follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
greighn

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another DIY Armrest

I got tired of waiting for the "official" armrest from Toyota so I thought I throw one together. It was actually fairly easy and only cost about $25 in materials, some of which I already had lying around the house. One word of caution, this method does require a little bit of sewing (you know, with a needle and thread). I figure if you guys and install a new exhaust or a turbo unit, you can certainly handle a needle and thread!!

Materials:
1 foot of black vinyl fabric (from my local Jo-Ann's fabric store). They have a large variety of different colors and textures. I chose the Whisper Black, which has a nice matte finish. It costs $21.99/yd but you only need a foot long section to make two or three of these.
A piece of 1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
A 1" thick piece of foam cushion (from Jo-Ann's it was their "Chairpad" foam sold in multiple thicknesses and sizes.) You can change the thickness of your armrest by using thicker or thinner foam.
A spool of heavy duty upholstery thread and a needle.

Here is what the vinyl I chose looks like:

I wanted mine to be a rectangle and to leave the gap at the front open for a cell phone or MP3 player power cord to exit. I chose the size of 6.5" by 16", which covers the entire opening and then some.

First, cut the MDF to 6.5" x 16". Same with the foam (using the MDF as the template). Sand the MDF on all sides and lightly round all the corners to avoid sharp edges.

Lay the foam and then the MDF on top of a vinyl, with the black face down. The vinyl has a white fabric backing. Mark the outline of the foam/MDF with a marker so you will know where to cut the corners.

Now, cut the corners as shown. You can then gather a corner inside out and sew from the corner down about 1 1/2" (or the height of the combined foam and MDF). After sewing all four corners, turn the vinyl inside out and put it black side down. Now insert the foam followed by the MDF.

Start at one of the narrow ends and pull the vinyl taught and lay the edge on the back of the MDF. Using a heavy duty staple gun, secure the edge of the vinyl to the MDF (The MDF is incredibly hard to staple into. If the staple doesn't penetrate the entire way take a hammer and finish the job.)

Next, do the opposite end and then the two long sides, pulling the vinyl taught before stapling. Try to avoid any bunching or sags. You can always pull out the staple and try again if it's not quite right.

Once all the sides are done, the next part is always the hardest for me, the corners. Try and remove as much material as you can at each corner and fold the remainder over and staple it to the MDF. You want to have a nice flat fold, not a thick bunch of vinyl at each corner. I was partially successful!

Here is what it looks like from the top:

Here is how it looks sitting in the car.

I came up with a method to have the armrest slide open to access the contents. I made two tracks out of 90 degree angle aluminum and mounted them on the bottom as shown below. I had to curve the ends so they would slide up to the curved section of the opening.

Here is a picture of the armrest in the open position:

It is not secured with anything so it can be removed easily.

Last edited by greighn; 11-18-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added photos of slide mount.
greighn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greighn For This Useful Post:
calis5nest (08-25-2012), Dadhawk (08-26-2012), dura1198 (08-26-2012), F1point4 (08-26-2012), Fish Eagle (05-03-2013), korhun (09-08-2019), kwood9000 (11-14-2012), Rayme (11-14-2012), russv (08-25-2012), Sall (08-25-2012), Username (08-26-2012), |-Goku-| (08-25-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
this looks great. there was another thread for armrests and there was a picture of one that slid back. if you could finaggle some rails or something so you could get it to slide back instead of pop up then i think that'd be awesome. but it does look great!
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Added to the DIY Directory:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7365
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greighn View Post
I got tired of waiting for the "official" armrest from Toyota so I thought I throw one together. It was actually fairly easy and only cost about $25 in materials, some of which I already had lying around the house. One word of caution, this method does require a little bit of sewing (you know, with a needle and thread). I figure if you guys and install a new exhaust or a turbo unit, you can certainly handle a needle and thread!!

Materials:
1 foot of black vinyl fabric (from my local Jo-Ann's fabric store). They have a large variety of different colors and textures. I chose the Whisper Black, which has a nice matte finish. It costs $21.99/yd but you only need a foot long section to make two or three of these.
A piece of 1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
A 1" thick piece of foam cushion (from Jo-Ann's it was their "Chairpad" foam sold in multiple thicknesses and sizes.) You can change the thickness of your armrest by using thicker or thinner foam.
A spool of heavy duty upholstery thread and a needle.

Here is what the vinyl I chose looks like:

I wanted mine to be a rectangle and to leave the gap at the front open for a cell phone or MP3 player power cord to exit. I chose the size of 6.5" by 16", which covers the entire opening and then some.

First, cut the MDF to 6.5" x 16". Same with the foam (using the MDF as the template). Sand the MDF on all sides and lightly round all the corners to avoid sharp edges.

Lay the foam and then the MDF on top of a vinyl, with the black face down. The vinyl has a white fabric backing. Mark the outline of the foam/MDF with a marker so you will know where to cut the corners.

Now, cut the corners as shown. You can then gather a corner inside out and sew from the corner down about 1 1/2" (or the height of the combined foam and MDF). After sewing all four corners, turn the vinyl inside out and put it black side down. Now insert the foam followed by the MDF.

Start at one of the narrow ends and pull the vinyl taught and lay the edge on the back of the MDF. Using a heavy duty staple gun, secure the edge of the vinyl to the MDF (The MDF is incredibly hard to staple into. If the staple doesn't penetrate the entire way take a hammer and finish the job.)

Next, do the opposite end and then the two long sides, pulling the vinyl taught before stapling. Try to avoid any bunching or sags. You can always pull out the staple and try again if it's not quite right.

Once all the sides are done, the next part is always the hardest for me, the corners. Try and remove as much material as you can at each corner and fold the remainder over and staple it to the MDF. You want to have a nice flat fold, not a thick bunch of vinyl at each corner. I was partially successful!

Here is what it looks like from the top:

Here is how it looks sitting in the car. I am still looking at how to best secure it, possibly with a hinge so I can easily access the contents of the space below or use the cup holders. I'll post some picture if I come up with anything interesting on that topic.

Is there any functionality to this thing? Did you attach it with hinges or anything? More pics please. Looks good though. I was thinking about doing one, but without padding. Just maybe some plush leather (thick heavy duty leather) Cup holders would be cool, but not sure if its practical cause ur elbow kinda sits right where you'd want a cup holder.
ravenblackfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That looks good. Im gonna have my friend who sews make it lol
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblackfrs View Post
Is there any functionality to this thing? Did you attach it with hinges or anything? More pics please. Looks good though. I was thinking about doing one, but without padding. Just maybe some plush leather (thick heavy duty leather) Cup holders would be cool, but not sure if its practical cause ur elbow kinda sits right where you'd want a cup holder.

I sat in the OP's car and from what I remember there are no hinges. It is a good height and size overall for someone who wants an arm rest for those long drives without fun roads. It's a simple but efficiently executed idea.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
greighn

Drives: Scion FR-S
Ravenblackfrs and Laika,

I finally did come up with a way to mount the armrest so it slides open for limited access to the contents. See the original post for some new photos. Basically, I mounted two 90 degree angle aluminum pieces top the bottom. They are curved to match the curve in the opening so the armrest slides all the way forward in the closed position. I don't use the cup holders so that wasn't a priority to keep them with this method. It is also not permanently secured as I didn't want to make any holes until I see what the OEM armrest will look like.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

-Gary.
greighn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
mikepaul21

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I did the same idea but i used cabinet hinges so I have full access to the center console.

mikepaul21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
LazerBrZ

Drives: Silver Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but I just picked up the materials for this today. I'll be doing the same vinyl on the sides, but with a black suede on top to match the BRZ seat with red thread to stitch it all up. I also opted for 1/2" foam instead of the full 1". Might take me a little to get this done, but I have nothing better to do this weekend so I'll post pics once I get it done.
LazerBrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LazerBrZ For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (01-23-2016), YEAHdams (11-25-2014)