2013), Porsche (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #90
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
its fine... you like the price you buy it. if not go buy something else.

Right, the consumer isnt getting the best deal out there. but you know what you are paying before you even set foot into the door. its just like walking into mcdonalds and you say you dont want to pay $1 for a Soda. are they making money off it. SURE they are... prob more than you would like to know. And if you dont want to pay that then go buy your soda somewhere else. Will they negotiate with you on that soda or burger? of course not! so why should cars? I dunno

I hate negotiating prices when buying cars... I usually end up doing much better than most people but I dont like the experience.

Did I like the experience buying the Scion vs buying any other car? Not particularly... makes no difference to me. but its sad to see how I can walk out the door with a car $2000 less than the next person who cant negotiate was well as i can.
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EBMCS03 For This Useful Post:
Porsche (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #91
quasi86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S m/t Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
To me, this no haggle nonsense is huge slap in face to the customer that has any car buying experience. I imagine the usual Scion buyer before the FRS came out was not exactly a seasoned car shopper. They say this pure price thing is to help the customer with the headaches of car shopping, but for me it created way more problems than it solved. If I was a 19 year old kid looking to buy a base tC or whatever and I'm under the impression that I got a good deal because the dealer makes it seem like that's what everyone else is paying, then I leave happy and look back on a good buying experience. But I'm not stupid. Saturn used to pull this same crap. The manufacturer isn't going to set their no haggle, bottom line price at the lowest the dealer can afford. It is not uncommon for a customer to achieve that absolute bottom number if everything falls into place with other car brands. Walking into a Scion dealer, I know there is no way to achieve that number without playing with other things like trade in or whatever. I hated dealing with the manager and his excuse of "I can't do anything because of the pure price policy." Maybe if Scion wants to come off as a hip exclusive brand like a small restaurant in a big city that only takes cash and doesn't do custom orders, then fine. But don't make it seem like this pure price ridiculousness is for the buyer's benefit because it most certainly is not.

Let Me Straighten This Out For You Bud. I Do Work At A Dealership And I Know What You Are Thinking But The "Pure Price" Is Real And Toyota Goes Through A Very Cut And Dry Audit Process To Ensure The Dealership Is Following This Policy. Every Scion Sale Is Subject To An Audit By An Independent Firm That Goes To The Dealership Directly. If The Dealership Is Found To Be Discounting Or ADDING DEALER PROFIT they Could Face Losing 30% Of TheirFuture Shipments Of Scion Products! If They Continue To Break Policy They Will Lose The Scion Franchise Completely.

And to all those here who work at dealerships, no disrespect intended. We are all trying to maximize our take home amounts. But just like you are allowed to attempt to increase the margins between income and expense, so am I, which is why I try to make sure the dealer gets as little of my money as possible. It has nothing to do with trying to prevent you guys from making a profit but making sure I go home with everything I can.
I Will Also Tell You That All Of The Scion Vehicles Have Less Than 5% Mark-up! If You Are The Avid Car Buyer You Claim To Be You Should Recognize That Asking For A $1000 Profit On A Vehicle That Costs $24K Is More Than Reasonable.

Pure Pricing Also Means That There Will Never Be A $1000 In 3 Months That You Won't Get. It Also Means Your Resale Value Will Remain Higher Than 90% Of The Vehicles Made.

Also Please Do Not Compare Toyota / scion With GM / Saturn. Shit Man When I Read That I Puked In My Mouth A Little.

And Just To Set The Stake On This "The Sales Manager His Behind Pure price". I Paid The Scion Pure PRice Plus The Dealer Admin Fee. Just Like My Customer Who Took One Home One Today.
dparnell (07-29-2014)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #92
Bruce125

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
....Pure Pricing Also Means That There Will Never Be A $1000 In 3 Months That You Won't Get.
This probably isn't 100% correct. Last month when I got my car there was a TC on the showroom floor that was discounted $500, it had in big print right on the windshield $500.00 Discount. I believe it was one of the remaining 2012's they were trying to sell. While I doubt this would ever happen with the FR-S, at least not for a while, if I had purchased a TC in November and came back a few weeks later and saw them discounted $500 I wouldn't be very happy after all the "Pure Price" talk.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #93
SpaceCadet

Drives: Raven FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi86 View Post
Let Me Straighten This Out For You Bud. I Do Work At A Dealership And I Know What You Are Thinking But The "Pure Price" Is Real And Toyota Goes Through A Very Cut And Dry Audit Process To Ensure The Dealership Is Following This Policy. Every Scion Sale Is Subject To An Audit By An Independent Firm That Goes To The Dealership Directly. If The Dealership Is Found To Be Discounting Or ADDING DEALER PROFIT they Could Face Losing 30% Of TheirFuture Shipments Of Scion Products! If They Continue To Break Policy They Will Lose The Scion Franchise Completely.
Of course toyota is going to meticulously audit all scion dealerships to make sure they are following the policies. Pure price only works if every dealer abides by its regulations. If one dealer goes rogue, the whole system by definition collapses. Nothing new here.
...and why do you cap every word? It must take you a long time to type.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #94
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I must be naive because I don't understand, so someone please explain (no flaming). If everyone is paying the SAME price for the car, then that by definition is its market value (ie, you have to pay that price to get the item) and then therefore by default, you've automatically gotten the best possible price because that is the ONLY price. There is no negotiation. For anyone.

Please counter with legitimate rebuttals only.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #95
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
I must be naive because I don't understand, so someone please explain (no flaming). If everyone is paying the SAME price for the car, then that by definition is its market value (ie, you have to pay that price to get the item) and then therefore by default, you've automatically gotten the best possible price because that is the ONLY price. There is no negotiation. For anyone.

Scion dealers HAVE to sell the cars at the base price that scion says. The reason people complain about the price is because by the time we get our cars theyre rittled with ridculous dealer addons therefore adding an extra 1-2 grand into the base price. Id have no problem paying base price. Its the 800 dollar stereo, 400 dollar paint protection, 115 dollar wheel locks etc. That I had a hard time justifying. But I really wanted my car so I paid for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #96
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post

That's the way I see it.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #97
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Huh so Scion is even more inconsistent than I could have possibly imagined! I appreciate the stories, further confirms my decision to not buy another Toyota if I can help it.
Sounds pretty weak to me, scion is inconsistent. Give me a break, every single car mfg out there has these problems. Are you buying a car or a lifetime love affair with the sales team. Your just buying a car, whats the big deal. If you dont want to buy a car because they put a bumper protector on it without your approval, and didnt have smarts to have it reduced to half price since u didnt ask for it , or completely removed, please dont buy another as your degrading the gene pool.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #98
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Scion dealers HAVE to sell the cars at the base price that scion says. The reason people complain about the price is because by the time we get our cars theyre rittled with ridculous dealer addons therefore adding an extra 1-2 grand into the base price. Id have no problem paying base price. Its the 800 dollar stereo, 400 dollar paint protection, 115 dollar wheel locks etc. That I had a hard time justifying. But I really wanted my car so I paid for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OK, this I understand and would be pissed if I was forced to pay for what I don't want. I guess it varies by area, but where I live I've been able to find pretty much stock cars so it hasn't affected me too much.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote