follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #57
JamsRunFree

Drives: Ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mines got the rattle to took it to dealer and was able to
Make rattle it always happens at about 25mph or less when I'm coasting to a stop car is in neutral dealer said it has to do with rpm drop and Toyota is aware of the problem and they're working on some kind of flash update for it but I noticed recently it only rattles when ac is on and rpms don't drop we'll they drop to about 600 before it starts to rattle but when it's rattling they don't drop they said they were going to keep in touch but they never called back so has anybody got this fixed???!

Oh and the noise I'm talking about is not the DI I'm aware of the ticking
JamsRunFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
ArKiTeCkT

Drives: 2010 Gen Coupe, 2013 BRZ 6MT S.Tech
Well said.... I have the noises too but as long as it runs im fine. But recently I haven't heard the noise and i'm at 13000km.
ArKiTeCkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
Sookainian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsRunFree View Post
Mines got the rattle to took it to dealer and was able to
Make rattle it always happens at about 25mph or less when I'm coasting to a stop car is in neutral dealer said it has to do with rpm drop and Toyota is aware of the problem and they're working on some kind of flash update for it but I noticed recently it only rattles when ac is on and rpms don't drop we'll they drop to about 600 before it starts to rattle but when it's rattling they don't drop they said they were going to keep in touch but they never called back so has anybody got this fixed???!

Oh and the noise I'm talking about is not the DI I'm aware of the ticking
Same here, i'm also having the same problem. Any fix or update ?
Sookainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #60
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Since the Lexus IS-F uses a similar Direct Injection to ours, can anyone who has ever driven one or owned one chime in on this? Does your IS-F do the same thing?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #61
JamsRunFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookainian View Post
Same here, i'm also having the same problem. Any fix or update ?
No fix yet Toyotas working on it take it to dealer to get it documented the more complaints about this issue the faster it will get fixed.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #62
Sookainian

Just wondering, is this the same issue as the "CEL/SL/Idle Issue List for FR-S/BRZ Owners" ?

Also I’ve notice, if I drive until 100mph, clutch in and put it into neutral gear and let the car roll to a stop without stepping on the brake, after a few seconds, the engine will drop below 600rpm and go back to 700rpm. It will continue doing this a few times. Until the car comes to a complete stop. Plus when the rpm drop below 600, it will have a rattling sound.

So its like,
100mph - clutch in - let it roll - few seconds later - rpm drop below 600 - rattle sound - rpm go back to 700 - rattle sound disappear - few seconds again - rpm drop below 600 - rattle sound - rpm go back to 700 - rattle sound disappear. And it will continue until car reach a complete stop.

Can anyone try and let me know is yours like that to ?

I've only done 200mile on my 86.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #63
BentAnat

Drives: 2013 86 STD SPW
I honestly wouldn't be too concerned. The problem seems SO common, that if it is a real issue, Toyota will no doubt sort it out by means of a recall. It also doesn't sound "broken" per se to my (untrained, but somewhat experienced) ears.

It seems RPM related and gear related, meaning it could well be a harmonic issue.

At the end of the day: If it's a manufacturing fault, there will be a recall. If it breaks something, your warranty will sort it out.
If it's not giving you warnings and you ran it in the way you should, it's all good.

Enjoy your cars.
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #64
JamsRunFree

Quote:
Just wondering, is this the same issue as the "CEL/SL/Idle Issue List for FR-S/BRZ Owners" ?

Also I’ve notice, if I drive until 100mph, clutch in and put it into neutral gear and let the car roll to a stop without stepping on the brake, after a few seconds, the engine will drop below 600rpm and go back to 700rpm. It will continue doing this a few times. Until the car comes to a complete stop. Plus when the rpm drop below 600, it will have a rattling sound.

So its like,
100mph - clutch in - let it roll - few seconds later - rpm drop below 600 - rattle sound - rpm go back to 700 - rattle sound disappear - few seconds again - rpm drop below 600 - rattle sound - rpm go back to 700 - rattle sound disappear. And it will continue until car reach a complete stop.

Can anyone try and let me know is yours like that to ?

I've only done 200mile on my 86.
There's a new tsb for a rattle that came out maybe like 3 weeks ago its not posted here but they showed it to me at dealership it's has to do with the shifter rattling maybe yours falls into that category mine only rattles with ac on going into a stop I think it's AC related haven't had any issues with it mechanically it just makes a really annoying rattle last like3 seconds and goes away so I'm just enjoying my car if anything breaks its already documented and they gonna cover it.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #65
Sookainian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsRunFree View Post
There's a new tsb for a rattle that came out maybe like 3 weeks ago its not posted here but they showed it to me at dealership it's has to do with the shifter rattling maybe yours falls into that category mine only rattles with ac on going into a stop I think it's AC related haven't had any issues with it mechanically it just makes a really annoying rattle last like3 seconds and goes away so I'm just enjoying my car if anything breaks its already documented and they gonna cover it.
Mine problem is exactly like Lee358. Watch the video at 0:25 onwards and notice the RPM. When it drop below 600, it rattle, for a few sec and when the RPM shot back up, the sound gone. Is the TSB for this problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee358 View Post
i was just going to post something about a rattle i hear when im breaking in neutral i took a video of it its around 27 seconds in when the speed gets right below 30 MPH

http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=IMG_1331.mp4

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #66
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB762 View Post
I noticed very quite chatter (or rattle) coming from engine at idle and it's continuous. That sounds like what others describe as DI.
Also, there is at least 10 times louder rattling lasting just for only 2-3 seconds, under conditions described in the original post, as well as by others.
I took the car to empty stretch of road for about 30 minutes and here my observations about latter:
- rattling occurs practically at any speed after some (even light) acceleration.
- occurs only at idle with clutch engaged (pedal depressed).
- unable to reproduce while in gear or with clutch pedal in.
- sounds and feels like vibration of rotating mass.

Have scheduled an appointment with dealership on thursday but I doubt they will be able to come to a conclusion.
My car does this. So has every other manual car I've owned. I believe it's the throw out bearing.

Apparently it's a very common thing with subarus and nothing to worry about.

My previous car had the noise for 80k miles with no issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #67
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
My 2002 WRX had that and my BRZ have it so I figured it's normal for Subaru.
It's gear noise.. And it's normal for lots of cars.. This being rear wheel drive.. The transmission is right there under the stick.. Combine that with minimal noise insulation and you hear the normal sounds of the mechanicals..
I had the same noises in my other sporty type cars.. When u push the clutch in, you disengage the gears in the tranny , so no noises.. When youu start off at low rpms.. U get that bouncing ball bearings noise in a can sound..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #68
JamsRunFree

the tsb is not for this they have it posted now in the tsb section check it out but mine does the exact same noise as in video

Quote:
Mine problem is exactly like Lee358. Watch the video at 0:25 onwards and notice the RPM. When it drop below 600, it rattle, for a few sec and when the RPM shot back up, the sound gone. Is the TSB for this problem ?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #69
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just a update on this from my end i never went to the dealer to check this out i just ignore it i actually dont even pay attention any more if something happens subaru will fix it but for now i just love my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee358 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee358 For This Useful Post:
|-Goku-| (07-10-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #70
Stevo22

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
It's gear noise.. And it's normal for lots of cars.. This being rear wheel drive.. The transmission is right there under the stick.. Combine that with minimal noise insulation and you hear the normal sounds of the mechanicals..
I had the same noises in my other sporty type cars.. When u push the clutch in, you disengage the gears in the tranny , so no noises.. When youu start off at low rpms.. U get that bouncing ball bearings noise in a can sound..
I have owned a few manual transmission vehicles (sr20 240sx, 370z, hardbody pickup, two nissan altimas) and have never had this noise. So when I first heard this noise I did think it was strange. I do not think it is a big issue, but it happens to me (and others from what I just read) when the car is in nuetral too. How similar is the transmission's state (ie gear configuration) when comparing cluth depression with the gears disengaged and the neutral position on the transmission?
Stevo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flywheel, rattle, transmission