follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #589
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So did that take care of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
I finally found the source of my BRZ's "ticking". I'll post more details if anyone thinks they may have the same issue, but for now I'll keep it short.

It was coming from the brackets that mount the rear seat to the car's frame. No, not the hooks on the top that have been mentioned before, but the brackets on each side at the base of the rear seat. I didn't take any pictures, but you can see what I'm talking about in this write-up explaining how to remove the rear seat. It's the black bracket on each side (labeled "hidden bracket" in the linked post).

I removed the bottom part of the seats, loosened the three bolts of each bracket, added some grease behind the bracket and re-tightened them. That was it. For good measure, I went back later and added some thin adhesive felt where the brackets make contact with the frame of the car, but that may not even be necessary.

So if you hear a ticking/cracking sound when backing down the driveway, hitting a bump or taking a sharp turn, this may be something to investigate.
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #590
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
So did that take care of it?
Yup, sure did. Upon closer inspection, there were a few bent/crooked metal lock washers that I suspect were the cause. Flattened them out and re-assembled, problem solved.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #591
drifter-s

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Garage
After fixing a couple other rattles from the deck, I discovered there were still some coming from somewhere. I pinpointed mine to the rear corner panels where the rear deck and window meet.

There are two white clips that secure the panel and they are not the most secure. I used rubber cement (easily removable/reversible) along the base of the clips to better secure them (sorry no pics). I left the clips secured to the panel and brushed the rubber cement along the base of the clip and clip attachment point on the panel. Reinstalled and no rattles to speak of!

Be careful when removing the panels initially. The clips like to fall out.
Attached Images

drifter-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drifter-s For This Useful Post:
CJB (09-06-2014), MJones_RB (05-19-2017), nzer (08-31-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #592
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I am having the same issue, I will investigate the matter soon. I will be posting a thread.
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #593
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@Mikeez
lol
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #594
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I had forgotten all about this, but now that i think about it, my car has stopped popping from the rear deck. Either that, or I just don't notice it anymore. But I don't think that's it, because it used to annoy the $hit out of me.

I'm not really sure when it quit, but I don't recall hearing it for some time now. I've got just shy of 20k miles on it. Maybe all the spot welds eventually broke loose on their own.

Other than a driver's side window seal that rolls over and causes a slight air leak, I don't really have any squeaks or rattles in my 2013.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #595
Ayrton

Drives: 86 HS AFE filter, BRZ Xors, Kaymak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
I finally found the source of my BRZ's "ticking". I'll post more details if anyone thinks they may have the same issue, but for now I'll keep it short.

It was coming from the brackets that mount the rear seat to the car's frame. No, not the hooks on the top that have been mentioned before, but the brackets on each side at the base of the rear seat. I didn't take any pictures, but you can see what I'm talking about in this write-up explaining how to remove the rear seat. It's the black bracket on each side (labeled "hidden bracket" in the linked post).

I removed the bottom part of the seats, loosened the three bolts of each bracket, added some grease behind the bracket and re-tightened them. That was it. For good measure, I went back later and added some thin adhesive felt where the brackets make contact with the frame of the car, but that may not even be necessary.

So if you hear a ticking/cracking sound when backing down the driveway, hitting a bump or taking a sharp turn, this may be something to investigate.
Thanks man! Absolutely spot on. That knock was driving me crazy! Did as you said and hey presto! No noise since I repaired last month. Very pleased.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #596
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Thanks man! Absolutely spot on. That knock was driving me crazy! Did as you said and hey presto! No noise since I repaired last month. Very pleased.
Glad to help! Still noise free on my end.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJB For This Useful Post:
Ayrton (10-15-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #597
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
After messing with this off and on for awhile and quieting some things down, I still have the loudest/worst sound.

I'm convinced it is the seat latches. If I put the rear seat down it stops and if I grab the release handle and shake it a bit, the latch mechanism inside the rear seat back makes what sounds like the same thing I'm hearing. Because it is inside the trunk when it happens, it's LOUD.

I shoved a piece of foam down into the latch area, but it hasn't seemed to do much. The problem is there's NO space to get anything in there to tighten up the wobbliness in the latches. I tried various things and so far nothing working. This weekend I'll try putting something on the brackets the latches grab onto. Perhaps making them latch tighter will stop them from moving around.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #598
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
After messing with this off and on for awhile and quieting some things down, I still have the loudest/worst sound.

I'm convinced it is the seat latches. If I put the rear seat down it stops and if I grab the release handle and shake it a bit, the latch mechanism inside the rear seat back makes what sounds like the same thing I'm hearing. Because it is inside the trunk when it happens, it's LOUD.

I shoved a piece of foam down into the latch area, but it hasn't seemed to do much. The problem is there's NO space to get anything in there to tighten up the wobbliness in the latches. I tried various things and so far nothing working. This weekend I'll try putting something on the brackets the latches grab onto. Perhaps making them latch tighter will stop them from moving around.
I wrapped the seat latch bracket piece so it latches on tighter and that got rid of the rattles for me. I used frost king felt weatherseal and double sided 3m tape.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #599
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ok, I stuck a piece of double sided tape on each seat latch U and I think (fingers crossed!) it may have gotten rid of the really loud and annoying popping and clunking.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #600
Limited

Drives: Monogram FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I recently noticed the clicking noise 15K miles in...searched the forums, found this post, followed the instructions using WD40, and sanity restored! Thank you OP!

Last edited by Limited; 02-01-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limited For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (02-01-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #601
Mikepage

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Rear Deck "popping/clicking/tapping/ticking" noise.

You can fix it also permanently with my DIY because I thing only with WD40 the problem will came back... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44636

Mikepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #602
lugao

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hey guys, I just complained about my rear deck popping sound on my 2015 BRZ to the dealership near me and I told them that there is a TSB for this (12-140-12), The said that the TSB only applies to 2012 BRZs. Is this true? Thanks in advance!
lugao is offline   Reply With Quote