follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #71
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I love them too, but there are two problems with the Primacy HP's: price and weather capability, I don't have to worry about the latter just the former. If I come across a set of Primacy HP's that are low mileage and cheap (everybody the first year were dumping them before they filled up the tank for the first time) I'll pick them up and mount them when I use up the tires I have now, otherwise there are many better performance options for less money. It isn't worth the extra $80-$200 imo.
Local pilot has a set for sale cheap with OEM wheels included. The wheels would sell on priuschat.com for about his asking price. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...92#post2097099
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #72
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Say No to stock tires

I was one of the 1st few in Florida to get my Red FRS. I got it an hour away in Daytona. So I drove the car home on I95. Tramlining (following road ruts) was bad. I had seen this before with Corvettes. I am used to driving cars stable at speed. The FRS is not as stable at speed as the other car from Japan in my car collection. My Roush Mustang feels stable at speed but sits up a lot higher than my Japan cars so it's a different feel to driving at speed. After the hour drive I was very disappointed in the tire choice by Toyota, but I understand that if the car came with sticky extreme performance summer tires that most of the young kids buying the car would be wrapping them around telephone poles. I firmly believe that the Primacy Tires have saved many lives due to the fact that you can't really toss the car into a corner at megaspeed and feel safe enough to risk it.

I have been using Dunlop Direzza tires for years on my tricked out '92 Maxima SE for years. I bought the car new and over the years put a lot of money to modify the car. I have a trick suspension on it and it is lowered by 2". I have had many tires on the car and I was living in NJ for most of the life of the car. I have had many tires on it with racing rims from Japan. But the Dunlop Direzzas for the best grip in temps above 45 degress that I have used.

So I ordered the same day after driving home my FRS a set of tires and wheels from Tire Rack. Kosei ultra lightweight rims and Dunlop Direzza 215 tires. I got them 2 days later and put them on. WOW WOW WOW. The whole stability of the car was light years ahead. I could now take my hands of the wheel and the car would drive itself. Hit a corner and double the grip was there. I steering feel that matched the best sports cars out there was reached. Can't say enough. I ended up a week later putting 225 width tires that I had extra for my Maxima on the back to make it look better proportioned. It didn't hurt the handling of the car and looked a whole heck of a lot better. If you never drive an FRS with extreme performance tires, you will never know how well the car drives. To me, the stock tires are a safety net for new drivers.

So there you have it. I recommend that you don't go too wide with the tires and loose steering feel, and you will also add weight. If you don't modify the hp of the car too much,,,, you can get some lightweight wheels and save 30 lbs of unsprung weight, add Dunlop Direzza or BF Rivals. This difference is astounding. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big D Design For This Useful Post:
torqdork (01-20-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #73
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I may go with the A/S 3 after the PSS wears out. The sticky PSS is preventing me from breaking 30mpg.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #74
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The A/S 3's are pretty sticky as well, just so you know. I get about 1-2 mpg less than the Primacy's. IMO, now that I've been driving on the A/S 3's for a little while now, I can say that there's absolutely no comparison between the them and the stock Primacy's.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #75
Lateral G

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow + Perf Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky369 View Post
Honestly I think the stock tires aren't that bad, sure they chirp a bit and aren't as grippy as the Z1 I had before but I like it. Would it be weird if my tires needs to be replaced and I ask for exact match of pairs of tires?

Anyone on my side? If not feel free to shit on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love the OEM tires. Great grip but toss able. I kinda took the fun out of my Miata by putting MPSS on. They are too grippy.
Lateral G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #76
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Garage
Also, they are pretty good in the left lane... I wasn't passed by anything super fast.

[ame]http://youtu.be/pDa4J4zJdy0[/ame]
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #77
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky369 View Post
Damn I need a dashcam from now on, cali cops are not kidding.
It won't help.

If the officer has a recorded speed gun figure, they will favour it.
If the office does not have a recorded speed gun, it depends what they fined/charged you for. If it was speeding, in the UK they wouldn't issue a ticket, if it was reckless or dangerous driving, driving without due care etc. etc. Your dash cam footage won't help either.

Besides, the GPS on dashcam's are pathetic in the grand scheme of things. They have a refresh rate of about 1Hz and the speed is averaged over about 5 seconds worth of positions. You can stop the car from 30mph and the dashcam still shows 30mph when you are stationary! Inversely you can accelerate from a standstill to 37mph and back to 30mph and the dash cam will never show anything over 30.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #78
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
I may go with the A/S 3 after the PSS wears out. The sticky PSS is preventing me from breaking 30mpg.
I have A/S 3 tires but I barely hit 27 MPG. I drive pretty aggressively though, and rarely use the highway / freeway. I love them though. Just enough grip to handle well, but not so much that I can't get the end out if I really try to.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #79
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
I have A/S 3 tires but I barely hit 27 MPG. I drive pretty aggressively though, and rarely use the highway / freeway. I love them though. Just enough grip to handle well, but not so much that I can't get the end out if I really try to.
I am currently using the PSS. So I am pretty much stuck at around 30mpg.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #80
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I like the feel of the stock tires, but at about 20K they started a thrumming noise that I have only had with Michelin tires. Wheels are aligned, balanced, etc. so it is the tires. I am going with some other brand. Besides, they are about $200 per new, compared with about half that for other high performance summer tires.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #81
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I moved the stock wheels and primacys to my WRX - on that car they feel great! Nice quiet ride. Car feels light on its feet. I don't ever lose traction or squeal the tires.

On the BRZ they squealed around every turn and had no grip. PSS solved that problem.

I was shocked how different the Primacys behaved on the WRX. 500lbs heavier and awd really tames them.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #82
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I would buy the stock tires over and over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
I like the feel of the stock tires, but at about 20K they started a thrumming noise that I have only had with Michelin tires. Wheels are aligned, balanced, etc. so it is the tires. I am going with some other brand. Besides, they are about $200 per new, compared with about half that for other high performance summer tires.

Not a lot ppl uses Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Positions but I heard they are good & with more emphasis on comfort/noise lv when u go through like bridge gap on the road and etc. obviously not as good at performance compare to like PSS but I think they are really good for daily.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #83
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I moved the stock wheels and primacys to my WRX - on that car they feel great! Nice quiet ride. Car feels light on its feet. I don't ever lose traction or squeal the tires.

On the BRZ they squealed around every turn and had no grip. PSS solved that problem.

I was shocked how different the Primacys behaved on the WRX. 500lbs heavier and awd really tames them.
You probably just drive slower in the WRX. Really. The Primacy tires have high limits, but the twins give crazy confidence so you drive faster.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-17-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #84
CTB727

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The stock tires are a lot of fun; they're predictable, relatively quiet (compared to my RS3 race set) comfortable and seem to last a long time. I'd buy them if they weren't so damn expensive. Cost alone is the reason I will go with something else when it's time to replace the tires on my stock wheels.
CTB727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTB727 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-17-2015), Teseo (02-19-2015)