follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #925
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Asus should really up their screen game. My nexus 7 screen broke while in closed case in my GF purse under a table when I kicked it.

Unrelated: anyone dyno stock vs open flash stage one 1.5x with drop-in? Been researching for months but don't recall if I've seen this.southern dyno would be best

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
This was 1.55 on stock car (3,700 miles) with an HKS drop in filter. The baseline I took a stock rom and set the IAM to 1.0 turned LTFT off and made both high & low det cam cables identical and ran 2-3 runs on each map to verify consistency.

Stock - OTS 1.55 - Custom dyno tune

I don't remember even looking at the logs, but iirc the later runs on the 1.55 started becoming richer but I had flashed it after doing stock baseline so trims did not settle. The dyno tune didn't have LTFT set on WOT. I don't have any from having miles on the car for LTFT to kick in.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
keen as (04-02-2014), Victor Draken (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #926
R2

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
This was 1.55 on stock car (3,700 miles) with an HKS drop in filter. The baseline I took a stock rom and set the IAM to 1.0 turned LTFT off and made both high & low det cam cables identical and ran 2-3 runs on each map to verify consistency.

I don't remember even looking at the logs, but iirc the later runs on the 1.55 started becoming richer but I had flashed it after doing stock baseline so trims did not settle. The dyno tune didn't have LTFT set on WOT. I don't have any from having miles on the car for LTFT to kick in.

If you could briefly summarize, what were the changes you made in the custom tune vs. the OFT 1.55 tune that resulted in the slight improvement?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #927
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the massive info. Could you tell me which line is the oft original?

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #928
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
things which are hard are inherently brittle.
Scary thought.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
bfsnail (04-17-2014), jamesm (04-02-2014), Turdinator (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #929
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Just flashed the E85 EL Stg 2, have a Perrin intake + silicone tube. Could someone take a look at my numbers quick and see if everything looks ok?

http://datazap.me/u/superhatch/oft-e...-perrin-intake

Edit: Car feels great.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #930
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
If you could briefly summarize, what were the changes you made in the custom tune vs. the OFT 1.55 tune that resulted in the slight improvement?
Actually it was a completely different tune that I made my self for a friends car. I just did a few small tweaks and did a few pulls to see how it did. I just didn't have the OTS vs stock plot otherwise I would have posted that. The difference in power was minimal. Remeber the OTS are generic one size fits most so it's not pushing as aggressively as the tune posted above as that was a tune for one single car.
Quote:
Thanks for the massive info. Could you tell me which line is the oft original?

Thick was the tune I made. Thin was OTS 1.55 dashed was stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
DC2R (04-02-2014), Victor Draken (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #931
DC2R

I am very impressed with your results. Awesome gains across the board. From this it looks like stock was about 138 hp peak yes? Would that be around 168 on a dynomax?
EDIT: Dynojet.
Was my brain is fried today lol
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #932
nelsmar

Quote:
I am very impressed with your results. Awesome gains across the board. From this it looks like stock was about 138 hp peak yes? Would that be around 168 on a dynomax?
EDIT: Dynojet.
Was my brain is fried today lol
I want to say it was ~136. I have the baseline somewhere. Stock cars on this dyno run 125-135WHP. I have seen drop in filter cars doing ~130-135WHP on average. Hence why I try to tell people look at the % gains. As for my own gains on that car was just a hair under 15% @ peak power, and the largest power gain at 7,400RPM at ~ 25%.

I am sure the OFT e-tune service would give similar gains having a tune dialed in for a specific car. That graph however can get you an idea of how much a shelf map may get (fresh flash, no learning, but AFR's were pretty much within 0.1 of target which should yeild similar results if your AFR learning lands near target) vs a dialed in dyno tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
DC2R (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #933
DC2R

Quote:
I want to say it was ~136. I have the baseline somewhere. Stock cars on this dyno run 125-135WHP. I have seen drop in filter cars doing ~130-135WHP on average. Hence why I try to tell people look at the % gains. As for my own gains on that car was just a hair under 15% @ peak power, and the largest power gain at 7,400RPM at ~ 25%.

I am sure the OFT e-tune service would give similar gains having a tune dialed in for a specific car. That graph however can get you an idea of how much a shelf map may get (fresh flash, no learning, but AFR's were pretty much within 0.1 of target) vs a dialed in dyno tune.
Was just watching Vishnu videos and learning how to go beyond just flashing OTS tunes. Would like to at least learn how to turn on and adjust LC

Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #934
Sirsimon

Drives: 2021 GR Supra A91 Edition
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Comparing an off-the-shelf tune (designed for the lowest common denominator) to a custom dyno tune should (nearly) always show positive gains. In my limited experience with Vishnu's work (just the OFT), I've been happy with the care Shiv takes to be cautious and tune for the worst case scenario.

I've paid to have a previous car pro-tuned (call it what ever you want) on a a Mustang dyno with every precaution taken for every change made to that car (not my 86, yet). I always felt it was worth it, but not everyone has the time or money to do so. For those people, the OFT and Shiv's off-the-shelf tunes represent great value. My "old" (based on a Subaru 2007 Spec.B) had WELL over 100 dyno runs. My 86 will be lucky to see 20-30 pulls, no matter what I choose to do with it.

Bottom line, off-the-shelf is adequate for 90% (or more) of car owners out there. If you crave that extra bit of performance and driveability, then you should absolutely eventually get a custom tune. But most people will be well served by the value of the OFT and Shiv's hard, thoughtful work.

DJ
Sirsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sirsimon For This Useful Post:
DC2R (04-02-2014), steve99 (04-02-2014), toysub (04-03-2014), zc06_kisstherain (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #935
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsimon View Post
Comparing an off-the-shelf tune (designed for the lowest common denominator) to a custom dyno tune should (nearly) always show positive gains. In my limited experience with Vishnu's work (just the OFT), I've been happy with the care Shiv takes to be cautious and tune for the worst case scenario.

I've paid to have a previous car pro-tuned (call it what ever you want) on a a Mustang dyno with every precaution taken for every change made to that car (not my 86, yet). I always felt it was worth it, but not everyone has the time or money to do so. For those people, the OFT and Shiv's off-the-shelf tunes represent great value. My "old" (based on a Subaru 2007 Spec.B) had WELL over 100 dyno runs. My 86 will be lucky to see 20-30 pulls, no matter what I choose to do with it.

Bottom line, off-the-shelf is adequate for 90% (or more) of car owners out there. If you crave that extra bit of performance and driveability, then you should absolutely eventually get a custom tune. But most people will be well served by the value of the OFT and Shiv's hard, thoughtful work.

DJ
Yup I agree fully. As long as your target afr and actual afr are lining up after trims come in the majority of the gains are had through the OTS maps. Unless you are drifting away from the exact part the OTS maps are designed for most of the cars line up pretty close and need minimal changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Sirsimon (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #936
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsimon View Post

DJ
Yes the 1.55 stage one is excellent. I guarantee if Shiv tuned the twins for Toyota/Subaru before releasing them all those "only thing wrong with car...."reviews would never exist.

The Following User Says Thank You to DC2R For This Useful Post:
Sirsimon (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #937
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes the 1.55 stage one is excellent. I guarantee if Shiv tuned the twins for Toyota/Subaru before releasing them all those "only thing wrong with car...."reviews would never exist.

That is why I said elsewhere that with the Stage1 tune, I think there is a good change the FA20 could win Ward's 10 Best due to its efficiency, technology, power, and refinement. Unfortunately it is really lacking in the refinement department.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines

Edit: It looks like the FA20 won for 2013 lol. It would have been higher on the list though. Our Grand Cherokee has that Pentastar 3.6L which is on there multiple times and for as fantastic as it is, I still like the FA20 more.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #938
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
Scary thought.
Yes, it is - more than you probably know. You should have seen the pictures from the medical malpractice case I had in which a general practice physician had urological problems and the urologist screwed up.

Imagine a long narrow empty balloon. Apply fingernail polish to one small spot on one side. Let dry. Blow up balloon. The nearly 90 degree angled balloon you now have is what the general practice physician's unmentionables looked like.
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#lolwut, divinecomedy, dopeandcashcabinet, free shiv now, goddamitimissedit, golden cage, i missed the show, looks good, missed the fun, omgbbq, shiv 2016, thefatandthefurriest