follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
pevsfreedom

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some advice needed please

Previous threads

1) https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137119
2) https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137226

So I swapped the engine since my stock one threw a rod. New engine is in, had to swap quite a lot of parts for the new engine being "stock longblock". Right now I'm getting ~3-5 codes, depending on the day, mostly about air fuel ratio imbalance and bank 1/cylinder 1 issues. I could post specific codes but I don't know what good it will do.

It basically runs very roughly, like it's gasping for air. It shakes and jerks quite a bit, and rattles. At higher RPM's it's fine. Out of first and 2nd are pretty terrible to sit through. It lunges and pulls rather than "pushes" like a RWD should. It just feels all kinds of wrong. My greatest concern however is something causing MORE damage - I don't mind it driving like crap but I can't afford another major malfunction.

My question is thus: What should I do now? The car runs for about an hour before a solid check engine light comes on. It doesn't blink - but sometimes it goes into "limp" mode. I think I've reached the limit of what I know how to do (swap parts). Should I go to a tuner shop to reset the ECU - would that fix most of my problems? I believe all the mechanical connections and parts are fine, which leaves the problem beyond my control. Or my friend wants to keep swapping parts, which is obviously crappy now that the engine is in - or should I go to a mechanic? I don't even know what I'd tell them (I swapped the engine and a bunch of parts, here fix it). Or should I just roll the thing on a lot and trade it in, lol (seriously considering). Any ideas?
pevsfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote