follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #85
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That's assuming you park it, or put very minimal miles on it. Putting miles on ANY car causes it to depreciate, regardless of its rarity. I suppose some ultra-rare car might appreciate even if you drove it, but at a slower pace than if you did not drive it at all.

An NSX isn't rare enough, in my opinion, to fall into that category. (There are 55 of them listed on Autotrader alone as I type this).
Tell that to the prices that have rose over the last 4 years or so. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay and NSX owners think their cars are worth quite a bit. I found an NSX I wanted to purchase locally, and according to NSXPrime value guides it should have been worth around 47k and the guy would not budge off his $65k price for it. It was on a really crappy used car lot, not sure what he paid for it, but I lost all interest.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #86
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Tell that to the prices that have rose over the last 4 years or so. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay and NSX owners think their cars are worth quite a bit. I found an NSX I wanted to purchase locally, and according to NSXPrime value guides it should have been worth around 47k and the guy would not budge off his $65k price for it. It was on a really crappy used car lot, not sure what he paid for it, but I lost all interest.

I'm not denying that prices on a few cars rise over time above inflation rates but only to the extent the condition and mileage on the car doesn't change much over the same period.

Your message sorta goes to my point. As you said, folks can ask whatever they like, its what they sell for that matters. The question is whether or not he managed to sell it for that price, which was above book.

Had you bought it for that price, and continued to drive it, without putting any significant money into it to restore it to create a car actually worth that price, it would not be worth more than that for quite some time, and then again, only if it becomes "rare" to the point that better examples are no longer available.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #87
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get a Pantera.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #88
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Problem with a race car is that you can only drive it at the track. In three years, when he has a baby, he won't be able to go near a track for ages.
Only drive it at the track.

Right, and?

To play with a sports car how a sports car is intended to be played with usually requires a track of some kind. Trying to play with it, how it's meant to be played with anywhere else is often illegal.

As for children.. just about everyone I race with has children. Sure some people have kids and stop racing but most folks still keep racing. Maybe they take a year off or downsize their operation, but the race car isn't depreciating when it sits so taking some time off isn't a big deal. Racing doesn't have to be that expensive either depending on what you choose to race. Do it right and the tow-vehicle doubles as an excellent family vehicle: Expedition, excursion, yukon, suburban, van, sequoia, etc etc. Do it even more right and the tow vehicle becomes a motorhome and the wife/children are comfortable at the track.

P.s. You want your children to be surrounded by high-caliber people and learn real world applications about why they need to learn math and engineering... A race track is that place, specifically a road-racing track. You don't need a good education and a good job to play a stick/ball game but you do need those things to play with race cars and the bigger/faster the race car the more money you gotta make. It's excellent motivation to live an above-average life.
Atropine (07-22-2014), strat61caster (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #89
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wait 2 or 3 more years and get an 08 GT-R
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDubbinTDI For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #90
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I often have this quandary and here is how I see it.The best car period will be a nice gently used Porsche 911 Carrera S (or plain 911). For all out fun, reliability, heritage etc you cannot beat it and everyone knows it.

That being said, there are a plethora of other unique options like a C7 Vette, Exige, M3, GT-R etc. that offer a slightly different take on the sports car. Best bet is to make a list, shorten it down to 5 or 6 cars and get some seat time in them.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #91
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post

1 Last thing...I tend to prefer FR and MR layout.

Also, I am more interested in a Sports Car rather than a Muscle Car.
I found your car. Go buy it now, then come over to my house and pick me up for a test drive.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...wapped-242458/

2006 Elise - Honda K24

edit:
Atropine (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #92
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if you instruct for a living or as a side job, but I cannot get to the track often. I have to plan about half a year in advance to get the open time. I can, however, wag the tail of the FR-S often, most anywhere. A race car doesn't have that option. Even if I were willing to drive one on the street and risk an impound, it wouldn't do well with the bumps of real roads. Most people would take 18 years off before going back to racing unless their wife is also into racing, which is relatively rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Only drive it at the track.

Right, and?

To play with a sports car how a sports car is intended to be played with usually requires a track of some kind. Trying to play with it, how it's meant to be played with anywhere else is often illegal.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #93
rice_classic

Quote:
I don't know if you instruct for a living or as a side job, but I cannot get to the track often. I have to plan about half a year in advance to get the open time. I can, however, wag the tail of the FR-S often, most anywhere. A race car doesn't have that option. Even if I were willing to drive one on the street and risk an impound, it wouldn't do well with the bumps of real roads. Most people would take 18 years off before going back to racing unless their wife is also into racing, which is relatively rare.

Common phrase I've heard at the track: "Well my first 2 wives weren't into racing..."

Another common expression from a friend of mine.. "The solution to most of our problems is simple: make more money."
EAGLE5 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #94
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
BTW a little clarification about the kids thing...

Together we came up with the idea of having kids in a "year or two".

My wife is 7 years younger than me though...so last weekend she admitted that she would like to wait 3-4 years to have a kid (which puts here at age 30ish).

It is also her idea for me to get another sports car.

She just wants me to not swap out for a long time.

She also stated she would be more comfortable with me getting something newer, and I understand this...because I get antsy whenever a car I have ends up in the shop.

Soooo...here is what I am heavily looking into now...I almost bought it last weekend, I even signed a few papers before saying I needed to sleep on it.

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-car...ctual_~Year_/6

In person...it is flawless.

I wanted to come on here to see what others thought, because the Twins forum is where DRIVERS live.

Other car forums I have been on, such as the Challenger Forum...they just wanted HP/Torque and quarter mile times...and that was all that was important.

Just a little disclaimer, as many of you know...humble braggers and attention whores annoy me (CjSporl comes to mind). This has not been a bragging thread or a "ooohh look at what I am gonna get!" thread.

I have weighed and researched EVERY car listed.

BTW that k24 powered lotus...that thing would be a BLAST I am sure.

Eventually my decision came down to 4 cars...
RX7
NSX
Cayman
Elise/Exige

RX7 and NSX would be really old, and the wife understandably kinda was not supportive of those choices...

The Elise/Exige is really close to my current Miata...hyper-light that is fun to toss around.

The Cayman R...well it just outclassed the Elise and Exige when put side by side.

Also, the wife loved the interior (as do I) and the styling. Plus when we first met, I had a Boxster S and she loved that car.

She isn't much of a driver, but shes a "rider" for sure..if ya know what I mean

But on a serious note, she loves going with me on mountain/and canyon Runs.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #95
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
P.s. You want your children to be surrounded by high-caliber people and learn real world applications about why they need to learn math and engineering... A race track is that place, specifically a road-racing track. You don't need a good education and a good job to play a stick/ball game but you do need those things to play with race cars and the bigger/faster the race car the more money you gotta make. It's excellent motivation to live an above-average life.
95% of the reason I got an engineering degree was because my dad took me racing as a teenager and I loved it and wanted to understand it as much as possible. Kids can jump in a car as young as 5 years old and start figuring out oversteer and understeer along with smooth steering and throttle inputs.

Edit: I got into circle track racing, I'd argue it gives you more insight into car setup and fine tuning your senses and inputs since you're right on the limit most of the time and since you're targeting 4 spots on the track (entry,exit,entry,exit, repeat) you can really dial in and notice small changes have a meaningful impact on your laptime while on a large road course an adjustment to your car or mindset could aid in 2-3 corners but lose you something in others, but that's sacrilege in the internet car community blah blah blah F1 drivers nobody is better meanwhile JPM could set F1 track records and win races but couldn't keep himself in a stock car. Sorry that devolved a bit there...

If we hadn't gone racing I'd be driving a 15 year old Camry trying to make my English degree work right now.

@Atropine I think you made the right call, Porsche really does have the offering nailed down, enjoy!

Last edited by strat61caster; 07-23-2014 at 04:21 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Atropine (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #96
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Cayman S 100%. Unless you like the Design Edition, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it. That's a lot of money for a Cayman of its age.

And did it have the driveline fix that can cost thousands?

And you do realize that 1 year later they got a good-sized power boost.

Last edited by EAGLE5; 07-23-2014 at 03:25 AM.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Atropine (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #97
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I have not driven a 986 or 987 before, but if you're willing to drop 43k on a Cayman, maybe you should consider a DFI engine one. The 2.7 in the 981 is a hell of a lot of fun and the noises it makes are great. A 3.4L doesn't let you enjoy the noise as much since it propels you past the speed limit faster. Remember you can have a 981 for only a little over 50k before tax.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #98
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Cayman S 100%. Unless you like the Design Edition, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it. That's a lot of money for a Cayman of its age.

And did it have the driveline fix that can cost thousands?

And you do realize that 1 year later they got a good-sized power boost.
I do like the looks and feel of the Design Edition...but if getting an 09 would be a substantial upgrade in power...I would definitely look into that.

I haven't ever priced a Cayman before, so I don't really know what a good price is.

Definitely going to keep looking...and haven't ruled out a Lotus of sorts yet either.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote