follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Nice detailed thread!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Cold start was still to loud

So, now, my current exhaust is a Tomei UEL header, Ultrex 2.5" overpipe, OEM front pipe back.

Going to the smaller pipe isn't a worry as calculations say that 2 1/4" will flow more than enough NA.

And the OEM front pipe will flow the power its making without much of a issue and will save the kittens and frogs for future generations, which is a bonus.

In all honesty I wish I just did the header and overpipe to start with.

Or, stayed with the decat OEM header, 2 5" catless overpipe and 2.5" cat back, the only issue with that is the trail of dead kittens and frogs in my wake.

Like all things it was a lesson, albeit a slightly costly one.

Dooh.

So what's the verdict on power vs the decatted stock header?

Are you still running the same tune as the decatted header?
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #31
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
So what's the verdict on power vs the decatted stock header?

Are you still running the same tune as the decatted header?
Stock decat header flows well, I made 198hp, with no cats

Yeap, till on same tune, will retune in a month or two, this time with stock exhaust from overpipe back.

It will be interesting to see what I now have power wise.

Until then the jury is out.

The car doesn't really "feel" any different power wise, only real noticable change is it isn't as loud.

In all seriousness, it's only a 2 ltr that revs to 7isk k rpm, the 2.25" OEM exhaust should flow 200hp easily, the cat in the header and front pipe is the only real restriction.

The OEM header actually has larger diameter primaries to the Tomei headers, both EL and UEL.

I would like to see what a twin makes with a full decat on the OEM exhaust, with a proper tune of course, not a quick flash or 1 or 2 remote edits.

I would hazard to guess you could easily get close to 200hpatw, all for the cost of some hammer time, gaskets and dyno time.

Last edited by 86MLR; 05-24-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Spelling and stuff
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #32
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Cold start was still to loud

So, now, my current exhaust is a Tomei UEL header, Ultrex 2.5" overpipe, OEM front pipe back.

Going to the smaller pipe isn't a worry as calculations say that 2 1/4" will flow more than enough NA.

And the OEM front pipe will flow the power its making without much of a issue and will save the kittens and frogs for future generations, which is a bonus.

In all honesty I wish I just did the header and overpipe to start with.

Or, stayed with the decat OEM header, 2 5" catless overpipe and 2.5" cat back, the only issue with that is the trail of dead kittens and frogs in my wake.

Like all things it was a lesson, albeit a slightly costly one.

Dooh.

This may be obvious, I don't know, but why is the UEL so much louder than a decatted stock header. I thought both would be close to the same and it was the CAT that suppressed noise.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #33
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
This may be obvious, I don't know, but why is the UEL so much louder than a decatted stock header. I thought both would be close to the same and it was the CAT that suppressed noise.
I assume it's the very short runners on 1 and 3.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #34
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
I assume it's the very short runners on 1 and 3.

Thanks man
Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #35
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Thanks man
From a quick look:

Exhaust gas will create a boundary layer inside the exhaust, in effect lowering the ID.

The longer the exhaust, the greater the effect, the other effect, apart from reduced flow is noise cancellation.

The UEL header has about 1/5 (rough guess) the pipe length on 1 and 3 to the collector at the overpipe.

The thing is you need to try and keep the exhaust port and primary faily typical, until the collector, the primary length should be so the exhaust pulses follow each other through the collector into the secondary or collector, and finally to promote and increase scavenging.

Hence why EL 4-2-1 headers rule for power everywhere, it's simple fluid dynamics.

The thing is at low power levels, this matching pulses isn't so critical, and other UEL characteristics can show their hand, to a point, this is what I want to look at.

I was willing to "risk it for the biscuit", and, after the tune, if I end up making less power overall I will just throw the decated OEM header back on, go back to the old tune and sell the UEL header.

I will be grabbing some more data this week to see if it has lost anything pre-retune.

As I stated before though, the only reason I went UEL was all the UEL hype, I had to see for myself.

Was it a waste of money? Maybe, but it has been a fun little trip with alot of first hand lessons learnt, which is the way I like it and what playing with cars is all about.

Next adventure may be to see how a Harrop supercharger goes, that won't be for a while though, my car fund has been accosted by my holiday fund.

Opinions may vary
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
JesseG (02-25-2020), mrg666 (11-23-2019), new2subaru (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #36
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
From a quick look:

Exhaust gas will create a boundary layer inside the exhaust, in effect lowering the ID.

The longer the exhaust, the greater the effect, the other effect, apart from reduced flow is noise cancellation.

The UEL header has about 1/5 (rough guess) the pipe length on 1 and 3 to the collector at the overpipe.

The thing is you need to try and keep the exhaust port and primary faily typical, until the collector, the primary length should be so the exhaust pulses follow each other through the collector into the secondary or collector, and finally to promote and increase scavenging.

Hence why EL 4-2-1 headers rule for power everywhere, it's simple fluid dynamics.

The thing is at low power levels, this matching pulses isn't so critical, and other UEL characteristics can show their hand, to a point, this is what I want to look at.

I was willing to "risk it for the biscuit", and, after the tune, if I end up making less power overall I will just throw the decated OEM header back on, go back to the old tune and sell the UEL header.

I will be grabbing some more data this week to see if it has lost anything pre-retune.

As I stated before though, the only reason I went UEL was all the UEL hype, I had to see for myself.

Was it a waste of money? Maybe, but it has been a fun little trip with alot of first hand lessons learnt, which is the way I like it and what playing with cars is all about.

Next adventure may be to see how a Harrop supercharger goes, that won't be for a while though, my car fund has been accosted by my holiday fund.

Opinions may vary

Thanks for the detail. I don't understand it and that bothers me. I'll do some more research eventually. I too will be doing a header at some point or maybe just gutting the cat

Nothing is a waste if you learn something from it. Me, I read a lot of hype about losing weight so I did some basic weight reduction, maybe 80lbs or so. I was like

I left it out because I didn't really need it anyways but it certainly didn't make me want to do more. Last year I needed to get rid of my headliner as I needed more room for a helmet. I gutted the entire interior to remove it including the passenger seat. While out I took it for a drive. Bam! Now I know what all the hype is about. I'm currently at 2489lbs and going lighter. It's made a massive difference on how the car feels and behaves.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #37
86MLR

Punched out cat in front pipe.

Had a play.

Tomei UEL header showed no gains over the punched out OEM header.

Hell, the punched out OEM cats with the 2.25" OEM stuff showed typical gains to the Tomei UEL with 2.5" catless exhaust.

I will be reinstalling the punched out header and selling the Tomei.

Making more noise for no extra performance is pointless.

I'm thinking of keeping it NA and a cheap daily, maybe building something else for fun, I've crunched some numbers and to get any worthwhile power gains, with reliability, I could buy and build a different chassis for half the cost.

Maybe another motorbike?

Time to start looking in the classifieds again, more, still.....
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
JesseG (02-25-2020)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #38
86MLR

LOL

So......

Boredom and interwebs shopping happened.....again.....autosalon style...LOL

Nothing special, just a bracket that replaces the black chunky bracket/cover that, umm, cover the rail and injectors.

The black box is the control unit for the fuel injection, or.....the flux capacitor.....

Pointless, yeah, but a quick little mod that removes the chunky horrible unbelievably heavy steel covers.

Check out the cool sticker, GAS GAS GAS, at least 11ty extra hypnopowers....
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
86MLR

More boredom, more eBay
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #40
86MLR

Got bored

There is a SME 2.5" resonated front pipe now, replacing the punched out OEM front pipe.

The exhaust was a little "tinny" at high RPM, the resonator has fixed that.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #41
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,131 Posts
How much louder was the decatted OE header vs with the cat?

Looking at options for my Corsa and this may be worth an experiment if it's reasonable.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #42
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
How much louder was the decatted OE header vs with the cat?

Looking at options for my Corsa and this may be worth an experiment if it's reasonable.
Cold start had alot of bark, apart from that it was good.

The resonated front pipe knocked out some of the bark at cold start, I ended up with a single resonator, positioned where the cat was.

The car is a pleasant place to be on the hwy now, cabin noise is well down, and cold start isn't obnoxious.

If I was going to do it again I would get the duel resonated front pipe, all of the advantages of a straight pipe, but none of the noise.

Pity you are in the US, you could have my old decatted front pipe to test with.

Have fun with your project