follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #1
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SPOON rigid collars install

SPOON Rigid Collars

I'm gonna try my best to explain the differences after installing the rigid collars. For those of you not aware of this product, YouTube has a great video of a Prius installed with the collars and that video explains it way better than I ever can so please reference it here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog"]Rigid Collar - Spoon Sports Europe - English Version - YouTube[/ame]

Ok onto the differences. I'll start in the order of most significant to small. The biggest difference is the lack of vibration. Before the install, there were lots of unwanted small, high frequency vibrations in the chassis, even on relatively smooth flat roads. I believe it was probably due to the fact that the area where the chassis and the front crossmember touches is not flat. I like how one of my friends put it; it feels more like a BMW, in a sense that jarring vibrations are non existent.

Second biggest thing I've noticed is vertical movement of the car, or rather, lack of it. Before the collars were installed, when the car drove through a dip or a bump, it would try and absorb the impact, but would take a bit of time to recover. Simply put, it used to be a "boing boing boing" vs "boing". The car stays a lot more planted and recovers in a lot less time now. It's as if I installed higher end dampers on the car (can't wait to actually do so in conjunction with these collars). It almost feels like I have shorter/stiffer springs without the unwanted harshness.

Another difference is how much better the steering stays on-center. It's almost weird how little corrections I make driving the car. After getting wider wheels and tires, the car would tug along the expansion joints or undulating surfaces (especially under braking), but the car drives through them without even feeling like they're there now. Sometimes the freeways here in California have two different types of Tarmac laid, and half of my car would be on one and other side on the other, making it extremely difficult to drive the car straight, but the "tugging" effect is very minimized, if not completely gone.

Now, I do think cars already equipped with high end suspension may not feel it as much (due to good dampening), but it was a very good learning experience on my part that. I thought I would gain more NVH due to a more solid connection to the chassis, but it in fact worked the other way around. If this theory stays true my solid rear bushings for the rear subframe (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=61522&page=2) will also have a very positive effect. Can't wait to install those!

here is one of the holes on the chassis; notice how misaligned it was!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good to know the high price tag has some merit. Will add this to my mod list.

Did you get the rigid collar kit for the rear as well? Or would it have not worked in conjunction with the sub-frame inserts you purchased? (I'm planning to get the Whiteline rear sub-frame inserts)
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
so where exactly does this mount to, the sub frame? this might be a dumb question, but how exactly do these inserts improve overall dampening of the struts? is it because it's using the chassis flex as a way to absorb extra energy? though, even without the inserts, I believe the chassis would flex the same way with properly torqued bolts. I watched the video but it hasn't really explained anything except for the fact that the inserts are supposed to fill in extra space between two surfaces. I'm assuming if everything is torqued correctly, there shouldn't be any movement between the two surfaces in the first place.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Good to know the high price tag has some merit. Will add this to my mod list.

Did you get the rigid collar kit for the rear as well? Or would it have not worked in conjunction with the sub-frame inserts you purchased? (I'm planning to get the Whiteline rear sub-frame inserts)
I was under the impression that it wouldn't work with the revolution garage subframe bushings.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
so where exactly does this mount to, the sub frame? this might be a dumb question, but how exactly do these inserts improve overall dampening of the struts? is it because it's using the chassis flex as a way to absorb extra energy? though, even without the inserts, I believe the chassis would flex the same way with properly torqued bolts. I watched the video but it hasn't really explained anything except for the fact that the inserts are supposed to fill in extra space between two surfaces. I'm assuming if everything is torqued correctly, there shouldn't be any movement between the two surfaces in the first place.
It's not improving the dampening but it feels that way. You can torque down the crossmember bolts all you want but since the area where the chassis and the crossmember touches is not 100% smooth and flat (and they are stiff materials) you will have small movements. Having said that it's more of a feel good mod vs I spent $200 how many seconds have I shaved at the track, but the way my car feels now I would never go back. But again I do think that it will shave lap times though because the front end takes less time to recover from bouncing around and no road in this world is perfectly flat.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
It's not improving the dampening but it feels that way. You can torque down the crossmember bolts all you want but since the area where the chassis and the crossmember touches is not 100% smooth and flat (and they are stiff materials) you will have small movements. Having said that it's more of a feel good mod vs I spent $200 how many seconds have I shaved at the track, but the way my car feels now I would never go back. But again I do think that it will shave lap times though because the front end takes less time to recover from bouncing around and no road in this world is perfectly flat.
This.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (01-03-2016)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
interesting. im gonna have to look into getting this soon too. thanks for sharing!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
where did you buy your set from, and I'm assuming it's front and rear? is an alignment necessary after reinstalling the subframe?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This.
You just like them cuz its Spoon. #hondafanboi

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
crash

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How does this differ from the subframe bushing inserts (positive traction kit) from Whiteline?
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
where did you buy your set from, and I'm assuming it's front and rear? is an alignment necessary after reinstalling the subframe?
PROVA makes them for our cars. front and rear. I didn't buy the rears as I have something else going on the car for the rear. alignment is required after the install.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
How does this differ from the subframe bushing inserts (positive traction kit) from Whiteline?
whiteline stuff will help tremendously but mostly in the vertical movement of things. Rigid collars also prevent lateral movement of the subframe/crossmember.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Vendor?
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Http://Rigidcollar.com