follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #1
alchemy

Drives: 86 GTS 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Do I need to revert back to stock tune before servicing?

Hi all,

My car needs to get serviced in about two weeks. I'm currently running the OFT stage 1 tune, and I was wondering if I need to or should revert back to the stock tune before I send my car in for servicing? I get it serviced at an official toyota servicing centre, FYI, and it will be my car's 2nd service.

I'd like to avoid returning back to stock tune as it would take a while for the car to relearn the tune after servicing.

Thanks
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Hi all,

My car needs to get serviced in about two weeks. I'm currently running the OFT stage 1 tune, and I was wondering if I need to or should revert back to the stock tune before I send my car in for servicing? I get it serviced at an official toyota servicing centre, FYI, and it will be my car's 2nd service.

I'd like to avoid returning back to stock tune as it would take a while for the car to relearn the tune after servicing.

Thanks

No don't worry about it, unless they are planning on flashing something to the ecu like a reflash of some sort (which they will tell you beforehand) it's a non issue, if it's for warranty work in the future you can still run the tune as long as it's not something that involves the ECU directly otherwise flash to stock. The OFT roms are almost totally undetectable, to techstream for them it'll read as stock because the ecu isn't locked like ecutek roms.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 04-16-2016 at 06:01 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
alchemy (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I would revert back if you can. I bright my car in for a throw out bearing replacement and they checked my ECU. Although I was stupidly running an e85 tune at the time... They ended up asking if I changed anything in the ECU. Took them two days to get a response from subaru of America and they actually advised the dealership to not work on my car but since the dealership strongly felt it was pure mechanical error they worked on it anyways.

It's just a 10 minute process, I'd flash back.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-06-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:17 AM   #4
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I would revert back if you can. I bright my car in for a throw out bearing replacement and they checked my ECU. Although I was stupidly running an e85 tune at the time... They ended up asking if I changed anything in the ECU. Took them two days to get a response from subaru of America and they actually advised the dealership to not work on my car but since the dealership strongly felt it was pure mechanical error they worked on it anyways.

You went for a warranty job, not a service. They're completely unrelated. Why do people keep repeating this crap after 4 years?
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

That has nothing to do with service as Wayno said it's completely unrelated that was an attempt at a warranty repair also you were running e85 not the 91 or 93 tune, the ecu will not show any signs of tampering regardless....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 04-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
That has nothing to do with service as Wayno said it's completely unrelated that was an attempt at a warranty repair also you were running e85 not the 91 or 93 tune, the ecu will not show any signs of tampering regardless....
Correct, it's been mentioned that this is regarding servicing.

Interesting you guys say it'll show no tampering with a modified tune loaded. They tried to connect to my ECU and ran into an issue. They asked if I modified it. Had to say yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
RichardsFRS (04-16-2016), Tcoat (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
You went for a warranty job, not a service. They're completely unrelated. Why do people keep repeating this crap after 4 years?
Service, warranty, free nitrogen for the tires or windshield washer fluid top up if you take a modded car into the dealer you run the risk of them discovering your mods. Yes, even a tune when the helpful service guy realizes there is a new flash out and decides to do it without saying anything (they should tell you beforehand but that does not mean they will). You go in for an oil change and the tech notes "car running on E85" in the computer system then good luck with an engine related warranty claim at some later date.
"We would love to help you there Mr Wayn but our system shows that on April 16, 2016 your car was clearly modified".
Not saying they will notice any mods but you run a risk of it happening and the bigger the mod the bigger the risk. People need to know that and decide if the level of risk is acceptable to them before they take it in.
THAT is why this "crap" is still being repeated after 4 years.
jcw99 (07-06-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A properly installed OFT ROM should not be obvious to the dealer even if they hook techstream to it. It will report the ROM ID just like the stock ROM, if you did it correctly.
To know it is not a stock ROM, they would have to download it and compare it to the stock rom or do a checksum and compare to the checksum of the stock ROM.

Did you figure out which ROM you had on the car and downloaded an OFT ROM with the same ROM ID?

If a tech at the dealer is VERY familiar with the car, there are other telltale signs of a tune, like the warmup duration and RPMs when the engine is cold.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Correct, it's been mentioned that this is regarding servicing.

Interesting you guys say it'll show no tampering with a modified tune loaded. They tried to connect to my ECU and ran into an issue. They asked if I modified it. Had to say yes.
What error did they get exactly? You have a 2013 which is know to have finnicky obd2 ports was it a comm error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
A properly installed OFT ROM should not be obvious to the dealer even if they hook techstream to it. It will report the ROM ID just like the stock ROM, if you did it correctly.
To know it is not a stock ROM, they would have to download it and compare it to the stock rom or do a checksum and compare to the checksum of the stock ROM.

Did you figure out which ROM you had on the car and downloaded an OFT ROM with the same ROM ID?

If a tech at the dealer is VERY familiar with the car, there are other telltale signs of a tune, like the warmup duration and RPMs when the engine is cold.

Exactly this if you've used techstream and even seen there SST tools you'd know they have no way of noticing the changed rom, the cal id for them is OEM. They'd have to delve super deep and get someone from corporate to pull the roms from the ecu for analysis.A normal dealer can't do that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
justatroll (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
What error did they get exactly? You have a 2013 which is know to have finnicky obd2 ports was it a comm error?

I was running the stock A01C Stage 2 EL E85 ROM from OFT. Don't recall which version, this was last summer time. I was wlaking back to my car after it had already been brought to the bay to pick up my sunglasses w hen I saw two techs looking at their computer with a puzzled look. I introduced myself as the owner of the car and that's when they asked if I modified the ECU. I can't say if they were downloading anything but they did say they run diagnostics on all warranty work (yeah sorry i know this is a service thread lol). Fortunately I had the Grimmspeed intake on at the time and told them I had tuned it for that rather than E85. Maybe they looked into it further and found out I was running alternative fuel and I"m secretly flagged. The dealership just used the term "modified your vehicle" when they updated me what Subaru of America told them. But I've had three clutch services since without issue.

Just saying, in my case, in regards to the OFT not being detectable, they ran into some issue when they connected to my ECU. Unfortuantely I don't have any actual details.

For servicing though, I can't imagine them connecting up to your ECU. Not sure if dealerships go for teset drives after basic services are done, but the OFT tune does have that distinct 4k rasp. If the tech notices that, they might mention to have that noise checked out next time. But that's really stretching things haha.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
I was running the stock A01C Stage 2 EL E85 ROM from OFT. Don't recall which version, this was last summer time. I was wlaking back to my car after it had already been brought to the bay to pick up my sunglasses w hen I saw two techs looking at their computer with a puzzled look. I introduced myself as the owner of the car and that's when they asked if I modified the ECU. I can't say if they were downloading anything but they did say they run diagnostics on all warranty work (yeah sorry i know this is a service thread lol). Fortunately I had the Grimmspeed intake on at the time and told them I had tuned it for that rather than E85. Maybe they looked into it further and found out I was running alternative fuel and I"m secretly flagged. The dealership just used the term "modified your vehicle" when they updated me what Subaru of America told them. But I've had three clutch services since without issue.

Just saying, in my case, in regards to the OFT not being detectable, they ran into some issue when they connected to my ECU. Unfortuantely I don't have any actual details.

For servicing though, I can't imagine them connecting up to your ECU. Not sure if dealerships go for teset drives after basic services are done, but the OFT tune does have that distinct 4k rasp. If the tech notices that, they might mention to have that noise checked out next time. But that's really stretching things haha.

Well in my case for the TSB to reflash my TCM, and for emissions inspections I've left the OFT tune stage 1 93 in there and they have had 0 issues.