follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
gskv

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CANbus Coding in FRS/BRZ

Are there any talented individuals that are able to perform these functions on these cars?

IE.,

1. Roll windows up/down with keyfob
2. Disable seatbelt chime (track purpose for seat removal/harness)
3. Leave foglights ON while highbeams are ON

I know VAGCOM and BMW's EDIBIAS tools have been present for awhile now...unless the JDM Toyota crowd just isn't as smart? :p
gskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
There are quite a few smart fellows who post in the tuning forums and the romraider forums (and techstream folks), might want to post here and see who responds:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskv View Post
Are there any talented individuals that are able to perform these functions on these cars?

IE.,

1. Roll windows up/down with keyfob
2. Disable seatbelt chime (track purpose for seat removal/harness)
3. Leave foglights ON while highbeams are ON

I know VAGCOM and BMW's EDIBIAS tools have been present for awhile now...unless the JDM Toyota crowd just isn't as smart? :p
2 and 3 can be done in a few ways I believe but 1 is impossible since the windows are strictly switch activated and not BCU controlled.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
gskv

Drives: 2017 BRZ
But how?

Tuning seems to be specific to Engine Control Unit and not other units such as lighting, convenience features etc..

One thing I don't understand that is why doesn't the keyfob allow me to lock my car when the vehicle is started? (Comfort Access/Smart Key option)
gskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
But how?

Tuning seems to be specific to Engine Control Unit and not other units such as lighting, convenience features etc..

One thing I don't understand that is why doesn't the keyfob allow me to lock my car when the vehicle is started? (Comfort Access/Smart Key option)
I'm guessing it's to prevent you locking your key inside the car or something like that (key falls out of your pocket as you get out of the seat and coincidentally hits the lock button as you shut the door, etc). how likely is it to accidentally lock while you're not in the car? probably not likely but it is still a possibility. I would like to lock my car when it's running though... sometimes a quick run into the post office without shutting off the car would be nice.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
But how?

Outside my skill base but I hear good things about Carista. Keep in mind that if the controls are not there in the first place you will not get an option to change them. The door lock may very well be an on off function though. The upscale cars can have a lot more turned on and off because they have a lot more that is controlled through the system. We really don't have much on our cars.

Check it out here:

http://www.caristaapp.com/
Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I'm guessing it's to prevent you locking your key inside the car or something like that (key falls out of your pocket as you get out of the seat and coincidentally hits the lock button as you shut the door, etc). how likely is it to accidentally lock while you're not in the car? probably not likely but it is still a possibility. I would like to lock my car when it's running though... sometimes a quick run into the post office without shutting off the car would be nice.
That's a possibility... Most likely it's done to prevent kids from playing around in the car, locking it, and then not being able to get out. Nothing says lawsuit faster than a dead child in a small garage with the engine of the car they died in running.
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
VCDS person here, too. This DENSO stuff sure isn't Bosch....
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
You can roll the windows up/down with CANbus the problem is you can't do it if the ignition is off. You can also control the doorlocks via CANbus but again, only when the ignition is on. I was really wanting to build my own proxy unlock via an Arduino connected to the canbus but it's not possible because of the ignition requirement.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
As for #2 you can do that with Carista and/or with Techstream. Techstream is the tool Toyota uses to changing these settings, diag, keyfob pairing, data logging ect ect. You just need a compatible cable (Amazon for $18). The software is easy to find with Google.

I'm not sure about the foglights. I don't have fogs so it's not a setting I've looked for in Techstream.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:33 PM   #11
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You can roll the windows up/down with CANbus the problem is you can't do it if the ignition is off. You can also control the doorlocks via CANbus but again, only when the ignition is on. I was really wanting to build my own proxy unlock via an Arduino connected to the canbus but it's not possible because of the ignition requirement.
For now, I've found a way around that by triggering the ACC mode. This is NOT Ideal at all but it works in the meantime.
I will keep sniffing techstream so find a way to trigger and send power to the module responsible. I mean when you think about it. you can still roll down/up window even after the ignition is off for about 40 seconds (as long as the door isn't opened during that time span).
Another Bonus, I am able to control the HVAC too (techstream really does come in handy
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:08 AM   #12
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Additionally, unlocking the accelerometer would be awesome. I’m very surprised someone hasn’t figured that one out yet.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:45 AM   #13
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
Additionally, unlocking the accelerometer would be awesome. I’m very surprised someone hasn’t figured that one out yet.
are you referring to the mid refresh (2017+) in-dash lcd screen sowing the g-force meter for the brz?
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #14
ajaxburger

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited Perf. Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Outside my skill base but I hear good things about Carista. Keep in mind that if the controls are not there in the first place you will not get an option to change them. The door lock may very well be an on off function though. The upscale cars can have a lot more turned on and off because they have a lot more that is controlled through the system. We really don't have much on our cars.

Check it out here:

http://www.caristaapp.com/
I have a Carista adapter and can confirm that the seatbelt chime is something that can be adjusted in Carista as well as things like the sensitivity of the auto headlight sensor in the dash.. No high beam + fog settings though. From what I understand, their team needs to enable the option for you to access it if it's even doable.

I will say though it's a bit barren compared to what I expect (coming from VCDS and Bimmercode vehicles). Not worth the price of the dongle / subscription to license in my opinion.

Techstream definitely sounds far more promising for the price though may be a bit more complicated than some are comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
For now, I've found a way around that by triggering the ACC mode. This is NOT Ideal at all but it works in the meantime.
I will keep sniffing techstream so find a way to trigger and send power to the module responsible. I mean when you think about it. you can still roll down/up window even after the ignition is off for about 40 seconds (as long as the door isn't opened during that time span).
Another Bonus, I am able to control the HVAC too (techstream really does come in handy
Have considered picking up a tech stream dongle, just don't have a laptop to mess around with it on. Is it worth picking up one of the Amazon $49 dongles that comes with version 18?