follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ

Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Stoptech Brake Upgrade kit

Hey guys! So my first week owning my new BRZ, I got in an accident with a driver who turned in front of me as I was going through an intersection with a green light. It was completely her fault, so there wasn't much I can do. However, I can't help but feel that if I had better brakes, I would've been able to stop in time. I found stoptechs upgrade kit on ft86speedfactory and have been considering it. I use my car as a DD, and have no plans to ever track it, but I do plan to do some spirited driving. Will this suit my needs? I know nothing about brakes honestly and can't afford a big brake kit and I feel that will be overkill for my needs anyway.

Here is the link for reference. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/stop...l#.Vt83cPkrKUk
hypebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
better tires will help more in braking
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-08-2016), Fenix (03-09-2016), kch (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Before doing that why not just upgrade your pads and rotors. That is much cheaper and get quite a bit extra stopping power out of it. I like my frozen Stoptec slotted rotors and hawk hp+ pads. But no matter how much stopping power you have you can only stop as fast as the tires you have on the car. That and not all accidents are avoidable. Hence why they are called accidents.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Also, maybe try slowing down a bit... or maybe you just need some more seat time, sounds like you are younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypebrz View Post
I don't ever street race, but I speed everywhere I go. Even to work or to the store, and zipping through heavy traffic. It's a thrill, especially in a twin. I've never hit a thing because of what other people would call my "reckless" driving. I know my cars limits, I know my limits, and believe it or not, I'm really cautious and safe regardless of what my speedometer says lol. I'd say it's "Wreckless driving" lol a mix of reckless driving but still cautious enough to not be stupid
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-08-2016), jasonojordan (03-08-2016), kch (03-09-2016), slicktop (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
hypebrz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
better tires will help more in braking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Before doing that why not just upgrade your pads and rotors. That is much cheaper and get quite a bit extra stopping power out of it. I like my frozen Stoptec slotted rotors and hawk hp+ pads. But no matter how much stopping power you have you can only stop as fast as the tires you have on the car. That and not all accidents are avoidable. Hence why they are called accidents.
Any recommendations for good DD and weekend fun tires? I live in Texas so there is never snow, or harsh conditions. Hardly ever rains here either. I just want tires that grip well and low road noise
Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
hypebrz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Also, maybe try slowing down a bit... or maybe you just need some more seat time, sounds like you are younger
Yessir, I am 19. However this ONE time I wasn't speeding at all lol
Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have Continental DW. Have worked great both on my wrx and now my brz. They have a pretty stiff sidewall so ride comfort does suffer a bit but it takes quite a bit to push these tires over the edge.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,245 Times in 2,965 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
The main goal of big brake kits is to increase thermal capacity and efficiency, meaning make them last longer before they overheat.

The kit you mentioned is more of an OEM replacement (and a decent one at that). Really a minimal change in performance, slight improvement in feel.

As others have mentioned...to really improve stopping distances you need to switch to a stickier tire.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
hypebrz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The main goal of big brake kits is to increase thermal capacity and efficiency, meaning make them last longer before they overheat.

The kit you mentioned is more of an OEM replacement (and a decent one at that). Really a minimal change in performance, slight improvement in feel.

As others have mentioned...to really improve stopping distances you need to switch to a stickier tire.

- Andrew
Would this kit and stickier tires make much of a difference over OEM brakes and just upgrading tires?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
fluffy-reindeer-slayer

Drives: fr-s and tc2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bf goodrich sport comp 2 work well here in sa weather ive had a lot of diffrent tires and these for the price cant be beat, if your running 17 inch rims espino on san pedro can hook you up for around 600 installed. and they usually have the tires within a day. also be mindful of stupid people driving, especially around the 151 area.haha
fluffy-reindeer-slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fluffy-reindeer-slayer For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
hypebrz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy-reindeer-slayer View Post
bf goodrich sport comp 2 work well here in sa weather ive had a lot of diffrent tires and these for the price cant be beat, if your running 17 inch rims espino on san pedro can hook you up for around 600 installed. and they usually have the tires within a day. also be mindful of stupid people driving, especially around the 151 area.haha
151, 1604, and 410 haha, so much construction around the city is getting drivers heated
Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #12
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,245 Times in 2,965 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypebrz View Post
Would this kit and stickier tires make much of a difference over OEM brakes and just upgrading tires?
Not much if any. The pads are slightly better than stock but shouldn't have much of a difference in stopping distance.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #13
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
+1 on getting upgraded tires. Even the stock brakes will overwhelm the stock tires, I had it happen to me a few times.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
hypebrz (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #14
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
do you remember if you locked up your brakes? if you can lock up your brakes, then your current brakes are fine. you just need stickier summer tires. go on tirerack and see what your options are under extreme summer performance. no matter how good your brakes or tires are though, they will not prevent every single accident on the road. most of it is to do with your driving style and always be paying attention. if you saw the other car inching forward, you should have already been off the gas and floating your foot over the brakes or checking your mirrors to make sure you have room to change lanes.

considering you are on the fence about a BBK, just get slightly more track-oriented brake pads and a fluid swap for now. maybe SS brake lines if you want, but it's not really required. see how you like that set up with stickier tires before spending 1k+ for a BBK. I am running Winmax W5 pads, SS lines, and Torque RT700 fluid on stock rotors and the braking is extremely good. at the end of the straight running CCW on SoW, braking for that tight 180 turn almost rips off my face lol

good thing you are safe though.

EDIT: looked at your link and you will probably get better performance for your buck if you piece your parts together yourself. you don't really need new rotors unless yours are almost gone